What is the purpose of eating back your exercise calories

Options

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I hate to admit that my father was right all along, but starting off my day with even a small amount of exercise (I'm at about 15 minutes jogging with my dogs so far, up from 10 minutes walking and longer outings on the weekend) has noticeably helped my energy levels and mood. I am wishy-washy about eating back exercise calories, partly because it's not a huge amount of exercise in the first place, but also because I don't really make much effort to hit any particular daily goal - I average out my calories bi-monthly and try to eat as mindfully as possible while keeping that average on target. And yeah, I generally eat a bit more on days when I get more exercise than usual. I'm with @JeromeBarry1 here - I am NOT in this to suffer.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I should also add that eating back half your calories is just an adjustment people do to do a better job of estimating their calories burned. If you are very good on estimating your calories burned and consumed you should be able to see your planned deficits come to reality. For me, it had to the tenth of a pound per week over 2-3 months
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,070 Member
    Options
    When I was actively (and successfully) losing weight, I used this rough guide ...

If I were doing just a little bit of exercise, like an hour's walk ... I would eat about 50% of my exercise calories back.

If I were going a moderate amount of exercise, like a 3 or 4 hours on the bicycle ... I would eat about 75% of my exercise calories back.

If I were going for a lot of exercise, like cycling 6+ hours on the bicycle ... I would eat closer to about 95% of my exercise calories back.

All approximate, of course, but that was the general plan I followed. I found, through experience, that I needed more calories when I exerted myself more ... and when I did something like an hour's walk, I really didn't need all my exercise calories.