Maintenance hacks

Options
Hi folks,

I lost weight during winter/spring 2017 for about the 10th time and I'm working to keep it off rather than go through the whole danged thing in 2018 with as little effort as possible. I'm looking for hacks (shortcuts and habits, reallu) to make it easier. Here are a few I already do:

- Weigh every morning before dressing. Accept that my weight varies by up to 5 lbs.
- Develop a set of standard meals and recipes that I save on mfp. Many people don't use these features. (I only started recently)
- Pack my lunch and snacks for work nearly every day. keep an emergency snack for when I get really hungry (I like kind bars).
- Exercise at lunch a few days a week. Eat afterwards.
- Eat a home cooked dinner rather than take-out most days. I do more of the cooking and shopping than ever.
- Pick some small treats for after dinner. For me, it's some nuts, dark chocolate, and dried fruit.
- Have a fantastc meal or take-out once a week. Log it as a "quick add" that I make up on the spot
- Keep exercising and trying out new activities whenever possible. Don't get stuck in a rut.
- Limit alcohol to special occasions (right now, I'm avoiding it entirely)

So far, it's working. I find the fall months the most challenging as I transition to indoor activities. Maybe I can get to January without a jump in weight this time!

Replies

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    for me the biggest hack is to limit snacking. I can plan 5 meals a day to keep me satisfied, and stay in my target range. Snacking blindly for the sake of snacking always leads me away from where I want to be. Especially late at night. I am not even hungry, just eating out of habit and boredom. When I am really in the mood to kick things into overdrive, I eliminate all food after 7pm.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    OP-yours is a great list and there are some good additions here. Stick to your list and you'll do great. I also agree that getting quality sleep is crucial to success. Being overly tired inevitably leads to snacking beyond ones calories goal.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with getting consistent sleep! It's very synergistic with exercise, and limiting alcohol.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Hi folks,

I lost weight during winter/spring 2017 for about the 10th time and I'm working to keep it off rather than go through the whole danged thing in 2018 with as little effort as possible. I'm looking for hacks (shortcuts and habits, reallu) to make it easier. Here are a few I already do:

- Weigh every morning before dressing. Accept that my weight varies by up to 5 lbs.
    - Develop a set of standard meals and recipes that I save on mfp. Many people don't use these features. (I only started recently)
    - Pack my lunch and snacks for work nearly every day. keep an emergency snack for when I get really hungry (I like kind bars).
    - Exercise at lunch a few days a week. Eat afterwards.
    - Eat a home cooked dinner rather than take-out most days. I do more of the cooking and shopping than ever.
    - Pick some small treats for after dinner. For me, it's some nuts, dark chocolate, and dried fruit.
    - Have a fantastc meal or take-out once a week. Log it as a "quick add" that I make up on the spot
    - Keep exercising and trying out new activities whenever possible. Don't get stuck in a rut.
    - Limit alcohol to special occasions (right now, I'm avoiding it entirely)

So far, it's working. I find the fall months the most challenging as I transition to indoor activities. Maybe I can get to January without a jump in weight this time!

Sounds like a good plan, OP. Also good suggestions from others, especially one with not so favorite snacks. I tend to save that for my after dinner special treats. My question to you is though, have you figured out the reasons that you have regained in the past? I would think, that if there is some similar causes, you should pay close attention to them. I would list the portion control and not going back to the way i was eating as most important. Those were my mistakes. And i think if you stick to your plan, you'll be good. Good luck, op.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    edited October 2017
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    My question to you is though, have you figured out the reasons that you have regained in the past?

Mainly: Over-eating! Drinking beer and wine on weekdays is also a culprit.

I have a difficult time transitioning off of my summer routine in the fall. My goal this year is to get into some cold weather activities, including cross country skiing and winter hiking, and to keep swimming a couple of days a week.
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I struggled with winter vs summer last year. I feel better prepared and hope to avoid it this year.

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Bookmarked for future ref. Great tips.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Loving this thread! So motivating and helpful!
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    for me the biggest hack is to limit snacking. I can plan 5 meals a day to keep me satisfied, and stay in my target range. Snacking blindly for the sake of snacking always leads me away from where I want to be. Especially late at night. I am not even hungry, just eating out of habit and boredom. When I am really in the mood to kick things into overdrive, I eliminate all food after 7pm.

