80 : 20 rule??

Options
does this mean 20 % of ur daily calories can come from junk? lol for example on a 2000 cal diet would the person be able to eat 1600 cal healthy foods and 400 cal junk?? how does it work

Replies

• CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Instead of trying ot beat the system so to speak, why not start replacing that junk you want to eat with some yummy alternatives. I love chips and salsa, so now I have the salsa, but dip celery sticks in instead of chips.
  • NCmcMan
    NCmcMan Posts: 36
    Options
    Instead of trying ot beat the system so to speak, why not start replacing that junk you want to eat with some yummy alternatives. I love chips and salsa, so now I have the salsa, but dip celery sticks in instead of chips.

That actually sounds like a DELICIOUS idea!!
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options

mmmm....I love carrots and salsa...so yummy!!!
  • kathywoo10
    kathywoo10 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    does this mean 20 % of ur daily calories can come from junk? lol for example on a 2000 cal diet would the person be able to eat 1600 cal healthy foods and 400 cal junk?? how does it work

That's interesting! Here is a good PDF I was reading about the topic:

http://www.cyber-spy.com/ebooks/ebooks/The-8020-Rule-of-Healthy-Eating-(ebook).pdf
  • Kassielin13
    Options
    Forget the junk lol! Go 99% healthy and try your hardest to stay away from the junk. You may not always be able to stay away from the junk but having self-control and only eating that junk in moderation will really pay off in the end. There will probably always be days for everyone when you will just crave something bad, if you completely deprive yourself then you are more likely to binge on the junk. Hope this helps!
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I dont think thats what it means. I dont really know anyone who would recommend that 20% of your diet be junk. I've heard that you should eat until your 80% full, or that 80% of your diet should come from vegetables and 20% should be either a protein or a grain. I dont know that either of those is accurate. i just try to keep my diet as clean as possible, allowing myself an indulgence once in a while. and I only prepare myself the proper amount of food, which helps me avoid over stuffing myself. I certainly dont aim to eat 20% junk....lol...but there are days when I'm sure it happens anyway!
  • Lolyballs
    Lolyballs Posts: 180 Member
    Options

mmmm....I love carrots and salsa...so yummy!!!

I like both these ideas!
  • elly0001
    elly0001 Posts: 191
    Options
    yeah i wouldnt have thought it meant eating 20% junk cos that seems like alot! keep treat for the odd occasion seems like the best bet -how often do u guys indulge (icecream, cake etc)???
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    400 calories of food that ice cream isn't that much, so sure why not? Though it's not really something people do daily as a regiment, it's meant to mean that you can still eat less than healthful food and do well with weight loss and be in good health, as long as the large majority of your food intake is healthy.
  • elly0001
    elly0001 Posts: 191
    Options

http://www.cyber-spy.com/ebooks/ebooks/The-8020-Rule-of-Healthy-Eating-(ebook).pdf

that page basically said that 20% of ur calories should come from bad foods! lol
  • kathywoo10
    Options
    yeah i wouldnt have thought it meant eating 20% junk cos that seems like alot! keep treat for the odd occasion seems like the best bet -how often do u guys indulge (icecream, cake etc)???

Per the PDF:

"Because it is a virtual given that we are not going to eat healthy food 100% of the time, let's not set ourselves up for failure
    by making that our goal. Instead, let's shoot for eating well 80% of the time. The other 20% of the time
    we can enjoy whatever it is that makes our taste buds zing."

Umm, honestly, I eat a little bit of chocolate/sweets almost everyday but a very small amount like 1 tiny cookie or 1/2 cup of ice cream. I don't really ever have "cheat days" where I eat whatever I want or go way over calories.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options

that page basically said that 20% of ur calories should come from bad foods! lol

I'd like to see what a food diary of 100% nutritious foods looks like. Honestly, I don't think there's anyone that doesn't have a bit of wasted calories in their diet.
  • kathywoo10
    Options

I think it is more about creating a reasonable goal for how much nutritious and not so nutritious food you eat. Trying to eat nutritious foods 80% of the time or more can be a tough goal for many people. Its not like you are going to plan to eat 400 calories of cake, brownies and crap each day; rather 400 calories should be a maximum that you allow yourself of "bad foods" if you eat them.