IIFYM

Just wanted to say hello and tell everyone not to give up. IIFYM works, you just have to get the right macros for your body/metabolism.

I have been following flexible dieting for a while and it's the only approach that works for me. I also have been seriously lifting weights the past 5 years and have been exercising for the past 8. If you have any questions or nees motivation, I am more than happy to help.

I enjoy fitness and health and love to help people.

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Hello and welcome! I am also a IFYM eater and it's works great for me. I also do IF for calorie management. Exercise wise, I weight train and do a mix of LISS and interval training on alternate days.
  • maiseybehrends
    maiseybehrends Posts: 3 Member
    Just wanted to say hello and tell everyone not to give up. IIFYM works, you just have to get the right macros for your body/metabolism.

I have been following flexible dieting for a while and it's the only approach that works for me. I also have been seriously lifting weights the past 5 years and have been exercising for the past 8. If you have any questions or nees motivation, I am more than happy to help.

I just started IIFYM yesturday and ordered the blueprint macro from the IIFYM site. They are saying I should have 1825 calories, 125 protein, 185 carbs, 65 fats. I exercise 6x a week (4weights and 2cardio days). I'm 5"6 and 155lbs. Do these seem accurate to lean out?
  • Trex5009
    Trex5009 Posts: 171 Member
    So a lot of people go by this concept. Let's say you eat whatever as long as it fits your calories.. however the fat & sugar intake is high. Wouldn't that cause weight/fat gain? Would it be ok if you just eat the recommended fat and sugar goal for the day? Or is it still bad
  • Trex5009
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Trex5009 wrote: »
    So a lot of people go by this concept. Let's say you eat whatever as long as it fits your calories.. however the fat & sugar intake is high. Wouldn't that cause weight/fat gain? Would it be ok if you just eat the recommended fat and sugar goal for the day? Or is it still bad

Too many calories causes fat gain, not too much fat or carbs. With that said, it's a good idea for a lot of reasons to eat a reasonably balanced diet.

People misunderstand what IIFYM means. It doesn't mean eat whatever you want and shovel junk down your pie hole all day. It means establish reasonable macros, hit them by eating a sensible diet, and if you have calories left over it's perfectly fine to indulge in foods you enjoy to meet your calorie goal.

Should I be concerned about sugar intake? I sometimes get close to hitting my goal for sugar, but isn't it still bad consuming say 50g of sugar ?

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member

Too many calories causes fat gain, not too much fat or carbs. With that said, it's a good idea for a lot of reasons to eat a reasonably balanced diet.

People misunderstand what IIFYM means. It doesn't mean eat whatever you want and shovel junk down your pie hole all day. It means establish reasonable macros, hit them by eating a sensible diet, and if you have calories left over it's perfectly fine to indulge in foods you enjoy to meet your calorie goal.

Should I be concerned about sugar intake? I sometimes get close to hitting my goal for sugar, but isn't it still bad consuming say 50g of sugar ?

Do you have medical reasons to avoid sugar? Are you eating so much of it that it's crowding other important nutrients out of your diet? Does eating it cause you to binge and exceed your calorie goals on a regular basis?

If 'no' to the above, then there's no reason to be concerned about sugar intake.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,080 Member
    zombie thread. I don't think the OP is coming back to help.
  • Trex5009

Do you have medical reasons to avoid sugar? Are you eating so much of it that it's crowding other important nutrients out of your diet? Does eating it cause you to binge and exceed your calorie goals on a regular basis?

If 'no' to the above, then there's no reason to be concerned about sugar intake.

No, no and no. Thanks for the info
  • mmapags

I just started IIFYM yesturday and ordered the blueprint macro from the IIFYM site. They are saying I should have 1825 calories, 125 protein, 185 carbs, 65 fats. I exercise 6x a week (4weights and 2cardio days). I'm 5"6 and 155lbs. Do these seem accurate to lean out?

In a general sense, they seem fine. What are your weight and fitness goals?
  • jnframpton
    jnframpton Posts: 1 Member

Its actually what ever fits your macros, so you have limits to your fat/sugar intake. Calorie depletion will result in weight loss, but you could also lose muscle mass if you don't get the all the protien, carbs & fat yoi need daily.
  • It’s the only way to live imo
  • Trex5009
    jnframpton wrote: »

Its actually what ever fits your macros, so you have limits to your fat/sugar intake. Calorie depletion will result in weight loss, but you could also lose muscle mass if you don't get the all the protien, carbs & fat yoi need daily.

I never hit my goal for fat carbs or protein!! I don't know what else to eat
  • megpie41
    megpie41 Posts: 164 Member
    I'm not familiar...what is IIFYM?
  • I LOVE IIFYM!! I haven't been happy/excited about anything in a long while
  • Trex5009
    megpie41 wrote: »
    I'm not familiar...what is IIFYM?

It stands for "if it fits your macros"
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited September 2017

Preplan your food for the day and play around with quantities of foods so you do. Start by adding a protein source for each meal, then fat, and add whatever you need to make up the carbs at the end

Also make sure you're using database entries with accurate and complete information
  • mmapags

So, you don't hit your calorie goal? Unless you intake a good amount of alcohol, it's difficult to miss all 3 macros consistently.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    filbo132 wrote: »
    I prefer IIFYM to anything else, especially over keto which restricts you from eating food from one entire macro. What I like about IIFYM is that the only restrictions comes from going over your macros. Naturally, you want to give priority to 1) Calories 2) Protein (if you are a lifter if you care about retaining muscle mass) 3) Micronutrients 4) Fiber 5) Whatever foods you like. You hit all 5 points and you will be fine.

I see way too many people making their life miserable especially if your goal is to lose weight. It's hard enough you have to eat less food on a fat loss phase, why make it even harder by removing foods that you like?

Fixed it for you :)Everyone eating at a deficit should be ensuring they're getting enough protein imho (and by that, I don't mean the paltry RDA), and engaging in some form of resistance training (which doesn't have to be lifting, in the sense of heavy things at the gym).