How Do I stop yo yo dieting?

Options
2»

Replies

• kib113356
    kib113356 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The best way is to not think about it. Just log day by day. Don't expect fast results and instead focus on how you feel. You will notice the weight come off in no time (though you do seem healthy but that isn't my business)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    You will probably need drop some of the workouts or switch to something less intense. I can't imagine why being so thin would be preferable to being at your current healthy weight and more fit, but you aren't likely to maintain a BMI of 18 with much muscle on your body.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Actually, you're already at an unhealthy low weight. Losing more would be ill-advised, and bad for your health.

No she's not. Her BMI is 20.6 which is well within the healthy range.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Moderation and consistency. You yo-yo because you go too hard too fast. The effort is unsustainable and leads to a breakdown. A change in your metabolism has nothing to do with it.

One indulgent meal is not making you gain weight unless you are conveniently stringing a number of those meals together throughout the week. Stop obsessing over daily fluctuations and focus on long-term trends.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    A poster said to drink hard liquor with diet soda - I have read that you can get drunker faster with that combo.

Yes you can. But if your goal is to get buzzed or drunk you can get there with less calories.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Minaz95 wrote: »
    I was also 115lbs, in high school. We all grow up. I wouldn't have the goal weight of 110lbs, which is the size I was in grade 11 because I'm not a teenager anymore. College didn't hit you, you turned into a grown up, with a grown up's body. If you still want a child's body, you need to go talk to someone about it.

Your talking about high school hun.I literally started college like an three semesters ago FYI.Im sure my body didn’t change from a child’s body to a grown up body in three semesters (that’s about an year).I do remember being a woman during that time hmmmmmmm....

Oh yeah, those changes can happen that fast. I was 118 in high school and wearing junior sizes; by the middle of my freshman year in college I had to switch to misses (my hips had widened) and I was a few pounds heavier. I looked better at a heavier weight because I was curvier. The only way you'll get back to your high school weight is to underfeed your body, and then your hair will start to fall out, your nails will become brittle, etc. It won't be pretty.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    You're already at an ok weight for your height.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Minaz95 wrote: »
    So my fellow myfitnesspal buddies I need your guys honest advice.First of my height is 5’6 and I’m 124.6 pounds.My goal weight is 115 pounds (Please DONT say Im already a healthy Weight I don’t need to go there.) For the past year I have been trying to lose those last ten pounds by doing workouts such as (Insanity max 30, Focus t25 , fitnessblender) and I eat 1250 calories a day.I do lose weight but once I eat out with my friends as a cheat meal I gain all the weight back upto 124.6 pounds. I don’t know what to do.How can I lose those last ten pounds without creating a havoc in my metobolism.I came from 155 pounds to 124 by the way.
    I DO not have an eating disorder there was a time when I was 115 pounds until college hit me.Please just don’t assume things.Thanks.
    Your talking about high school hun.I literally started college like an three semesters ago FYI.Im sure my body didn’t change from a child’s body to a grown up body in three semesters (that’s about an year).I do remember being a woman during that time hmmmmmmm....

So you were 115 lbs until 3 semesters of college happened in the last year but were also up to 155 lbs in that same time but also got down to 124 and then have been trying to lose 10 lbs during that same year? That doesn't make sense.

If you want to stop yo yo-ing then you need to be more consistent and accurate every day.

Don't be so restrictive during the week. Don't stop calorie counting during the weekend. Get a food scale.
    You are likely eating more than 1250 calories- and should be with the exercise you say you are doing.
    Your goal should be to lose .5 lb a week so your deficit should be 250 calories less than your maintenance.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Have you considered recomp? This is where you eat at maintenance and lift to reduce fat and build lean muscle. This may help you get the lean look you desire.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    You'll lose weight if you eat less than you burn. Period. If you want to get down to 115 then just stick to your calories and aim for a pound or two loss a month. Life will be a lot more fun and you'll have more energy. I'm going from 128 to 121 right now ( am 5'2"). It's slow going, as I'm also in a health BMI. If/when I have extra calories it slows my loss. I'm ok with that as I only eat extra when socializing. You need to just tweak a little and be sure to record your cheat meals. They add up in calories.
  • belleflop
    belleflop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Please give me more details . I appreciate it.

Sure. Instead of going on a diet and restricting myself to only certain kinds of foods I focus on total calories in vs calories burned. The end result is that I don't restrict what I eat, just how much total I eat. This removed a lot of the triggers that led me to yo-yo diet for 12+ years.

As a side note, I do prescribe to intermittent fasting (IF) and try to keep net carbs low most days, but both of these habits are mainly because they make me feel good and I can sustain the habits for the long run. IF and low carb eating is completely unnecessary for weight loss, it's just what works for me.