Starting over and over again

Options
KateD0707
KateD0707 Posts: 31 Member
edited September 2017 in Getting Started
Anyone else do this?

What I would like to know is how you finally broke through that barrier and actually found the motivation and determination?!
I have started so many times over the last few years and got nowhere.
Now I need and must do this, for me. I am just getting bigger and unhappier each day! I think my issue is, I don't believe it can work as it 'hasn't' in the past but I also know that is because I never really done it....
I seem to have this vicious cycle going on.
Any success stories, tips etc would be welcome.

Replies

• dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be torture, in fact it can become fun. It does work and once you start seeing those pounds coming off, logging becomes almost addictive in itself. All day long I watch my numbers and try to purposely choose foods that will get me as close to my goals as possible. I slowly add exercise starting with very low impact and gradually working up to a more moderate amount. It is really icing on the cake, since you will lose just following your calculated daily allotments of intake. Have MFP calculate your starting point, then choose a reasonable activity level and calorie loss goal. I like to see 2 lbs a week coming off in the beginning and my age puts me at a 1200 calorie diet, which within a few days I adjust to with no problems. Often I add my foods before I eat them just to make sure I'm in the correct range and always leave 200 calories for after dinner snacking. I add on extra calories burned when I do something extra like clean the house or do yard work, which acts as a motivator to get me moving. Go ahead and eat back these calories to start until you get used to your level and don't need them. You shouldn't need to ever feel hungry. Most of the time I leave these as extra burn calories (I'm set at sedentary) since my low calories actually won't actually allow for 2 lbs./week. As time goes on and I see it working I get more motivated to exercise and add in some low impact yoga, Pilates, or aerobics which I do at home with DVDs. Occasionally I reward myself with a dessert or glass of wine using some of my exercise calories. I'm just starting over now...second time around, on week 2 and working on 3rd pound. I had lost 30 lbs in 3 months, but once I stopped logging I stopped exercising and went back to my overeating (snacking mostly) ways, so I think I may have to continue maintenance logging even after I meet my goal again which is 50 lbs this time. I'm already looking out to how thin I will look at Christmas! I'm trying to get my daughter to join as well because I think having a partner to motivate is a good idea. Good luck!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Yep. I start over every morning. What's wrong with that?
  • LoveDLady
    LoveDLady Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm starting again, TODAY! Might as well start again, I'm excited to be reminded how much fun and how rewarding it was the first time, and HOPEFULLY this time it sticks!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I broke through the barrier, but not the barrier I expected (and I think you mean), around the time I discovered MFP, late 2013. I had tried and tried to eat healthy and exercise and lose weight, and I too believed that I just had to "push through" and "get used to" that "healthy lifestyle", but I just got bigger and more tired, when I couldn't take it anymore. Then I couldn't take that anymore, either. So I started doing something else. I didn't know this at first, but in retrospect, I see that I was determined to never go back to going back-and-forth between over-restricting and no boundaries at all.

What I do now? I eat food I like, but in appropriate amounts for my size. I choose foods that make me full of energy, that taste good, and foods that are easy to prepare. I take care to prepare delicious meals, and enjoy everything I eat. I deem no food off limits, but I do consider amounts and frequencies. I don't feel like I should or shouldn't eat this or that. I feel confident that my tastebuds, in cooperation with my brain, are capable of leading me in the direction of nutritious food. I also eat regularly, so that I'm slowly learning to expect that there will be food whenever I'm hungry and ready for it. Food is finally taking its proper place. I don't obsess over food and eating anymore, but I think about food and look forward to eating, in ways I just occasionally would do before.

I don't do any planned exercise anymore, but I'm much more active on the daily. Walking, dancing and playing is what I do now. Not all the time, and not to manage weight, but for fun (and walking to get errands done).

I'm down 50 pounds, and maintaining the same weight as I had in junior high.

(I counted calories in here, for a year, I always forget to mention that, because it was just an educational tool to help me with porton sizes and food awareness. But it has been a great tool because it was just calories, no judgement of food choices.)
  • KateD0707
    KateD0707 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, tips and personal experiences guys. Please keep em coming.
    I feel more determined this time, it's the first time I've felt unhealthy with my weight and gone into the obese category and that scares me.
  • pkeye
    pkeye Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am "restarting" again today, will keep eyes on this post to see how others have stayed with it. My problem is consistency, logging daily BEFORE I eat in order.to make better choices.