My new reason to continue my work outs!!!

Options
On July 11th we were hit hard by a terrible storm, it wiped out many peoples homes including my future in-laws who live out in the country, (farmers) and all 5 of their buildings where destroyed and major damage done to the house. The place was unbelievable, huge 100+ year old trees pulled out of the ground roots and all, many snapped in half, all the vehicles, tractors, equipment, grain bins destroyed, it was truly a nightmare but a blessing that with as many people who lost their homes that NO ONE WAS HURT!!! Thank the lord... Today was the first time I had gone back in a while, but we went to help continue the clean up, we worked for 4 1/2 hours in the sun, in almost 100 degree heat, there is actually a HEAT ADVISORY in effect right now because of the heat. We lifted 2x4's and boxes and parts of machines I had no idea what they were, so much broken glass and insulation scattered throughout the property, vinyl siding and metal siding all over. But we did get a lot accomplished today.

Now, here is my new reason to continue working out. While doing all of this hard labor in this crazy heat, I realized, had I tried to do this 2 1/2 months ago, there is no way I could have been any use, I'd have gotten too hot, I was too weak, and I wouldn't have been worth a darn. My working out has improved my strength and endurance so much and I am so grateful for it now because it's prepared me to handle and help in a tragic situation. Besides "looking better" I am just so proud of myself that I could keep up with the guys and prove myself worthy, being the only woman out there. I don't know if this will inspire anyone but I inspired myself, that's for sure. Now I'm going to go sit down and lather myself in aloe vera cause after sweating the sun screen away I am pretty toasted...

Hope you all had a great weekend!!!! <3<3<3<3

Amy

Replies

• 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing Amy...well done and all the very best!!
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about the disaster. You're accomplishments are astounding! Keep up the great work in always finding motivation to continue on! :flowerforyou:
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    What a great story! Sorry about the devastation in your area, but how wonderful that you were able to contribute so much because of your lifestyle change. God bless you for your efforts!
  • rowbseat13
    rowbseat13 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear everyone is OK. What an awesome reason to stay healthy! It's great that you've turned such a terrible situation into motivation for helping others.

I know how you feel -- the tornadoes that wiped out my hometown and damaged my family's homes made national news back in April. (I'm from northern Alabama.) It's 3 months later, and the debris and damage is still sickening. :(
  • Amymhis
    Amymhis Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    OMG yes I heard about Alabama, you guys got it bad out there! So sorry to hear about that, the lives lost, the homes, such a tragedy :(