Does blood donation will burn calories ?

Options
tigerblood6
tigerblood6 Posts: 65 Member
edited September 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi,
I just wanna know if blood donation will burn calories of 650cals per session?
I had donated 450ml of blood today.
Does anyone knows??
Should I install it in my fitness pal app as deficit

Replies

• HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Nothing that will matter in the long run
  • Dinow
    Dinow Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am donating blood next Saturday for first time not sure what to expect. Any help greatly appreciated. Should I eat a big breakfast thank you
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    HermanLily wrote: »
    I've donated over 8 gallons, 1 pint at a time. Never lost any true weight, so I would not log it. Congratulations on your donation though, each pint has the potential to save 3 lives.
    @HermanLily
    Wow - that's seriously impressive.

You may not have lost any weight but you would in theory you would be almost 12lbs heavier if you hadn't donated so that's a nice bonus for doing something incredibly generous.

• Dinow
    Dinow Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Sijomial thank you for the info very helpful
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Dinow wrote: »
    I am donating blood next Saturday for first time not sure what to expect. Any help greatly appreciated. Should I eat a big breakfast thank you

From experience, just eat your normal meals but don't donate fasted (the only time I fainted was when I did that). Also, drinking a bunch of extra water for a few days helps, but limit the alcohol the day before and cut the caffeine the day of the draw since they tend to slightly dehydrate you. If you are a "difficult stick" (do phlebotomists have trouble finding your veins) it also helps to up your sodium intake the day before so you can plump up your veins.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I have donated 40 times, well over 1 gallon of blood since most were double-red donations. Following a donation, I usually give myself 200-300 extra calories for the next day or two so that I don't feel drained. For a single red donation, fluids are more important anyway. I do this by logging "Blood Donation" as exercise and entering how many calories I want to give myself.
  • crankyme
    crankyme Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good job fellow donor! I never count any calories for donating. It goes without saying, but try and work out the day before you donate, because there ain't know way it's happening afterward...even two days is hard sometimes.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Not worth logging but great karma!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Does anybody else like making it a race and trying to see how fast you can fill the bag? I usually end up furiously squeezing that little ball thing to make the blood come out faster!
  • ICameToGetDown
    ICameToGetDown Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Dinow wrote: »

Don't worry as much on eating. It's more important to be well hydrated to "float" your veins.