I don't think I'm eating enough to fuel my workouts.

Options
MFP "gives" me 1200 a day, but since I started running 3x a week (30 minutes right now) I just don't feel like I have enough fuel to get through. My BMR is 1191. My TDEE is 1584. I'd like to lose 15lbs or so. I have no idea what I should be eating.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    MFP assumes you will eat exercise calories back.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    honestly, Yes pay attention to calculators. But listen to TDEE not BMR- Your working out so you should be eating more. That said, Your body really is infinatly wise. Listen to it. Just be careful to be listening to your body, Not your mind or mouth. Takes some practice to learn true hunger and weakness etc caused by need for more food, Vs cravings and boredom eating. Especially at first, As fake hunger signals are common as a way to trick yourself into thinking its okay to eat more.

For example, if you think of a big plate of vegetables and it sounds good to you, And satisfying, Eat it.

If your thinking of something in particular, Maybe its just a craving specifically if its a less healthy food choice.

1200 calories is the very lowest end of healthy calorie amounts, Most people need more. Especially if exercising.
  • yourfitnessenemy
    yourfitnessenemy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am eating back my exercise calories.

My tdee is probably so low because I'm 5'2" and 42.

I had mine set at sedentary and 1lb per week. I changed it to active and 1/2 lb per week and will give that a try...

I'm not really having cravings particularly, but I feel really weak when working out. Not winded, just...weak, like I can't get through it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I had mine set at sedentary and 1lb per week. I changed it to active and 1/2 lb per week and will give that a try...

I'm not really having cravings particularly, but I feel really weak when working out. Not winded, just...weak, like I can't get through it.

What do you do for work that makes you active?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

What's your running schedule look like? Are you sleeping well?
  • yourfitnessenemy
    Options

I'm a social worker, so I'm not particularly active at work. SO. . .now I'm confused, should I still be at sedentary?
  • yourfitnessenemy
    Options

What's your running schedule look like? Are you sleeping well?

Right now my running schedule is only M-W-F for 30 minutes, I'll be increasing to 45min-hour soon. I'll start training for a 1/2 marathon over the winter. I'm sleeping ok, though I have to take melatonin.
  • yourfitnessenemy
    Options
    TDEE doesn't have anything to do with height (although age plays more of a factor) - I'm 5'3" and 35 and my TDEE is about 2500

Interesting, I didn't know that! I got my TDEE from an online calculator so I don't know much I should trust it.
  • yourfitnessenemy
    Options
    TDEE doesn't have anything to do with height (although age plays more of a factor) - I'm 5'3" and 35 and my TDEE is about 2500

Interesting, I didn't know that! I got my TDEE from an online calculator so I don't know much I should trust it.

I just did another calculator and it gave me 1730. That sounds more reasonable.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    As you increase your running workload, you'll notice increased hunger. At your current 30 minute duration, its probably not an issue while running. As you train for the HM and your runs start to exceed say 90 minutes, you may need to fuel a bit before and even during the workouts in order to avoid a dropoff in performance. As others have noted, endurance training requires a significant amount of fuel. Finding the right balance is the key...and often takes a bit of experimenting.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    kimothy38 wrote: »
    I was struggling with having enough energy after doing fasting and started taking a BCAA drink - best thing I ever did, worked wonders. Just an idea.

Out of curiosity, did you find a benefit in your run training, or just more energy in general?
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I eat a couple hard boiled eggs before I run. If I don't I run out of gas......
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I'm a social worker, so I'm not particularly active at work. SO. . .now I'm confused, should I still be at sedentary?

If you are using mfp, you set your activity level based on your non-exercise daily life. So probably sedentary. Then log your exercise and eat back some or all of the extra cals it gives you. And since you are smaller and only have 15 lbs to lose, you probably want to go with half a lb per week.

As far as what to eat, that can be highly individual. I don't run, but before a hike I eat something carb'ey with a bit of protein like yogurt and fruit or oats, or some nuts.

I find my legs get heavy and tired when I'm tired, so are you getting enough sleep?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You don't need a huge amount of food before a thirty minute workout. Try a cheese and cracker snack pack just before your run and see how you feel afterwards.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Since you aren't actually burning that many calories, it's probably more a question of what you are eating than how much. While protein helps you feel full longer, it doesn't help much for short term energy. I find I don't run as well after an egg breakfast as I do after oatmeal or cereal. You may also be having issues with dehydration. That can affect your energy significantly. Drink more water.