Don't know where are how to even start

Options
Hi everyone... So it's time for me to really get serious about losing some weight.... thing is, I don't even know where and how to start... where to get inspiration for healthy meals (not just searching the internet and getting any old recipe as nutrition content is excluded sometimes).
Part of the problem is im up late at night and that's when I eat ( heavy meals, desserts, cheese, wine) and then go right to bed. I need help staying accountable for the decisions and pointed in the way to make them.
Any help/input/comments/direction is greatly appreciated.
I figured it's better to get some help along the way, rather than struggling on my own.
Thank you so much!!
Andi

Replies

• jlval1989
    jlval1989 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    To start - eat normally for a week, but log everything on here. Use a scale to be as accurate as possible. That will help you identify existing patterns, and potential problem areas.
    Then, MFP has no doubt given you a calorie goal.
    I find pre-planning my meals helps me stick to the goal. So plan out a days meals, and stick to that. Aim for the calorie goal - don't go as low as possible. That won't work, and you'll feel like *kitten*.

As far as healthy meals go - as long as you hit your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. What you actually eat matters less than you might think. Aim for a decent proportion of meats for protein, a bit of fat, and a good bit of carbs (mostly from veggies/fruits), and you'll be fine.
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hi Andi and welcome. My Suggestion to beginners is usually the same. Too much in the beginning, can sometimes be over whelming. So I say take a few things at a time. Focus on logging your food, weighing, practicing portion control, logging honestly. You can set your goal to maintenance calories so that you can take 2/3 weeks and adjust to learning how log food. Learning not to drink your calories ( Soda, Sweet Tea, Coffee, Juice)

Once you get that straight you should move on to changing your goal to lose. Make sure your setting for weight loss are not extreme, 1/2 lb, or 1 lb a week. Cutting too much to fast, begins to feel like you are being deprived or punished (for some)

Once you switch your goal lose and you start logging, you quickly see where items need to be cut.

The awesome thing about MFP is it set up for you to lose solely based on what and how much eat/drink.

You will need to get a food scale

You also need to become familiar with the MFP recipe builder

These are my favorite sites for healthy recipes

http://www.skinnytaste.com/

http://iowagirleats.com/

Edit*** I hit send to soon***

Meal Prep!! is the biggest help for me to date. Knowing a head of time what I will be eating for 2-3 meals all week ( usually Breakfast,snacks & lunch) is a huge help. I can pre-log most of my meals and know exactly what I have left to use for dinner
  • andiyi
    andiyi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions/advice. Here's to a healthier and better version of ourselves