Thanks for the feedback!

Options
DearJuliaG
DearJuliaG Posts: 20 Member
edited September 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Closing post bc I received some helpful tips, and clearly I need to do some more research as well as find the right people to help me. Cheers!

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Frequent paragraph breaks can be your friend. Stream of consciousness writing went out of style in the late 1800's.
  • vonveganstein
    vonveganstein Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    calories in /calories out is where it's at. also a Healthy diet of what one eats makes even a big difference, fruits and veggies compared to ie...hamburger helper
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    calories in /calories out is where it's at. also a Healthy diet of what one eats makes even a big difference, fruits and veggies compared to ie...hamburger helper

I don't think anyone is eating a diet of just fruits and vegetables as opposed to just Hamburger Helper. The more typical example is eating a diet that includes things like Hamburger Helper as well as fruits and vegetables.

And since Hamburger Helper has nutrients, there's nothing wrong with that.
  • DearJuliaG
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Frequent paragraph breaks can be your friend. Stream of consciousness writing went out of style in the late 1800's.
    Thanks for the tip. No need to be a jerk about it though. Why can't you provide the suggestion without the digg?
  • DearJuliaG
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Another post (same subject)........my guess is comments aren't gonna change.
    Sorry about that - my phone died midstream and thought it hadn't posted. Trying to delete....
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Yes, it is calories in/calories out. That's basic physiology. It's been discussed many, many times before and the answers don't change.

Oh, and your personal trainer and nutritionist are way off base and have no idea what they're talking about. The things they say don't make the slightest bit of sense from a physiological perspective. They're giving you very bad information which is not going to be at all helpful to you in your weight loss efforts.

Fun read: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348650/cico-still-skeptical-come-inside-for-a-meticulous-log-that-proves-it/p1
  • DearJuliaG
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Yes, it is calories in/calories out. That's basic physiology. It's been discussed many, many times before and the answers don't change.

Oh, and your personal trainer and nutritionist are way off base and have no idea what they're talking about. The things they say don't make the slightest bit of sense from a physiological perspective. They're giving you very bad information which is not going to be at all helpful to you in your weight loss efforts.

Fun read: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348650/cico-still-skeptical-come-inside-for-a-meticulous-log-that-proves-it/p1

So if you can't trust a nutritionist or personal trainer, how do you figure out what works best? I haven't read the article you provided, but it seems like we shouldn't have to do this on our own....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I don't think anyone is eating a diet of just fruits and vegetables as opposed to just Hamburger Helper. The more typical example is eating a diet that includes things like Hamburger Helper as well as fruits and vegetables.

Ugh...Hamburger Helper...bringing back bad childhood memories...my mom over-served the crap out of that...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    DearJuliaG wrote: »

So if you can't trust a nutritionist or personal trainer, how do you figure out what works best? I haven't read the article you provided, but it seems like we shouldn't have to do this on our own....

How about a registered dietician (there is no standard for "nutritionists" you can get a credential online from some pretty questionable organizations) similarly personal trainers have a great deal of variability in the quality of their education. I would even hesitate to talk to my GP as most of them get very little nutritional education in med school.

• DearJuliaG
    Options
    Haha - yup! And Chef Boyardee, Cheese Wiz, Fruity Pebbles, Frosted Flakes, and other things not so good for me...
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Question - so you don't know if these things your trainer and RD diagnosed for you actually work? You just found out about them and haven't used them yet?

What I found worked for me was a food scale and accurate logging of all my food.

I really would love to hear back in 8-12 weeks to hear how this new plan works out for the OP.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Your active metabolic assessment was run at Lifetime Fitness if I'm not mistaken.

You can't take that data seriously. They are a box gym extrapolating a test incorrectly. That test they used is not meant to give you a daily caloric burn.

It is as simple as calories in vs. calories out, it's a matter of accounting for them properly.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Well, according to the personal trainer and a nutritionist, *my body was burning calories from carbs during exercise and resorting to calories from carbs and muscle at rest* because (a) I was working out too often at a high intensity level, and (b) I wasn't getting enough calories following my exercise or protein overall. So it is definitely not a matter of *only* having a calorie deficit.

This part here makes it obvious that your nutritionist and trainer literally have no:

1) formal education in their respective fields;
    2) clue as to what they're talking about.

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options

Yes, actually, we should. We are the only ones responsible for our own body and health. Diet and nutrition and fitness varies from person to person so it's very much a trial-and-error process. Over complicating things doesn't help. IMO, that just gives us more excuses.

Track your calorie intake as accurately as possible. If you aren't losing weight then you need to eat fewer calories. Hoping this doesn't sound harsh. That wasn't my intent.
  • twinkles4
    twinkles4 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Ugh...Hamburger Helper...bringing back bad childhood memories...my mom over-served the crap out of that...

OMG! Do you remember when they changed the packaging and it had "NOW WITH FLAVOR!" written on it?

:dizzy: oh man, that creeped me the hell out.