Chronic fatigue syndrome

kelsieleehr
kelsieleehr Posts: 2 Member
edited September 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I have chronic fatigue syndrome but would like to lose weight. I find it extremely hard as I get tired so easily and need to eat very often to keep up energy levels. Any tips for best healthy foods or exercises??
Thank you!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Fat loss doesn't require exercise or eating foods perceived as "healthy". It requires eating fewer calories than you burn. I suggest reading the sticky posts in the Diet and Getting Started forums. Weigh all your food on a digital food scale. You'll probably be surprised at the results.
    Try searching the forum for CFS diet tips to help with energy. It's ok to exercise/walk in short bursts throughout the day.
    How long have you had CFS?
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Quick meals that you can prepare without a lot of effort. On good days that might mean making a big pot of chili in your slow cooker and portioning it out in freezer containers for reheating. I know that takes a lot of energy though, so another option, if you have the money for it, is frozen meals.

SmartOnes, Weight Watchers, etc. Small meals that you can pop in the microwave for a few minutes and eat. Get some bags of steamer veggies without sauce and pop those in after the meal is done cooking to bulk them out.

Do you live alone? Do you have a friend that can come over once a week or two and help you portion snacks into small containers? Buy big bags of pretzels, chips, nuts, whatever snack foods you like and would like to have on hand, and pre-bag them into single servings. Only do this with snacks you know you can practice moderation with!

When you need a snack, it's already measured out, just grab and eat.

You can do this with veggies too. Cut up broccoli, carrots, whatever you like, store then in your fridge with containers with dressing pre-measured. Eat as smacks or assemble info salads.

Cut up apples. Toss them in citric acid or lemon juice to keep them from turning brown. Pre-measure out peanut butter to go with them.

Shop on one day and prep the next. Or the day after that. I have fibromyalgia, I know you sometimes just don't have the energy.

Do a little every day if you can't do everything in one day. Plan out what you're going to do and check it off as you go.

It takes planning and more work to do this when your battling chronic illness, but you can do it.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    You’ve gotten some good advice above. I would also add to take note of what kinds of foods help you feel full. Personally, protein and healthy fats keep me full. Carbs, tasty as they are, will leave me with a blood sugar drop and feeling hungry, reaching for more food two hours later. Everybody is different though.
  • fitnhappyby30
    fitnhappyby30 Posts: 1 Member
    Get a blood test done and check your vitamin D level, my ex-trainer found out that I have very low VitaminD in my body that led to me being exhausted at all times.
  • I have a chronic illness which makes me tired all the time. One of the reasons I gained weight was eating high kilojoule food to make me feel less tired. I've found just being aware of this tendency helped me to eat more sensibly. (I don't know if you have this problem as well but it's not uncommon amongst people who have low energy.)

For snacks, try to find things that will help you keep your energy up whilst being low in kilojoules. Maybe low GI foods? With experimentation you should be able to find your comfort zone.

Exercise is difficult when you're constantly fatigued. Do what you can and don't push yourself into making yourself worse. And don't beat yourself up if you're not able to do anything some days. Personally, I take a walk everyday if I can manage it. I've found I feel better for it and it adds to the number of kilojoules I can have which is good because I'm very sedentary otherwise and my allotted kilojoules is kind of low.
  • JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member
    edited September 2017
    Get a blood test done and check your vitamin D level, my ex-trainer found out that I have very low VitaminD in my body that led to me being exhausted at all times.

I agree with this. Hopefully you have been screened for any deficiencies already, but if not, get some blood tests. Moderate exercise was leaving me exhausted and I couldn't understand why I seemed to always be tired, even after lots of sleep. Turns out I was deficient in both iron and B12. Now that I am supplementing I feel much better and recover from exercise more quickly.

I have definitely tried to use snacks to get energy boosts and unfortunately too many high calorie ones are the main reason I became overweight. I have actually found that ensuring my main meals are well-balanced and filling has been the most helpful thing. Everyone is different, but for me I find it best to include low GI carbs with each meal. I have oat based cereal for breakfast, barley wraps or low GI bread at lunch, and low GI potatoes (called Carisma here in Australia), sweet potatoes or basmati rice with dinner. I then make sure I get some protein, some fat and fill up on veges with my lunch and dinner.

The key seems to be low GI carbs for me though - if I try to skimp on these I seem to crave snacks. If I eat sustaining meals, I tend to be happy with a piece of fruit, a coffee, a small amount of nuts or popcorn as snacks.

I don't have CFS, so can't offer any special advice with regards to exercise. But I just suggest you start really small with whatever you can manage. I started this time around with walking and I thought I would be bored, but to my surprise I am enjoying it and my legs are looking more toned than they were. I think walking has given me a good base level of fitness too, as I have now added in swimming and it was easier than I expected.

ETA: I forgot pasta...I find pasta great too, but I watch the portion size. I buy a high fibre pasta called Vetta; it looks and tastes like regular pasta but is more filling. Not sure what the equivalent is in other countries.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I too have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I've had it for about 20 years. I've lost 100 lbs. I started losing first then decided to walk for exercise. I started out very slowly. I know what happens if you overdo it. You crash. I bought a Garmin Vivfit2 tracker and just tracked my movement the first few weeks to get a baseline. Then I gradually increased it. Don't listen to the "you must do 10,000 steps" nonsense to start with. I remember thinking I could never do that much even tho I often do now. But to start, remember you are dealing with a medical issue and take your time. I remember friends telling me I had to go to the gym and workout at least an hour a day. I tried for two weeks and got desperately sick. Nope doesn't work for everyone. On the up side I feel so much better now. You will sleep better as you get into the routine and that helps with CFS. Good luck.