Always at 1200cals?!

Options
Hello,
At 168cm and 65.5kg I am in the healthy range, but would like to slim down a bit to fit into my pants again. No matter if I set my weekly loss to 0.25kg or 1kg - the projected calories always stay at 1200. What's going on?
Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Because 1200 is the minimum. You can't set it lower. At your lower weight there's only so much deficit you can create - thus the 1200 is what you get no matter your goal - you don't have enough to lose to set a high goal. It is going to be a slow loss with as little as you have to lose.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hmmmm, how old are you? I am also 168cm and around the same weight. Set to 0.5kg I get the measly 1200, set to 0.25 I get 1344. If you're more than a couple of years older than me I'm 45), that will be why it keeps giving you 1200 no matter what (you tend to lose around 50 cal per year with MFP).

If, like me, the thought of eating 1200 cals is abhorrent, find ways to increase your NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis - ie move about more), or increase your exercise.

With not much to lose, you should be aiming for 0.25kg per week.
  • shroodle88
    shroodle88 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks, REady2Rock & Nony_Mouse! I'm 42 years old, so we are quite similar. I understand that I won't have much room to play with, but from experience 1200cals is too hard in the long run. So, I thought I'd go slower and was surprised to find the numbers remained the same. I top it up with exercise, but can't exercise everyday, so was looking for a less rigid food plan.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    shroodle88 wrote: »
    Thanks, REady2Rock & Nony_Mouse! I'm 42 years old, so we are quite similar. I understand that I won't have much room to play with, but from experience 1200cals is too hard in the long run. So, I thought I'd go slower and was surprised to find the numbers remained the same. I top it up with exercise, but can't exercise everyday, so was looking for a less rigid food plan.

Hmmmm (again). Really odd that it gives me the little extra, and not you, given that I'm a few years older (I have MFP set to sedentary and just have my Fitbit send over the info for steps etc). I changed it to 0.25kg per week last Monday, weighed 65.3kg.

What you can do if you can't exercise every day is average those exercise calories out across the week, so you have the extra calories to play with each day.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I ran into the same thing. To lose a pound a week, I was given 1200 calories. To lose .5 I was given 1240. Maintenance was supposedly 1470. Fortunately, I exercise a lot, so I was able to lose weight and maintain it while eating 2000+ every day.