is it possible to lose weight post menopause? frustrated!

Options
I'm 54 yrs old, 5'7" and weigh 137. I walk to and from work (a mile each way), and teach, so I'm not sitting all day. I work out 4-5 times a week pretty religiously, usually using the strength training setting on an elliptical, burning about 360 calories in 30 minutes, or sometimes 45-60 minutes.
I've been eating 1400-1600 calories a day (literally weighing and measuring everything including green vegetables and the milk that goes in my coffee), eat almost no carbs, and try to eat a lot of protein. I used to weigh 130 and I just gained weight without doing anything different after I hit menopause. I can't lose weight. Is post menopausal weight loss impossible? Its driving me crazy.

Replies

• olar1
    olar1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    And I'm hungry much of the day and feel slightly weak a lot of the time.
  • msmith404040
    msmith404040 Posts: 84 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I am post-menopause after having a full hysterectomy last year. I started MFP two months and a couple of weeks ago and have lost 20 pounds and it is coming off easily. I have 50 to lose, though, so it is easier than it is for you with so little to lose.

I really admire all of your working out!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    1. How long have you been at it?
    2. Are you eating back your exercise calories?
    3. Can you open your diary? We may see some inaccurate entries. Regular inaccuracies can add up.
    4. 1,400-1,600 might be too much for you. I plugged your numbers into http://www.calorieking.com/interactive-tools/how-many-calories-should-you-eat/ which uses about the same ranges as MFP, but is easier to toggle. It puts your maintenance at 1450 to 1650 cals a day.
    5. No Carb might be causing your no-energy. Carbohydrates are fuel. You may need them to feel full. A calorie from a carbohydrate is no different from a calorie from fat in terms of weight loss.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I'm 66, and over the last 18 months or so I've lost over 40 lbs. Yes it's possible! At 5'3" and sedentary I lost less than .5 lbs / week on 1200 calories, more when I walked and biked. My loss was steady, and I was fine energy-wise on a higher-carb diet while creating a smaller deficit.

I agree that if you are low energy on low carbs you should try upping them to see if that helps. You may have subconsciously decreased incidental background movement in response to feeling sluggish which could contribute to not losing weight. If you continue to maintain, drop your daily calories by 100 and see if that makes a difference.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Ellipticals are among the most difficult machines to get accurate calorie burns for. You are probably overestimating the number of calories you gain from exercise. You might try varying your activity, perhaps including weights, biking, walking etc. Muscle burns more calories and doing different activities will add more muscle. Any exercise you do all the time you get very efficient at - which means you burn less.

And yes, you can lose weight post-menopause. I went from 177 to 120. I exercise a lot (running and walking) which makes a big difference for me.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    At 5'7" and 137, yes it will be difficult to lose. You are already in the mid-lower end of your healthy BMI, so weight loss will necessarily be very slow.

I agree with those who are recommending recomp. I'm 63, I lost my weight after menopause, (I'm now 5'7" 140) but that last 15-20 pounds took me nine months. It's just slow going when you have to eat so little. Exercise helped, I could eat a bit more. I also lost that last 15 at 1500 calories, Net.
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Eat less calories than you burn and you'l shed weight.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If you lack energy, eat good carbs. If you're hungry, eat some fat. Always eat protein. You're already at a good weight. Have you tried counting macros? Might help you feel better.
  • olar1
    Options
    Thanks all, this is helpful. I do weigh food, actually, more than measure. Only liquids get measured (milk, wine if I drink it). Nuts and vegetables, fruit, uncooked protein etc. get weighed. I didn't know that about machines being that inaccurate in calorie count. I do try to use the machines fully--like not leaning on the dash of the machine or making it easy on myself while using it. But I take the point that they likely vary. I have serious chronic neck problems which limits the types of weight bearing exercises I can do, as well as making yoga impossible. But I'll give more thought to types of exercise I can do to prevent habituation. thanks again everyone.
  • Naaer
    Naaer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I am, also, have gone thru menopause, and am finding it VERY difficult to lose weight...I lost forty pounds a couple of years ago, so I know it CAN be done, but it is hard, hard, hard...Friend me, if you'd like...It sounds like you and I are having pretty much the same weight loss issue...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    olar1 wrote: »
    Thanks all, this is helpful. I do weigh food, actually, more than measure. Only liquids get measured (milk, wine if I drink it). Nuts and vegetables, fruit, uncooked protein etc. get weighed. I didn't know that about machines being that inaccurate in calorie count. I do try to use the machines fully--like not leaning on the dash of the machine or making it easy on myself while using it. But I take the point that they likely vary. I have serious chronic neck problems which limits the types of weight bearing exercises I can do, as well as making yoga impossible. But I'll give more thought to types of exercise I can do to prevent habituation. thanks again everyone.

