Calling all college students!

Options
I'd like to get a group of us college kids together to help keep each other motivated and on track during this upcoming school year. I personally can't wait to get back to school and utilize the miles of running trails and really nice (free!) gym on campus. But I also know that the stress of classes and social life and work all combined will make it hard to stay motivated. Plus, eating healthy out of a dining hall/cafeteria (or mini-fridge and microwave) is a serious challenge.

Is anyone interested?

Replies

• HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Even though I'm living at home while in college it's still incredibly tough to keep on track; I gained 35 pounds during the past 2 school years! The pattern ends here!
  • leonardk09
    leonardk09 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    YES! I'll be living in my sorority's house this year, with a kitchen, but it still sucks eat with frat dudes. I need the motivation, haha.
  • Anoble17
    Anoble17 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm in as well. I live in my own apartment but I'm an engineering student so the stress of school work has kept me from the gym before.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I'm a non-traditional college student (mother of 3, almost 4, married, etc), but I deal with a lot of the same issues. I'd love to join in!
  • ari_27
    ari_27 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This sounds really interesting! I'm a 2nd year advertising student, and I'll be living in an apt with 3 other girls this year, I just want to stay motivated :)
  • madinasmile
    Options
    totally in! it's so hard to stay focused at school on food with everything else going on
  • garrettnicole92
    Options
    Awesome! I'm so glad to see so much interest. I've never ran a group before though ... so bear with me a little bit, please!

I'm a pre-law student, living on campus with one room mate. There's a community kitchen on our hall, and I only get five meals a week in the dining hall, so I'm going to be doing a lot of "cooking" (if you can even call it that). I gained over 15lbs my first year at school, and this summer I've worked to lose 10lbs ... but I'm terrified of it all coming back.

I'd love for us to share ideas for healthy meals and snacks, ideas for working out at school, stuff like that. Heck, we can even vent about our class/homework load, friends, whatever we need to.
  • AnnabelLeigh
    Options
    I'm interested! :) I'm going into my second year. I'll be living off-campus w/ 4 friends. I want to cook healthy meals and go to the gym regularly throughout the school year.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I'm so glad to see so much interest. I've never ran a group before though ... so bear with me a little bit, please!

I'm in another group, too, and what works well for us is to start a new thread every month, with a link at the end of the last month's thread so it's easy to find. Whoever does the first post of a month (or a roll-over if you hit 20 pages) should give a brief description fo the goals of the group, ie We're college students looking to build healthy eating habits and get/stay in shape.
    And coming up with a catchy name is nice, but not super important. Just something that gives a good indication of what the group is about.

I think you've got a great idea here. Run with it!
  • MoreLikeAPanda
    Options
    I'm also a college student! Well, I will be one in a month. Haha.
    I guess this means we're improving our minds and our bodies. :)
  • BeautyFromWithin
    BeautyFromWithin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Count me in!

I was just thinking about making a thread like this one, glad I found this first!

I'm 19 years old and going into my sophomore year of college! I need a support system and group of other college students to help me keep on track with my busy schedule and finding time to exercise and having the motivation to continue eating healthy!

Please add me as a friend and I'm totally up for group threads every month.. I'll be an active member! Let me know if I can help organize anything or such!
  • hazycosmicjive
    hazycosmicjive Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    hey i'd love to join as well! i'm 18 & going to be a sophomore majoring in molec bio. i wanna lose around 20-30 lbs & a support group sounds awesome as i totally need the motivation sometimes haha!

i'm new to the site so please add me! :)
  • apricot_annie
    apricot_annie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yes please! I'm starting my second degree and hoping to be MUCH healthier than I was during the first...
  • garrettnicole92
    Options
    Count me in!

I was just thinking about making a thread like this one, glad I found this first!

I'm 19 years old and going into my sophomore year of college! I need a support system and group of other college students to help me keep on track with my busy schedule and finding time to exercise and having the motivation to continue eating healthy!

Please add me as a friend and I'm totally up for group threads every month.. I'll be an active member! Let me know if I can help organize anything or such!

We sound like we have a lot in common (I have a Spanish minor too!) I'd love for you to help out with organizing and stuff. I'm not really sure what the "first step" should be. Haha.
  • theygowild
    Options
    I NEED some support too! I know we are young, but losing weight in college is hard.
    I'm a junior journalism major who works for residence life (meaning all of my meals are in the almost always unhealthy dining hall.) I'm up for supporting others, as long as they hold me accountable. We can reach healthy together!
  • WWH_AJ
    WWH_AJ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I NEED some support too! I know we are young, but losing weight in college is hard.
    I'm a junior journalism major who works for residence life (meaning all of my meals are in the almost always unhealthy dining hall.) I'm up for supporting others, as long as they hold me accountable. We can reach healthy together!

I was a double major English and Journalism until they cut my Journalism degree, so now I have 15 hrs left of English and decided to major in Bio/Vet Tech as well, which makes me a 2nd year senior when the semester starts back! I have been counting down the days until I can get back into the gym for free!
  • leslyta
    leslyta Posts: 70
    Options
    I'm sooo in.. It's not just eating right, but I usually hang out with my friends at night, and usually end up drinking. Alcohol has sooo many calories, its crazy! Plus i work at a sushi bar now so that's not gonna help much when I have less time to cook some healthy food and have school and work!!
  • pumpkinmoccasin
    Options
    Totally interested :) I love having MFP friends around my own age
  • chelsea32291
    Options
    i'd love to join! I'm no longer living on a campus, but it doesn't mean it's still not a struggle. I'm 20 and going into my junior year of college, majoring in elementary education. :)