Corn on the cob

Options
How do you figure how many calories it has?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Weigh the cob, eat the corn on it, weigh the cob again. Log the difference as the amount of corn you ate.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    Weigh the ear. Weigh the con and subtract. The difference is the weight of sweet corn you should record.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I googled it and found this - https://goo.gl/xwUq5y
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    h9dlb wrote: »
    Full of sugar might as well eat chocolate

Not...

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods/corn#section2
    Like all cereal grains, corn is primarily composed of carbs.

Starch is the main type of carbs found in corn, making up 28-80% of the dry weight. Corn also contains small amounts of sugar (1-3%) (1, 2).

Sweet corn, also known as sugar corn, is a special low-starch variety (28%) with a higher sugar content (18%), most of which is sucrose (1).

The glycemic index is a measure of how quickly carbs are digested. Foods that rank high on this index may cause an unhealthy spike in blood sugar.

Despite the sugar content of sweet corn, it is not a high-glycemic food, ranking low or medium on the glycemic index (3).

BOTTOM LINE:
    Corn is mainly composed of carbs. It scores low to medium on the glycemic index, so whole corn should not cause large spikes in blood sugar.
    Fiber
    Corn contains a fair amount of fiber.

One medium bag of popcorn from a cinema (112 g) contains approximately 16 grams of fiber.

This amount is 42% and 64% of the adequate daily intake for men and women, respectively (1, 4). The fiber content of different corn types varies, but is generally around 9-15% (1, 2).

The predominant types of fiber in corn are insoluble fibers, such as hemicellulose, cellulose, and lignin (2).

BOTTOM LINE:
    Whole corn is fairly high in fiber. In fact, one bag of popcorn may contain a large proportion of the recommended daily intake.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    h9dlb wrote: »
    Full of sugar might as well eat chocolate

What? It has a completely different taste (as well as different nutrients) than chocolate. Why would you ever substitute one for the other?
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    NOBODY is getting me to swap chocolate for corn! (and I like corn)
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    ZoneFive wrote: »
    NOBODY is getting me to swap chocolate for corn! (and I like corn)

Yeah...chocolate, grape tomato, taco chicken, spinach loaded baked potato just doesn't sound good! (Is great with corn though!)