Fast Food - where to go and what to get?

Options
2»

Replies

• slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I have started getting a 4" sandwich at Subway. Sliders at Arby's. Egg McMuffin meal at McDonalds - I love that they have all day breakfast now.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    You can always call ahead to a restaurant and have them do a ToGo order. If you know you will be passing somewhere that you regularly eat out at, call them up and have it ready when you arrive. Granted, restaurant food can be just as bad, if not worse, than fast food. But, you might have a better selection. You can always ask a restaurant to prepare a veggie side and add some meat.

Starbucks has a new food menu out with some good options. They also have a good oatmeal. If you skip the toppings, the sugar is low. Add a banana and some yogurt for a full meal. The spinach, egg white wrap is also good.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I agree with what most are saying, just exercise caution and grab extra water and you should be good to go. I feel like most fast food places aren't too horrible calorie-wise as long as you order smart and steer clear of the combo "deals" with big orders of fries, or high cal drinks like slushes, malts, shakes, etc. Which of course being on MFP I'm sure you wouldn't go that route anyway.

I usually choose a smaller sized burger (i.e., kid size, value menu) or double meat, extra veggies, and no cheese, I also do a lot of half-bun (McDonald's and Arby's especially). Shaving off a good 70-90 calories for half a bun is easy and I don't miss it, honestly.

I rarely order salads at fast food joints because they're often expensive and ONLY taste good with the crazy dressings and other toppings (dried sweetened fruit for example).

One of my favorites for fast food is Taco Bell. That is crazy to me because I didn't go there for about ten years. But recently I've discovered their fresco options and the dollar cheesy bean & rice burrito packs quite a calorie punch at 440-ish I think, but it's VERY filling.

Panda Express just about any of their entrees (usually orange chicken) with mixed steamed veggies is decent and they seem to be everywhere these days.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Subway.
    Chic Fil-A has good salads or order grilled chicken sandwich or grilled nuggets
    Also, the southwest salad with grilled chicken from McD's has a lot of flavor and is low cal
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    BTW I think the calorie count on the McD's salad I mentioned above includes the cilantro lime glaze which is pretty good and u won't need to get extra dressing (I find that depending on which location u go to, sometimes they forget to put it on if u don't ask them to)
  • OkChargerFan
    OkChargerFan Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    In N Out - Double Double w/grilled onions and fries!
  • citygator
    citygator Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Lunch
    Subway - Wraps
    Wendy’s - Large chili

Breakfast
    McD’s - Egg white delight
    ChicFila - Egg white grill

• Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Keep them coming! Haha
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Burrito joints like qdoba or Chipotle. Skip the tortilla and get a burrito salad with lettuce, meat, beans and salsa.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Didn't read the whole thread -- but my go-to is Subway Veggie Delite on whole grain flat bread, 12" no condiments or cheese and 2 packs of their sliced apples. Have fun.
  • dlm4mom
    dlm4mom Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    The Taco Bell fresco tacos are delicious! I am so happy I looked at this thread. I now have a fast food option. Thank you for sharing this
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,843 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Taco Bell's website has a swell nutrition calculator that lets you add & delete ingredients from the menu items, and figure out what works best for you. I like the power bowls, which start around 500 calories, but I usually delete rice and add extra beans, dropping it around 100 calories.

That, and the Subway chopped salads (dressed with vinegar, salt/pepper, oregano, but with some protein item that has a bit of fat for good vitamin absorption), are my favorite choices.
  • kellieinkc
    kellieinkc Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Currently my October goal is no fast food (which I am determining by whether or not there is a drive-thru window, LOL), but I usually hit up Taco Bell for a bean burrito. Lots of protein and fiber, very filling (to me), and just under 400 calories. Cheap too!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Warning on salads: some restaurants have salads that have more calories than the burger. Always check the nutrition info.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Del taco has the best bean tostadas. I like Bakers tostadas too. The shells are not bad calorie prices.
    If you can get packets of french dressing or even catalina and drizzle.....best flavor combo.
  • southgirl94
    southgirl94 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    If I want something cold for a snack, I'll get a McDonald's parfait. It has only 150 calories with the granola. I'll also stop at Subway and get a turkey sub. With the veggies on top and going light on the sauces (i.e. mayo), a half sub with a water is only 300-400 calories.
  • ruby2uesday77
    ruby2uesday77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Love the Wendy's Chili as stated previously and also their grilled chicken sandwich! I don't care for mustard anything so I get it plain with a side of BBQ.

Chick Fil A grilled chicken nuggets or like wendy's their grilled sandwich and I'll usually get the fruit cup instead of fries.