Beans and Rice

Options
Hey all! I really like brown rice and beans for a diet friendly meal or snack. I usually make a big batch at the beginning of the week and have some when I feel like I need something substantial or don't feel like making dinner. However, I am running out of ideas for sauces or seasonings for it. Any ideas? I've done a salsa/plain greek yogurt combo and low sodium soy sauce. I'm blanking on what else I've tried but any suggestions would be appreciated!

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Cuban black beans. Onion/garlic/peppers/touch of sugar/white vinegar.

Goya has a good recipe on their website. You can use the recipe with any beans but black beans are traditional.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    BBQ sauce
    hot sauce
    sambal & hoisin sauce
    Rosemary
    Olive oil and vinegar
    Marsala sauce with mushrooms
    salt and pepper
    Taco seasoning is BOMB
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I've never put sauce on my beans and rice. I just mix up the type of beans, peppers, other vegetables and seasonings for variety.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Go to the ethnic food aisle and go nuts. I just bought a ton of curry sauces and chutneys.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah! Just bought a garlic Cholula sauce but I've seen some AWESOME combos (gochuchang mayo, sriracha mayo, etc).
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Anything you can do to rice you can pretty much do to rice and beans or, for that matter, grains and lentils. I just started with this risotto recipe last night and fummy-diddled with it to make it with spelt berries (farro) and French lentils. It was yummy. I added a touch of cream and parmesan to "richen up" the sauce and just used regular cremini mushrooms but, oh, it was yummy!

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/03/green-risotto-with-mushrooms-recipe.html

No, for purists, it's not the same dish but as long as it tastes good to you do whatever you want to a recipe!
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I love this combo too, I make a batch of chilli beans at the start of the week and pre cook the rice too. The variations and combinations are limited only by your imagination. This week its black-eyed bean chilli with black rice, next week I think I'll do chickpea and eggplant curry with red rice. Mmm
  • nw623
    nw623 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Beans and rice are a food staple for me. Look up recipes from Africa and Latin America and you'll find no shortage of ideas. Cuban black beans anyone? Dirty beans and rice? Yum!

A popular dinner at my house are burrito bowls. Everyone puts what they want in them. Options typically include shredded cheddar, grilled onions and bell peppers, salsa, avocado, corn, olives, tofu, chicken, and greek yogurt.

Adding taco seasoning (chili powder, cumin, powdered onion) helps change up the the flavor of the beans. Replacing water with vegetable broth helps add a different dimension as well.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Think of beans and rice as a template that you can customize with sauce, fruits, veggies, whatever you like. Here are some ideas: http://www.nomeatathlete.com/rice-and-beans/
  • Laurc19
    Laurc19 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the ideas everyone!!!! Cuban black beans and taco seasoning are happening immediately!