Half-Marathon

Options
2»

Replies

• citygator
    citygator Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Two pieces of advice:

1. Sign up for a few local 5k/10k races along the way so that you have mini-milestones - can seem monotonous training for a payoff months away.
    2. STRETCH STRETCH STRETCH. Spend a few minutes stretching your legs when you are done with a run. Seems small but its the easiest thing to blow off and the easiest way to have problems creep up.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    StephFolz wrote: »
    Hey! I have just started training for my first half marathon! Anybody have any tips or things I should know? I’m starting early, race is in 8 months

Key questions for a meaningful and are how much you run now, and what's your race experience so far?
    I’m at about 3 miles now, that’s my base. I do that in about 30 minutes. I’ve done some 5k’s but that’s about it. I’m not in it to win, I just want to cross the finish line.

Since you have plenty of time, definitely build up your aerobic base. I'd personally build to a point where your weekly long run is an easy 10K before starting to train in earnest for the half. This probably isn't critical since there are novice training plans that start with a long run of 4 miles, but if you get to the point where you're comfortable with 6.2 miles, it's relatively easy to add a mile at a time such that 13 isn't really that much of a stretch.

I would definitely schedule some races in the interim but would probably focus on 10K. 5K is a little too short to really teach you how to control your pacing (since everyone tends to go as hard as they can from start to finish). 10K is a reasonable length but is long enough to get you comfortable with controlling your pace at different points of the race and fatigue levels.
  • jennieskoolaid
    jennieskoolaid Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I followed John Stantons guide to half marathon training. It was good but I wish I would have put in more time. I think his schedule was 3months long. Good luck on training.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fitted for shoes if you haven’t already. Over 8 months of HM training you will probably go through a pair of shoes and be ready for a new pair.

Don’t increase mileage too fast. You have plenty of time. Work on building up your base mileage first; many plans assume you are running 3-4 miles, 3-4 times per week.

Get a foam roller and use it regularly. I try to foam roll every day. I have an old running injury and foam rolling helps keep me from re-injuring it.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have just started training for my first half marathon! Anybody have any tips or things I should know? I’m starting early, race is in 8 months

Key questions for a meaningful and are how much you run now, and what's your race experience so far?
    I’m at about 3 miles now, that’s my base. I do that in about 30 minutes. I’ve done some 5k’s but that’s about it. I’m not in it to win, I just want to cross the finish line.

Let's see. 8 months from able to do a 5K to doing a half marathon. The half marathon training program will take 12 to 16 weeks, depending on what program you use. It will want you to be running 12 to 15 miles per week regularly before you start the program, if not more.

My best guess: Target doing a 5K in 2 months or so. Then see if you can work up to a 15K or 10 mile race in another 3 month. That leaves you 3 months to train for the half, and the experience of building your aerobic base and running a couple of races that are long enough to give you an idea of what it means to pace yourself.

With less time, you could target a 15K about a month before the half, and work it into your training; but with all the time you have, you can afford to build your capacity more gradually. That will reduce the chance of injury. Just remember that the goal is to finish, and don't get sidetracked by visions of finishing the first one fast.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm signed up for a half in April. I'm working on increasing my base before I start in fully with a half marathon training plan. You've definitely given yourself plenty of time to increase your distances slowly. I'll be rooting for you!
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Has anyone mentioned running slow? :wink:

Seriously, just run slow and steady until you get a good aerobic base. The rule of thumb is you should be able to have a conversation or sing a song without any trouble if you're running the right pace.

If you find yourself with a strong enough base to run 10 miles or so when it's time to start a training plan you can then incorporate some speed workouts if you want to. Just be careful, speed kills. Well, for runners it usually just injures, but you get the point. :smiley:

Practice hydration and nutrition on your long runs when you start on a training plan. Most races have aid stations with water and snacks every two miles so on my long runs I drink every two miles. I carry my own fuel, even during the race, because I don't want to risk whatever it is they're giving away during the race causing me stomach problems, and I practice taking my Gu approximately every four miles about a quarter mile prior to the next aid station. Most in-race nutrition you'll want to wash down with water so I start taking it in a bit before the next water station. The nutrition isn't as much of an issue for a half marathon, but it's still something to consider.

Oh, and if you haven't tried drinking from a Dixie cup while running you're in for a rude awakening come race day! lol. Either bite the bullet and look like an idiot out there practicing drinking from a cup while training, or just walk during the race while you drink.

And most importantly, have FUN! Going across the line, start and finish, is a pretty cool rush.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    So happy to see someone starting 8 MONTHS in advance instead of 8 weeks or 8 days! I'm not a distance runner, but I know you'll get lots of good advice here.
    did you have anyone particular in mind? lol.

OP the only problem I see with a hm so far in the future is that its easy to blow off those training runs and before you know it there's only a couple weeks to prepare. I'd almost look for something sooner in the 4-5 month range.

