Exercise problems

Options
I'm 5'6", 247 lbs, 72 years old. I've had 5 back surgeries and am in constant pain due to ruptured discs throughout my neck and mid-lower back. I also have Fibromyalgia which flares up at times. I used to be very active at my YMCA and walking 3 to 5 miles daily for years. I find I cannot do that much in the last few years(since my last spinal fusion). Slowly I've added so much weight and dislike the me in my mirror. Oh, my diabetes seems to be fighting my weight-loss attempts. Using MY Fitness Pal gives me a place to record everything I put in my mouth, I love this! I cannot rationalize a cookie or an ice cream bar. I add it all up counting my turtle-paced cleaning and picking up this 8 room home.
I've married almost 52 years and gave birth to three girls who, in turn, have added five granddaughters to our clan. My second daughter, her husband, and 5-year-old daughter just arrived today from Nepal where they live. They will be living with us for three weeks this year. Our other two daughters live within twenty minutes of our home.
Okay, enough is enough! Write back if you have suggestions relative to getting this weight to move... Thanks in advance.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It sounds as if you need to be one of the food-only losers of weight. Are you ambulatory at all?
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Swimming may be your only possible excersize with all of those problems. You could ask your doctor of yhetr is an underwater gym near you
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Can you use a stationary bike? That's what I use when I have knee issues and lupus flares. Being able to adjust the intensity is good.

Also, how is your diabetes controlled? Are you on any meds? I found that when I got off glimeperide my weight loss dramatically increased. Metformin on the other hand makes it easier to lose weight.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Maybe try one of the portable pedal exercisers? Do some research though to find a sturdy reliable one used for physical therapy.
    Like this: https://amazon.com/dp/B00W46YILA?psc=1

My mom has mobility issues (severe arthritis) and the senior center near her has a heated pool that is the only way she can really exercise. Some hospitals are affiliated with centers like that, you may want to call them if you're unaware of a therapy pool in your area.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have a bad knee that doesn't always allow me to walk a lot. If you can use a recumbent stationary bike without back pain I would recommend that. I picked one up at Walmart for $250 recently. You'll need someone to help put it together. Buy the service plan if you get the one from Walmart, it's cheap and there's only a 90 day warranty on the bike.

Swimming or just walking in the pool is a good exercise too. Call a local physical therapy office and see if they know of any places with a heated therpy pool that non patients can use. My gym is attached to a PT place, with such a pool, but not everywhere is so lucky.
  • Rooskie73
    Rooskie73 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics was something that I was able to do with my back issues several years ago. The recumbent stationary bike was also something else that I was able to do. Good luck!!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    You can create a calorie deficit by eating fewer calories, burning more calories, or some combination of the two. So even if you aren’t able to exercise, you can still lose weight by eating fewer calories than your body burns. Even if your weight loss seems slow, that’s still a success.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Read the Helpful Posts to learn about using MFP to lose weight sustainably.

Exercise is great for your health, but losing weight is all about eating less calories than you burn. Some people gain weight training for a marathon!
  • franniwi
    franniwi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Consider a ketogenic diet. It is anti-inflammatory, which should help. You tend to lose without all the exercise, because it's fast-mimicking.