Out of control snacking

Options
Can I get some tips to curb the out of control snacking. I'm not even hungry. I'm tired, stressed, sad, mad but definitely not hungry. I'm not good at meditating because I can't shut my brain down long enough I can really go for a quick walk around the block because I live on a busy road with no sidewalks. How do I just say no to grazing through the pantry and fridge? Please help.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I stopped snacking full stop. I did a program that only "allowed" 3 meals a day - I'm good with sticking to rules and guidelines, especially ones set by other people.

Having meals planned and prepped helps. Not having snacks available helps. Keeping busy helps.

Why are you tired, stressed, sad and mad? Doesn't sound like a good place to be mentally - is there any way you can change those things?
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I plan out my eating for the day, including snacks, so that if I'm tempted to eat something or on the plan or in budget, I don't do it. I like to snack, so I just build the snacks into my calories for the day.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Snacking was my Achilles heel as well. I was grazing all day and all night long, not because I was hungry but because I was bored I guess. I think it is all a matter of mind set. I quit cold turkey. I like logging calories because it gives me a standard to achieve and I guess I've always been an achiever. I've been so good at staying within my daily goal that I don't want to do anything to mess up my score. I also log ahead during the day so I can better plan and adjust. After dinner, I only have 200-250 calories left over for my PM snack so that is what I get, and I'm happy with it. Usually something with protein and a piece of fruit. Also, when I went grocery shopping I didn't buy anything that might temp me. When I get healthy, the whole family gets healthy.
  • fveekaye
    fveekaye Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Here are some strategies that I've been trying to use to beat the munchies:
    • Drink some water or make a cup of tea or some other low calorie drink.
    • Play a game of cards with a friend
    • Phone a friend
    • Post here or chat with someone you know
    • Get a coloring book or some paint or something else creative
    • Do whatever you like to do to distract from the kitchen.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I was a terrible grazer - and I just decided to stop, and instead just eat meals. It works great because I plan and make delicious meals - so I don't want to spoil my appetite. I also decided I'm not going to eat for other purposes than fuel and enjoyment - I don't use food to ease emotions, for entertainment when I'm bored (still working on "bored mouth syndrome"), to avoid doing things I have to do, to release stress, or eat mindlessly just because it's available, or compulsively because I think I'm not able to stop. To make this work, I need to not buy large quantities of "trigger" foods (never have more than a week's worth at any time) and conversely, always have available ingredients for planned meals ready in time.

Cravings can't be controlled, but you can control your actions, and you can learn to tolerate cravings.

Mindfulness ("meditation for dummies") takes time, practice and commitment.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    There are some great suggestions here and many of them have worked for me. Now I've slipped backwards and I've got to work on new habits again.

It helps me to really pinpoint where I've messed up. For me it's that moment of choice where I feel the pull of my old habits, when I don't know how to handle whatever it is that's going on. When I feel doubtful that I can change things is when I give in to bad habits.

To change any old habit is to choose a new course of action, again and again. And trusting that change will happen if you take the power to make that different choice.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    That's why I keep lots of popcorn on hand and it's my go-to when I get the snacking urge, which is literally ALL day on the days when I telework at home. I also 2nd the cup above poster's cup of tea recommendation. It really works. There is something about it that is comforting and satisfies my urge to have food in my mouth.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Pre-log your food. Eat the food you logged. Don't eat any more food that what you logged.
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Are you sure this isn't related to insulin resistance and how you process carbs?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    First off, this whole thing is WAY easier if you get lots of sleep, so start with that. It will also help sad and mad. Try chewing gum too.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Can you fix your lifestyle, whatever is causing you to be stressed, mad and angry first, and then start dieting? I agree with getting enough sleep. If there is too much chaos in your life it is really hard to focus on the weight loss. We all have stress to a point, but if it so bad that you can't manage it (except by eating or some other addiction) it needs to be dealt with, IMO. I speak from experience. For 6 years I had a very stressful unhappy life--which caused me to gain weight because I turned to food. I decided to wait until I could get into a better place mentally/emotionally before I tried to deal with the weight loss. (it was about a year) Now that I am happy and my life is more pleasant it is much easier to eat properly (and diet) and not turn to food to deal with emotional issues.
  • darlibby
    darlibby Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Do not keep any snacks in your home. None. I will eat myself out of house and home if I keep easily accessible, tasty snacks at home. I will never learn self control and there are no tricks that ever worked for me. I did learn it's all or nothing for me. If you catch yourself buying snacks, throw them away immediately.

Sorry if this sounds extreme and obviously having zero snacks at home isn't feasible for everyone but it's the *only* thing that has worked for me.
  • madihall16
    madihall16 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I chew gum a lot or drink water or even crystal light. I also only keep healthy options around for snacks so when I do cave to temptation.