Half way to my 100lb weight loss goal, but once I hit it I want to get pregnant.

Options
Hello all, by January 4th 2018 I want to hit my 100lb goal which I'm over half way there, but also by January 2018 my bf wants me to get pregnant. How can I get pregnant and continue to lose weight and stay healthy if I get pregnant? I'm ready to have a baby as well, but I'm scared because I'm working so hard to get to my goal and don't want to lose focus once I'm pregnant. I was pregnant with twins in 2012 and was really heavy. My pregnancy was going great until I hit 6 months then I went into labor, and with it being to early both of my boys passed away soon after they were born. Doctors assumed it was because I was over weight, but couldn't understand how I lasted 6 months with 2. I need some advice because I'm struggling with this. Thank you all for your help.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for the loss of your twins, dmusic83.

I would say that pregnancy and children are the biggest decisions you can make as a woman, and your BF should have zero say in that. What about getting married? Has he proposed?
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for the loss of your twins. If I were in your shoes, I'd sit down and really think about if now is a good time to get pregnant and have a baby. If I were in your shoes I'd want to get to my goal weight first and maintain for at least 6 months before trying. But again, that is me. If your age is a factor to why you want to get pregnant sooner than I'd understand, but do not let your boyfriend sway you if you want to get to your goal first.
  • dmusic83
    dmusic83 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for the loss of your twins, dmusic83.

I would say that pregnancy and children are the biggest decisions you can make as a woman, and your BF should have zero say in that. What about getting married? Has he proposed?

Hi @cmriverside, he proposed over a year ago, but I asked him if we could wait. If it wasn't for me we would be engaged and planning our dream wedding, but I wanted to work on my weight first. He's a great guy and I've been making him wait a very long time. But you are right he should have no say in me becoming a mother until I am truly ready. I'll be 34 in a few weeks so I know my time is ticking.
  • dmusic83
    dmusic83 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    busyPK wrote: »
    I'm sorry for the loss of your twins. If I were in your shoes, I'd sit down and really think about if now is a good time to get pregnant and have a baby. If I were in your shoes I'd want to get to my goal weight first and maintain for at least 6 months before trying. But again, that is me. If your age is a factor to why you want to get pregnant sooner than I'd understand, but do not let your boyfriend sway you if you want to get to your goal first.

Hi @busyPK, age is a factor for me as I will be 34 in a few weeks. I know what want, but at the same time I am so scared. I've been making him wait a long time and he's been good about it, but now he's asking more and more. He's been really supportive with my weight loss journey even eating right and working out with me a lot of times. This is so hard, but I don't want to stress myself out as that will hurt my weight loss as well. Thank you for responding.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    I guess I would say, wait and see how you feel in January. Lots of things could change! You could be very clear about your choice by then.

One day at a time..(?) It kinda works. :smile:

• busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I guess I would say, wait and see how you feel in January. Lots of things could change! You could be very clear about your choice by then.

One day at a time..(?) It kinda works. :smile:

I agree with this. Work hard until your January 4th date and re-evaluate how you feel. You may not be at your goal weight then, but may feel confident that you are healthier and ready to start a family. I have 3 kids, and love them to pieces, but as most moms do I did put myself on the back burner when they were newborns/really young.
  • jrowden0711
    jrowden0711 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    This is something you need to discuss with your OB. Losing weight and pregnancy are generally not recommended. But, that doesn't mean you need to lose sight of being healthy while you are pregnant. You can continue to maintain a healthy, well balanced diet while keeping your weight gain reasonable. You can continue to exercise while pregnant, as long as your doctor gives you the okay. I would schedule an appt with your OB so that you can openly discuss your concerns about your weight and health and what the effects pregnancy will have on them, that way you can make a well informed decision.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    This is something you need to discuss with your OB. Losing weight and pregnancy are generally not recommended. But, that doesn't mean you need to lose sight of being healthy while you are pregnant. You can continue to maintain a healthy, well balanced diet while keeping your weight gain reasonable. You can continue to exercise while pregnant, as long as your doctor gives you the okay. I would schedule an appt with your OB so that you can openly discuss your concerns about your weight and health and what the effects pregnancy will have on them, that way you can make a well informed decision.

Actually, there are some newer studies which show that overweight women can continue to lose weight while being pregnant. Obviously you should not get pregnant on purpose while overweight because of adverse effects on the both you and the baby.

Check this out:

opb.org/radio/programs/thinkoutloud/segment/study-shows-overweight-pregnant-women-can-safely-lose-weight/
  • Cheery83
    Cheery83 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    How was your appetite låst time you were pregnant? I have gone trough three pregnancy and for two of them I didnt gain at all due to having no appetite at all. So it is'nt an empirical fact that you will gain weight when you do get pregnant. Given your history I would recommend you talk to your doctor before getting pregnant to agree on the safest way for you to diet whilst pregnant.
    My most heartfelt condolences on your boys.
    I hope the future brings you healthy rainbows.
    By the way there is a Facebook forum pregnancy after loss . For people in your situation. I found the articles there quite helpfull.