Snacking is my downfall, also. I agree that it's just a habit that I had for years at night. I'd be doing school work or watching tv, and I'd eat chips or whatever. I've even gone to bed early when I've caught myself in that mood. The last time or so, I've made myself go log it in before giving into it and that has stopped me..looking at the reality of what I'm about to do. Also, I go make a cup of coffee and drink that first. Anything to keep from giving in to an extra meaningless snack. I have planned snacks so it's not hunger.

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    HappyGrape wrote: »
    I struggled with winter vs summer last year. I feel better prepared and hope to avoid it this year.

Avoiding winter entirely is an interesting approach. I like it! I aspire to be a snowbird someday. :p
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    Mindless snacking is probably the biggest diet killer of all. You just have to train yourself out of it. The hardest time in my life was when we had toddlers who eat little bits of food all day long. But, now I have teens who insist we stock potato chips and ice cream. Anyway, you gotta clamp down on that sh1t if you want to maintain your weight!

(If you go over at night, one thing you can do is to skip or skimp on breakfast the day after.)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,189 Member
    Options
    I have less exercise volume in Winter than summer, too, and a bit lower NEAT (because of minor outdoor chores and non-exercise recreation in Summer that burn a few more calories than Winter ones). As long as the food consumption shrinks along with the activity, everything is fine.

But this is easy for me to say: I still log food and exercise in maintenance, so much of the needed adjustment is obvious.
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    HappyGrape wrote: »

Avoiding winter entirely is an interesting approach. I like it! I aspire to be a snowbird someday. :p

Yes, I packed my bags for Florida!

Haha, sorry no I meant weight gain. I gained little last winter, I feel I am ready to approach winter slightly different this year. Until I have the funds and no home commitment so I can flee to Florida
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    My question to you is though, have you figured out the reasons that you have regained in the past?

Mainly: Over-eating! Drinking beer and wine on weekdays is also a culprit.

I have a difficult time transitioning off of my summer routine in the fall. My goal this year is to get into some cold weather activities, including cross country skiing and winter hiking, and to keep swimming a couple of days a week.

Part of the reason I tend to gain in winter is doing about 10 hours of cycling less in the cold months - those c. 5000 calories a month plus being generally less active does tilt the balance.

This year I'm planning on losing a few pounds before Christmas (as opposed to my normal routine of having to lose a few pounds in Spring) and also my first winter being retired should give me a higher chance of catching those days when my hands and feet can tolerate the temperature.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I've learned over the years that 3 meals + 2 snacks works best for me.
    Knowing I have planned snacks stops me craving "bad" snacks and office treats. It also helps me keep my blood sugar steady as I often used to have a big crash around the time I left work, which left me feeling nauseous on my commute home, which was no fun at all.
    I make sure I have a good supply of my regular snacks in the house, and remember to take them to work with me every day.

I also try really hard to control my breakfast.
    It's not too hard to fit a latte and a pastry into my daily calories, but it does mess up my macros and doesn't satisfy me as much as if I bother to make a super smoothie type thing.
    I'm ok at making decent choices for lunch and dinner, but a shoddy breakfast can put me on the edge of derailment for the day if I'm not careful.

Also, I try really hard to log EVERYTHING. (No, I haven't finished logging this weekend yet... it was bad, I know it was bad, and I'll face up to it at some point this week!)
    That way I have no excuse for my outcomes, and at least I know how much damage I've done.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    @cs2thecox: You haven't finished logging the weekend yet? I've been there, but at some point it's time to move on. I'll quick-add a bunch of calories (e.g., 1000) any time I'm unsure.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    @cs2thecox: You haven't finished logging the weekend yet? I've been there, but at some point it's time to move on. I'll quick-add a bunch of calories (e.g., 1000) any time I'm unsure.

Ha, I'm most of the way there. I need to add a pulled pork bun from Saturday evening and then Sunday lunch, which will be complicated.
    Might not be a conventional approach but works for me...

I mostly do it because my trainer has access to my MFP, and I'd rather just be completely honest with him so he can do his job as well as he can!