Running

Options
Allergy sufferers who do cardio. Has anyone got theirs under control. Mine is hard to control which really holds me back during my runs

Replies

• dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I have mine under control with medication
    My way to dealing with it is to build up slow slow slow slow, but always forward. For instance C2K wat way way too fast in build up for me. Pushing it but not over pushing it. It is a contineous exercise in patience and learning to listen to my body.
    Now running on a weekly basis 13km (PR 7km) aiming to do 10k by the end of the year.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    I carry tissues with me. :D

Luckily as I've gotten older my Spring allergies have become less of an issue. For some reason I seem to have developed Fall allergies this year. They're not horrible but I still have to carry tissues. I never know when I'm going to sneeze 20 times in a row...

When things get really bad I use Allegra. I sometimes use allergy eye drops as well.
  • victory68
    victory68 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I did allergy shots for 7 years and honestly can't go very long without taking medication or I start sneezing like crazy and my eyes swell shut. Lol not the best conditions for running. However, I am an avid runner. I would never want to give it up for allergies. Whatever helps you keep them in check on a daily basis do that. I take 180 mg of Allegra in the morning (sometimes Benadryl too) and then I carry tissues on my run. When I get back I wash my face or jump right into a shower. Allergies don't have to slow you down at all you will come up with a system that works for you. Have fun running!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,021 Member
    Options
    I take Allegra daily. I also carry tissue in my flip belt. Some days I run a little slower and try not to worry about it. I feel like if I am well enough to go to work then I am well enough to run. If I feel really bad I will take a rest day if needed.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    I carry a handkerchief, which gets frequent use. Flonase or the generic equivalent helps open my sinuses. Try to avoid really windy days or do shorter runs then. Keep your pace slow since breathing will be more difficult.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Meds, tissues and I run with a Halls in my mouth in an attempt to be able to breathe through my nose.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    mabearof6 wrote: »
    Meds, tissues and I run with a Halls in my mouth in an attempt to be able to breathe through my nose.

Have you tried nasal strips, like Breathe Right, etc? They can help a lot more air get in through the nose.
  • BlackCoffeeBabe
    BlackCoffeeBabe Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Annoyingly I get an allergic response from running, no matter what the weather or the pollen situation etc!
    I generally just put up with it- if it gets really bad I take an antihistamine. It reduces as I increase my tolerance for exercise x
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I FINALLY found a solution to my madness....I didn't know I had allergies I was just thinking I kept getting colds. Anyway. I shoot this stuff up my nose daily...two pumps each side....I believe it's Flonase and I take a Zyrtec daily....it does the trick and works WONDERS :)
  • helengains
    helengains Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Awesome
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Have you tried nasal strips, like Breathe Right, etc? They can help a lot more air get in through the nose.

unfortunately I'm allergic the adhesive they use. I had never tried them for running, just for sleeping. It wasn't a pretty picture at all
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Nasal antihistamine spray, eye drops, carry my ventolin, and keep my eye on pollen count and approaching thunderstorms.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

unfortunately I'm allergic the adhesive they use.

If you have bandages that you're not allergic to, you can make your own nasal strips. Just cut a small strip of curved plastic from a margarine container, etc (approx. 3 cm x 1 cm). Place the plastic bending away from your nose, not toward it, so it spreads your nostrils open. :+1: