Carbs

Hey guys I’m trying to figure out how many carbs I need to eat a day? My doc said 20 but that seems like nothing. Please help. I’ve gained 8 lbs back and feeling really depressed.

Replies

• dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    20 g of carb is basically vegetables only. I tried a low carb/high protein once and was very disappointed. It only measured carbs and protein (not calories) and as I recall I couldn't even keep my carbs down to the target of 50 g. For me it was torture. Also I'm not all that meat crazy so had a hard time getting the protein high enough. Fats were always high as they were not measured at all and you got to have calories somewhere. Bottom line besides being miserable I lost very little weight after a couple months of logging the carbs & protein. I'm sure my calories were just too high. I too am diabetic and avoid sugar and eat very small portions of white starches so that my carbs run closer to 100-120 g, unless I splurge and have a dessert. And like everyone else says, it the calories that make you gain weight. I've had no problem losing weight since I started logging calories and balancing macros. I'd start out at the recommended and settings and slowly lower the carbs until you reach your good range.
  • thunderchild007
    thunderchild007 Posts: 43 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    shiroky05 wrote: »
    Hey guys I’m trying to figure out how many carbs I need to eat a day? My doc said 20 but that seems like nothing. Please help. I’ve gained 8 lbs back and feeling really depressed.

If your doctor said 20 grams of carbs and didn't provide an explanation of why this was necessary for you or how to accomplish it, you should get a better doctor.

^^this^^
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    shiroky05 wrote: »

If your doctor said 20 grams of carbs and didn't provide an explanation of why this was necessary for you or how to accomplish it, you should get a better doctor.

Agreed, although I'd first try asking the doctor for an explanation.
  • 20 grams of carbohydrates per day sounds very unhealthy. How could you possibly even eat enough fruits and vegetables on that regimen? I eat 50-60 percent of calories from carbohydrates and I am losing weight.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,989 Member
    Did the doc mean 20% maybe?
    That's a more reasonable suggestion than 20 grams anyway.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2017

(I'm too literal sometimes!) ;-)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Did the doc mean 20% maybe?
    That's a more reasonable suggestion than 20 grams anyway.

I've been wondering that too.... Either way, it's irrelevant to being in a calorie deficit
  • emailmehere1122
    emailmehere1122 Posts: 140 Member
    Since your DOCTOR who has access to your...you know...medical info perhaps you should do as he/she tells you. I would definitely find out why he/she wants you to eat so few carbs or seek out a second opinion

Only having 20 carbs a day doesn't cause anyone to gain weight...you're gaining weight because you're eating more calories then you're burning