Help on where to buy a suit at my size

Options
I need a nice suit for an important interview and at a 14/16 I'm having trouble finding much in regular stores. Plus sizes are too big though. Any suggestions on where to shop?

Sorry for the slightly off topic post but I'm having trouble and thought I might find some good advice from people who have been through it. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Male or female?
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Talbot's might work for you.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    i am gonna guess by 14/16 female.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Macy's should have plenty - good luck!!
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    You might also consider separates - a good blazer is worth its weight in gold.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Macy's is my advice. I will admit that I haven't actually purchased a suit there. But that is where I shopped for business clothes almost exclusively during the time when I found Lane Bryant's 14/16 way too big, but most "regular" stores either didn't have 14 or their 12 was too small. It seems a lot of Macy's 12 misses stuff is more like a lot of stores' 14 and not cut super "plus".

For example I liked Macy's misses tops because they didn't show my cleavage and/or bra like everything at Lane Bryant suddenly did at one point.

I thought this was gonna be about swimsuits hehe

Good luck!
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    If all else fails, I go to Nordstrom's. Pricy, but they probably have something. Macy's and Dillard's are places to try depending on what area you live in.
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I haven't bought a suit in a while, but I used to get some gorgeous ones at TJ Maxx.
    I think Ann Taylor, Loft, and White House Black Market all have sizes up to 16. They also run a bit large, so a 12 or 14 might fit.
  • zingeber
    zingeber Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Haha @seltzermint555 I was thinking at one point today that buying a swimsuit might actually be less stressful! Thank you all so much for the tips. And yes as everyone figured out pretty quickly, I'm female (should have specified). Probably should also have said I'm in the US, but I think everyone's ideas are stores I can find easily. More shopping tomorrow. Thanks again! Any other suggestions are still quite welcome!
  • ZhivagosGirl
    ZhivagosGirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Dress Barn (I hate that name) near you? Half the store is regular size and half the store is plus size. That way if you are sort of straddling regular and plus sizes they have both options in one place.
  • pmastro724
    pmastro724 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Dress Barn (I hate that name) near you? Half the store is regular size and half the store is plus size. That way if you are sort of straddling regular and plus sizes they have both options in one place.[/quote

I was also going to suggest dress barn! My sister wears a suit almost everyday and buys most of her clothes there. It's a terrible name but the clothes are nice! I also like Burlington Coat Factory :)
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Male or female?
    14/16 is a woman's size. Men's suit sizes go by chest measurement.

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Last I knew, Lane Bryant's sizes started at 14.
  • pettyone
    pettyone Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    NY&Co has worked for me before I gained weight at a size 6 and through my highest weight at a size 18.
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Ann Taylor, Talbots, or JC Penneys all have things in various cuts and sizes.

Last suit I got was at NY&Co actually...I'm in between regular and plus sizes.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if they'll have exactly what you are looking for but I get the majority of my work clothes at Banana Republic. They're slacks have a nice stretch to them and seem to be a little wider in the hips than some other brands.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Macy's or Belk...
  • zingeber
    zingeber Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thank you all <3<3. Too many great suggestions to call out individually, but I truly appreciate all of them. Getting ready to go out for another day of shopping and I'll plan to stop into several of these places.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    If you have Nordstrom, they custom tailor women's clothes for free.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    Check your local thrift stores too. The other day, I got a navy blue, tailored silk Talbots skirt (with tags) for $12. They typically have lots of higher end business clothing for good prices.