Fairly new to strength training

Options
I was a dancer for 18 years (started when I was 2 ended when I was 20). I'm now 22 and I've noticed a significant change in my muscle mass. I never realized how toned dancing actually made me and because of that I never really felt the need to strength train. I weigh 148lbs at 5'5, which isn't my goal weight but I believe I need to start picking up the weights and begin toning up and gaining strength again. I just don't know where to start! If anyone has any tips or program recommendations for a beginner I will gladly accept them. Anything helps!

Replies

• ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a full gym? I strongly recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women. The book explains everything and the program is progressive and focused on major lifts with heavy weights, which are the most important points!
  • maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a full gym? I strongly recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women. The book explains everything and the program is progressive and focused on major lifts with heavy weights, which are the most important points!

I currently don't belong to a gym but that could change! I've been holding off because I was unsure how often I'd get my use out of it but I think I should just bite the bullet and sign up. Thanks for the book reco! I'll have to check it out
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend googling Nia Shanks and purchasing one of her e-books. I started there, and return to her programs repeatedly, even after years of lifting.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    You can also start with bodyweight training at home.

This thread includes recommendations for at home workouts: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Also recommend yoga. Obviously you're not going to make massive gains in terms of muscle growth, but it is an awesome strengthener.