after dinner sugar cravings

Options
Does anyone else have issues with after dinner sugar cravings. I do really well all day and then after dinner I crave sweets. I caved tonight and ate some of my homemade buttercream frosting on top of homemade sugar cookies. Can't get any sweeter then that right? It put me over in my calories. I don't want to deprive my kids of an occasional homemade treat...so what do I do?

Replies

• sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    Skinny cow ice cream is the best! 150-170 calories per container
  • GypsyRose25
    Options
    I would lower your calorie intake through out the day so you have some set aside for when you feel the sugar craving. You don't have to deny yourself, so if you make a calorie allowance for it you should, at least, be okay.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Keep candy around for when you have cravings or chocolate or something. Just for you and still keep the occasional treats for the kidlets around.
  • amberleebrock
    Options
    I get sugar craving lots!!! I I buy werthers original sugar free and campino sugar free hard candies too. They taste great and fool me into getting my sugar fix!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i 'plan' for everything...and most evenings i have a couple of cookie and a couple of squares of dark chocolate *S*

no cravings.. since i make it all fit into my plan every day.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Skinny cow ice cream is the best! 150-170 calories per container

The skinny cow caramel truffle ice cream bar is THE BOMB - and it's only 100 calories!
  • IslandHopperKW
    IslandHopperKW Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been eating those sugar-free Jello puddings lately in the evening when I'm hungry for something sweet. They have a bunch of satisfying flavors. And drink tons of water so you feel full.
  • kkova811
    kkova811 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I sometimes opt for a vanilla yogurt or some fruit, or my favorite is 100 calorie packs of cookies that taste good and dont break the calorie bank!
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I plan for it too. I've gotten into the habit of having something sweet most every night, which is probably a big reason I'm at the weight that I am. Now I've just made better choices. Skinny Cows are great, and I enjoy the sugar-free Hunt's pudding cups.
  • CavewomanCoby
    CavewomanCoby Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I like dark chocolate (at least 85% Cocoa/Cacao). You don't have to feel guilty (because it's a superfood and quite good for you) and it should help with your cravings. Good luck :)
  • thirteenways
    Options
    Most popsicles are in the 30-50 calorie range. If you crave candy, most hard candies offer a good bang for your calorie buck because they last a while. You can have 9 Gobstoppers for 60 calories, 3 Jolly Ranchers for 50, or 3 Werther's originals for 50.
  • ♚SuperHeather♚
    Options
    Yoplait 100 calorie Parfaits are to die for!
  • daniellerp
    Options
    I am sooooo with you on this issue!!! Sugar cookies and buttercream frosting sound amazing! Night time is the worst, watching TV, relaxing, thinking of something sweet to eat :\
    I think that allowing yourself this type of treat every once in a while is a big YES. If you deny yourself completely it's a recipe for self sabotage.
    I read a post on here a couple weeks ago where a lady who had lost over 100 pounds stated that she still eats whatever she wants but if it's junk food she just has it in moderation. It really opened my eyes to the fact that weight loss doesn't have to be such a battle the way I often picture it to be.
  • lunaephiliac
    Options
    believe it or not, a big glass of cold milk satisfies that craving fast. it makes you feel really full and gives you plenty of calcium too!
  • MalTru
    MalTru Posts: 37
    Options
    I always try to save some calories for a post dinner snack/dessert. During the summer, I tend to have popsicles- I love Edy's Real Fruit bars, especially lime or pineapple, both of which are only 80 calories. Sometimes, in lieu of ice cream, I'll take the low fat whipped cream that comes in a container (not the spray kind) and have a scoop of with some kind of fruit (strawberries, cherries, pineapple chunks, etc).
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I love a sweet dessert, so I pretty much always have one. Here are my low-cal faves:

So Delicious Mint (Soy) Ice Cream Sandwiches (non-dairy 100 cals)
    So Delicious Coconut Milk Ice Cream Sandwiches (non-dairy 100 cals)
    Skinny Cow Caramel Truffle Bars (dairy - 100 cals)
    2 T. PB2 (powdered peanut butter) mixed with 1/2 cup plain soy yogurt (tastes like PB pudding)!

I think there is nothing wrong with eating a sweet after dinner. Works for me, and I'm almost to goal.

blessings.
  • bellamia88
    bellamia88 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I've been like that too. I can go the day eating so well and then comes after dinner i'm raiding the cupboards for sweets and the urge is so powerful I will even go out and buy some if I have too. I always make sure to leave extra calories just incase and I will have a rice crispie treat 90 calories I can have two. Hasn't hindered my progress at all so why not treat myself.
  • sveltelady
    sveltelady Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am totally with all of you on this, I am a sugar junkie so now that I am back working on this I need to detox myself from sugar. I keep some protein bars around that help make me at least feel like I am eating a candy bar and they are usually about 140-160 calories. I also have these orange cream pops that are the Aldis brand and they are 100 calories and made with skim milk.

As long as I have these things around with sugar free pudding or jello, I tend to stay on track. Cookies are a totally different beast to me and I have absolutely no ability to say no. I hope in time that gets better..

Thanks for the topic!!:smile:
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Definitely with you on this. I used to have ice cream many nights. Tonight I just had about 4 Rainier Cherries. I too keep dark chocolate squares around. I find the problem with sugar is it is hard to stop. The squares are not too sweet and I do not have that problem with them. Not only do they answer this issue for me they are low calorie and dark chocolate is good for you. I too try to leave some calories when I think I will need it.
  • tanyamelliott
    Options
    I totally have this problem too!! At least today, it's really bad! I ate 3 oatmeal cookies through out the day an now all I want is ice cream...there isn't any:( but normally I'd let myself have a scoop, or a scoop of arctic zero with whipped cream and fresh cut strawberries an blueberries! Yum!!! I recently discovered arctic zero and I think it's 150 calories a PINT!