I have a hm in 2 weeks that I've tried training for since July but life has thrown me a couple curve balls since I started my hm training. This is the first race I've ever done that I know I'll finish so now I'm actually worried about pacing so thats a whole new set of problems.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    lsutton484 wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    So happy to see someone starting 8 MONTHS in advance instead of 8 weeks or 8 days! I'm not a distance runner, but I know you'll get lots of good advice here.
    did you have anyone particular in mind? lol.

OP the only problem I see with a hm so far in the future is that its easy to blow off those training runs and before you know it there's only a couple weeks to prepare. I'd almost look for something sooner in the 4-5 month range.

I have a hm in 2 weeks that I've tried training for since July but life has thrown me a couple curve balls since I started my hm training. This is the first race I've ever done that I know I'll finish so now I'm actually worried about pacing so thats a whole new set of problems.

Or, OP just works on her base mileage for a couple of months and then starts a training plan... it doesn't always have to be a massive drama to do a race...
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    If you are currently running 10 mpw, I'd make a goal to get up to at least 25 mpw before starting race specific training since you have so much time. 35 would be better, but I'm not sure you have time. If you are currently running 3 days a week, add a day, which will make it easier. In a couple of months, add another day. Start by splitting your current mileage among 4 days. i.e. 2, 3, 2, 3. Then add 1/2 mile to two of your runs. The following week, add another mile or so. Don't increase too quickly.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

That's a good goal for your first HM.

How often do you run?

It took me 7 months to build from 5 km to 21.1 km. I ran 3-4 times a week, gradually increasing my weekly long run.
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Follow a schedule
    Enjoy what your doing
    Don’t push too hard or overtrain injury will set you back a long way.
    Use protein shakes as recovery after big runs.
    Walk more on your none running days
    Enjoy it
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Cross train on non running days, swim or bike or even yoga. Strength training in my opinion is really important as well.

And as others have said. Have fun!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    andysport1 wrote: »
    Follow a schedule
    Enjoy what your doing
    Don’t push too hard or overtrain injury will set you back a long way.
    Use protein shakes as recovery after big runs.
    Walk more on your none running days
    Enjoy it

Is there a reason you recommend protein shakes after long runs?
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hey Girl! I'm in training now for a HM in December. The key is to have a schedule and stick to it - if not now, then no less than 12 weeks out. Hal Higdon has a good beginner HM schedule that can even be modified easily to suit any runner.

Other than that, my advise is:

1. Good sneakers that fit (go to a store and get fitted)
    2. rest on rest days
    3. stretch before and after each run
    4. Don't focus too much on form/speed just building your base
    5. run for you

Good luck!
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do 25 miles a week to run a half marathon until the last month of your program, then back off last week or two. The people who advise increasing no more than 10% per week have it right, otherwise you'll overtrain and be more prone to aggravating injuries. Good shoes, interesting music, different runs, run some 10K races instead of 6 mile runs in your program. I had to gut through the long training runs, but if you can find someone to run with you it's better -- or find a longer race, maybe Hot Chocolate 15k or 10M race if one is in your area. I've done a dozen HM in the last 3 years, but have cut back to keep from injuring myself. Good luck! Feel free to friend me if you want (my profile pic is from Disney Stars Wars HM)
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I did my first half marathon last May. I'd entered it about a year before but during that period had switched from running back to cycling as my main fitness activity so did virtually no running until just a few weeks before. When I entered I was running a fair amount - typically one 10K and a couple of 5K's each week, with the occasional longer run up to 10 miles or so. I suspect if I'd actually just went straight into the half-marathon there I'd have done ok as it wasn't much of a step up. In reality and with about a month to go (with perhaps me doing one or two 5K's a month at that point) I decided I better do some training so did a couple of 5K's which were ok, then a couple of 10K's that were also ok. I then stepped up to a 10 miler and injured my foot, took a week or so out then did another 10 miler which was just about ok. I did then make it round the half (although the last few miles were hard work as it was warmer than I'd expected), although not at the best of pace and probably 20 minutes slower than I should have done if I'd trained properly for it!

So pretty much don't do it the way I did! I've you're running up to 3 miles now at about 30 minute pace then you'd got work to do but 8 months is plenty of time. Finding and sticking to a training plan will work but so will also just gradually increasing the distances you run (both in individual runs and overall each week). If you're mainly interested in finishing rather than a time then I'd probably recommend something like doing a couple of 5K's during each week, with a longer run at the weekend with the distance of that progressively increasing until you get to 10 miles - at which point you should be able to complete the half-marathon without too much trouble. Distance/duration is more important than pace so finding a comfortable endurance pace is probably the most important thing.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options

Personally I'd recommend identifying where you'll start your HM plan, normally about 16 weeks and aim to be running c20-25 miles per week, ready to start the plan. That's only four 10K sessions per week so easily achievable in about six weeks. I'd recommend a couple of 10Ks in the interim as well, to get a handle on the experience and pacing issues highlighted above.

The HM is a nice distance, long enough to be worth it but not life consuming to train for.

Solid advice.