Booty Building

Options
My backside is flat as a pancake and I want to give it some shape. Only there's so much advice out there from doing squats and pilates to lifting heavy weights. Do squats actually work or do I need to be looking at lifting? What's the best way to start getting some shape?

Replies

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Strong Curves is a great program that focuses on booty gains. I just started and I am loving it.
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I would say squats and lunges are probably the best thing to help build strength and muscle in that area. In general i think you want to lift weights and try to build your strength. While cardio seems to be the focus on most peoples workout routine, if you are looking to build muscle, I would not do as much cardio and focus on weight training. Goodluck.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Strong Curves is a great program that focuses on booty gains. I just started and I am loving it.

I was googling Strong Curves. Is this a book, or DVD?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Strong Curves. There are several programs in there, from bodyweight to advanced with equipment. He has you doing hip thrusts and glute bridges as your main exercises, also deadlifts and squats, as well as accessory work.

Also, for best results you want to be eating in a surplus to grow the muscle.. at least at maintenance. But your next steps will depend on your stats and bodyfat %.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »

It is a book
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I will give another vote of Strong Curves. I have had noticeable results. You will probably get the best results using weights but if these are not available it is still possible to build your booty using only bodyweight as long as your program is progressive (e.g. more reps, modifications to make the movements more difficult) you won't be able to make changes to your body if you keep doing the same thing. Following a structured program like Strong Curves is a good way to do this as it will tell you when you need to make things more difficult.

You haven't mentioned your diet but you also probably won't be able to build considerable muscle unless you are eating at at least maintenance if not at a slight surplus. My bum is definitely stronger, rounder and firmer but it's not got much bigger and I know that this is because I am still eating at a deficit.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Haha I was typing at the same time as @sardelsa and said pretty much the same thing in much more words! Listen to her. When it comes to booty building, she knows her stuff!
  • 3bambi3
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Another vote for Strong Curves. There are several programs in there, from bodyweight to advanced with equipment. He has you doing hip thrusts and glute bridges as your main exercises, also deadlifts and squats, as well as accessory work.

Also, for best results you want to be eating in a surplus to grow the muscle.. at least at maintenance. But your next steps will depend on your stats and bodyfat %.

@sardelsa Did you ever run the program on a deficit?
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »

It is a book

I just ordered it last week on MFP peeps recommendations, comes in monday...can't wait!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Majority of people don't go down enough for squats to do anything to the glutes. And sometimes even when you do, quads take over.
    There are better exercises out there for glutes, hip thrust, glute bridges, kickbacks etc

And deadlifts, donkey kicks, clams (with resistance bands), single leg push downs on the assisted pull up.

I agree with the above about the squats though, unless I really concentrate on hitting depth (bum to floor) and a hip hinge on the way up, there's very little going on in the glutes (not that that bothers as I do the other stuff for those and squats are mainly for my quads).
  • sardelsa
    Options

Well I ran a version of it after I had my son (I used his template to make my own programming). But recently I have been running Get Glutes, a spin-off program very similar to Strong Curves, in a deficit while cutting after my bulk with great success.
  • littlebuffbiddy
    littlebuffbiddy Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Okay I haven't seen Strong Curves but now I am superrr curious! For my booty, I do a lot of weighted bridges / single leg bridges. To me they are the absolute BEST glute activating exercise you can do. I also think lunge variations are great for balancing all of the muscles in your glutes; pulse lunges, Bulgarian split lunges, alternating walking lunges, lateral lunges, curtsey lunges etc. I Also love sumo squats, goblet squats, single leg deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts, cable kick backs, and all things focused on the hamstrings. I hurt my knee because I did not have balanced gluteus medius and hip flexors - and am on the mend. So please incorporate clams (you can use a resistance band to make it harder) and one legged squats (using a bench etc) to keep everything balanced and avoid the issues I have faced!

Now off to check out strong curves!
  • 3bambi3
    Options

Well I ran a version of it after I had my son (I used his template to make my own programming). But recently I have been running Get Glutes, a spin-off program very similar to Strong Curves, in a deficit while cutting after my bulk with great success.

I'll check that one out; thank you!
  • sardelsa
    Options

I'll check that one out; thank you!

No prob! If you haven't run Strong Curves before I would definitely check it out first, especially since you can find the template online for free and the book (which I highly recommend) is pretty reasonable.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I recommend deadlifts, hip raises, glute bridges, reverse hyperextensions, and lunges in addition to the squats. Check out Strong Curves for sure! And you have to eat to build a booty.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    CJ_Holmes wrote: »
    I recommend deadlifts, hip raises, glute bridges, reverse hyperextensions, and lunges in addition to the squats. Check out Strong Curves for sure! And you have to eat to build a booty.

Yup, and more than the 1000 calories you were saying you eat... are you still 109# at 5'6" ? Because that's going to have to change significantly if you plan on having a booty in this lifetime. ;)

I agree with this.

OP if those are your current stats, you will definitely have to eat in a surplus to build anything.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Work up to 3 sets of 30 reps or more bodyweight squats - vary your stance from hip width to shoulder width.
    Wider stance hits the booty while narrower stance hits the thighs so alternate the stance.
    Stationary lunges are also good. Throw in a couple sets.
    Don't neglect your upper body.
    Do 3-6 sets of pushups and also some kind of upper body pull or row.
    Do this 3-4 times per week.
    Make your goal a hard, muscular body. The size of your butt is somewhat genetic.

• wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Barbell hip thrust and GHD both activate glutes a lot more than squats do. You should probably squat as well, but those two will give you much better butt gains.