Homemade food

Options
Most of the food I eat is homemade, even the cheese is made from the milk of my family's own cows. How do you calculate calories for that? Do you actually calculate how much cheese it takes to raise the temperature of water?

Replies

• LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    why does cheese raise the temperature of water? for what? help! I am confused...:blushing:
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Most of the food I eat is homemade, even the cheese is made from the milk of my family's own cows. How do you calculate calories for that? Do you actually calculate how much cheese it takes to raise the temperature of water?

If it were me, I would find the info on several comparable types of cheese and average their values.
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I add in all my own recipes and as for things like your homemade cheese I would suggest finding a comparable commercial cheese and use it as a stand in for your homemade cheese info wise.
  • yeya29
    yeya29 Posts: 16
    Options
    Sounds like a lot of math, lol. But I guess I have to do what I have to do.
  • xcbballuver
    Options
    why does cheese raise the temperature of water? for what? help! I am confused...:blushing:

chemistry. calories are measured by how many degrees the food raises the temperature of water.
  • yeya29
    Options
    The water thing was just a bad physics joke :)
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Kudos! I think the quality of the food matters more than the number of calories in it, and you're doing a great job of ensuring quality by raising your own. What kind of cows do you have? I hope I can have a little Jersey of my own someday! For now I buy whole, raw milk from farmers in Pennsylvania.
  • piperjon
    piperjon Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    The water thing was just a bad physics joke :)

Yeah it really "bombed." (As in: bomb calorimiter... you know, the thing you use to measure the change in water temperature by selective destruction and incineration of various substances thereby determining it's caloric value? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorimeter#Bomb_calorimeters ?)

*crickets chirping*

Man, tough crowd...
  • yeya29
    Options
    I'm not sure what kind of cows they are, they belong to my aunt and uncle and they sell me the delicious cheese they make. And yes, I try to stay as far from processed food as possible. Health comes before everything :)