Re: Machines.

I think this is an extreme case, but I'll share it: In this morning's 45-minute spin class, the bike said 603 calories. My heart rate monitor said 244.

If the machine knows your weight and actual heart rate boundaries (resting and tested max) it may be closer. Weight and age are better than nothing, but probably a step less accurate. If there's no user personalization at all (like my spin bike), then I'd be very skeptical. Cross check the machine estimate's against other sources if possible - even the MFP database. The latter is usually a little higher for spin than my HRM - maybe 300ish for this one - but lots closer than the machine.

(Is my HRM right? No way to be sure, but it's on the low side, and consistent, so that's what I use.)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Naaer wrote: »
    I am, also, have gone thru menopause, and am finding it VERY difficult to lose weight...I lost forty pounds a couple of years ago, so I know it CAN be done, but it is hard, hard, hard...Friend me, if you'd like...It sounds like you and I are having pretty much the same weight loss issue...
    I find this intriguing. Losing weight should only be slightly difficult (we all like to eat). What is it you do, what are you struggling with, could it be that you are doing unnecessary things?
  • olar1
    Options
    To clarify, on the machine thing. When I use it as a basic elliptical, I usually burn about 300 calories for 30 minutes of effort (which is what I usually see with any elliptical I use at a medium high level of effort). When I use strength training--which alternates 45 seconds of moderate effort with 15 seconds of high effort, then I get a burn of 360 calories for 30 minutes. And i'm definitely more tired afterwards. So while the machines are likely off somewhat, I don't think they are off by a tremendous amount as compared to other machines I've used over the years--and I've used many.... :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    To clarify, on the machine thing. When I use it as a basic elliptical, I usually burn about 300 calories for 30 minutes of effort (which is what I usually see with any elliptical I use at a medium high level of effort). When I use strength training--which alternates 45 seconds of moderate effort with 15 seconds of high effort, then I get a burn of 360 calories for 30 minutes. And i'm definitely more tired afterwards. So while the machines are likely off somewhat, I don't think they are off by a tremendous amount as compared to other machines I've used over the years--and I've used many.... :)

360 calories for 30 minutes of strength training?!? I get like 150 for 45 minutes. I'd certainly question that number.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    What do you do for the rest of the day when you are not working out?

After menopause your risk of developing thyroid problems increases so if you continue to gain you might want to have that checked. But 7 lbs isn't much of a fluctuation and you are at a healthy weight.
  • olar1
    Options
    Interesting. Are you referring to strength training on an elliptical? The numbers I gave are pretty commensurate with numbers I've gotten on every elliptical type machine i've used. I tend to average around 125-135 strides/minute (I forget the watts). i have no idea if that is considered fast or slow. I've never worked out with other people or discussed working out with other people, so I've no idea what is typical, believe it or not, despite having been using some kind of aerobic machine (stairmaster...exercise bike...etc.) since college (a long long long time...) How does your machine measure? Mine asks for my weight as part of its measurement metric. You may be right that its totally off. I just have no idea.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Are you referring to strength training on an elliptical? The numbers I gave are pretty commensurate with numbers I've gotten on every elliptical type machine i've used. I tend to average around 125-135 strides/minute (I forget the watts). i have no idea if that is considered fast or slow. I've never worked out with other people or discussed working out with other people, so I've no idea what is typical, believe it or not, despite having been using some kind of aerobic machine (stairmaster...exercise bike...etc.) since college (a long long long time...) How does your machine measure? Mine asks for my weight as part of its measurement metric. You may be right that its totally off. I just have no idea.

Strength training on an elliptical? That's a thing? I thought you meant you were strength training - lifting weights. I've never heard of a cardio machine that offered "strength training."