What do you do to move on after a binge?

Options
Just ate a ridiculous number of Oreos and I'm feeling *kitten* physically and for reversing all my progress for the day. I want to be skinny yesterday but I'll never get there if I keep doing this...
other than the obvious "think about why you binged so it doesn't happen again next time" any advice for moving on?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Log it, make sure I get sufficient water (don't force it down, just make sure I'm drinking enough to not be thirsty), take a walk if I feel up to it.

• issiahs
    issiahs Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I did that yesterday. Just got to move on and track your calories today. After a few days in a deficit, those extra calories won't even matter.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Don't have the Oreos around if you are going to binge on them.
  • hydechildcare
    hydechildcare Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I log it and tell myself the next meal I will be better. Then the following. Normally the reason I binge is because I wait to long to eat. I find keeping salad cut up in the fridge helps with the binge. That way I eat that before reach for candy or cookies. Also the steam vegetable bags are handy. I find it hard to eat as many calories in vegs as I would in junk food.
  • CindyWard2
    CindyWard2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I had a Frito-fest yesterday....I logged it and it was NOT pretty, even with estimating it was ridiculous high. Today I'm just acting like it didn't happen....planned my breakfast and lunch, logged it, packed it...will have a good supper within my calorie goals...pretty much just ignoring that it happened and moving on.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    We had junk food potluck at work yesterday. Literally, that was the theme. Fortunately, not many people knew about it so the buffet wasn't as dangerous as it could have been. I still had my fair share. Knowing this was coming up, I did some extra cardio before work (nothing crazy, an hour instead of 45 minutes), drank plenty of water, had a lighter dinner, and took the dog on a nice long walk after work.
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Have you done that? Thought about why you binged? Have you been undereating? Depriving yourself? Why did you have access to a ridiculous number of Oreos, and how many is that in terms of calories?

If you think you can do something to "uneat" the cookies, you're playing with magical thinking. Just the idea that you have to do anything besides log it and shrug, can worsen tendencies of disordered eating, if you already have that.

Ex-ED sufferer so theoretically I can "uneat" pretty much anything... lolol.

But point taken. I only had access to (1000 calories of Oreos) because I was stupid and bought them. I won't do it again.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Oreos are my weakness. If they're in the house I have a ridiculously hard time not eating all of them. So I don't have them in the house.
    You made a bad choice. It doesn't negate all the work up until this point. I'd go for a walk and drink lots of water to help myself not feel as full/bloated and make better choices starting now.
  • abbie2411
    abbie2411 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have issues with binge eating, but I find it to be more manageable if I somehow fit it in to my calories. I count weekly instead of daily and try for a 7000 deficit for the week to lose two pounds, if I'm a bit less than 7000 its fine, its still a deficit. For example, yesterday I burned 2900 cals for the day, but only ate around 1400, if I want to have a daily deficit of 1000 cals it means I have an extra 500 calories for another day. If I did the same today thats another 500 calories and so technically tomorrow I could eat 1000 calories worth of oreos on top of my daily goal and not feel guilty about going over as I would still be on track for the week. I'm hopefully not going to do that cause its not physically healthy, but from a mental health point of view it helps me to have that safety net there if I want to eat out or stuff my face with chocolate haha
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I always had to treat it as a learning experience. Ill admit bingeing was never my issue- until placed infront of alot of options i have to eat some of everything, twice lol-

But yeah you need to soul search a bit. Track the food. Do some math. Face up to what you have done. Sometimes its honestly not as bad as you think, And if it is take some time to discover how it makes you feel. Try to avoid "i feel like *kitten* im an awful person i undid ALL my work (you havent)" type thoughts. Try to think more "It happened and im taking the time to acknowledge and make plans to avoid it in the future, Go me"

Over your life its important to find your triggers, Reasonings, foods you reach for (and finding beter options) And all of that. Its a long term change to work towards, Its not overnight. Once you spend the time to learn yourself, And how to treat yourself, And how to pick yourself back up dust yourself off and move on- Then you can move past bingeing.

Hating on yourself is counterproductive, Be kind to yourself. Its your life, Sometimes you have to enjoy it. Just learn whats worth enjoying and whats not to you. Sometimes to me eating an entire pizza to myself is worth it. Where eating cake at a party or something wouldnt be because i dont enjoy cake. So i wont eat the cake, And i will eat the pizza. Long term youll learn to compromise, And as a result make beter choices overall and feel beter about yourself through self kindness. IT all leads to a healthier outlook, Which has helped me a ton to not go binging- OR "fall off the wagon" and eat everything else because of it lol
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Log it, and look at your day and previous days. Did you under-eat? Did you work out really heavy and not prepare for having something good to eat after? Getting that ravenous feeling is avoidable, with forethought.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Stop it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Stop it.

Possibly least helpful comment ever.

Oh sorry. :( OP, please continue to binge.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I'm a recovering binger...these things happen. If I binge, I always log exactly what I ate, but if the stress of going "over" is killing me, I split the calories over the next two or three days so that I can make up for the slip in a gentler way. (In other words: would rather eat 1-200 calories less for a few days after the binge than see all that red). Water helps flush out sodium and soothes digestion.
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Stop it.
    Lolol
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, log it and move on. "Messing up" once doesn't ruin your diet and therefore mean you should eat as much as you want from now on... the all or nothing attitude is not helpful in reaching your goal