Women only: do you gain weight before your period?

HDove92
HDove92 Posts: 27 Member
edited October 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all I'm just wondering if its just me or if its normal to gain 1 or 2 pounds the week before your period? I seem to gain and lose a week after I'm done. If this does happen any tips to prevent it that you know of? Thank you!!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    edited October 2017
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,218 Member
    Yes but why are you trying to prevent it? It is a normal bodily function. You want your health to be as "ordinary" as possible.
  • HDove92
    I didn't know it was normal and thought it was just me eating more the week before that's why I was asking thanks for the thread
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    I'm not a woman, but my wife said that every month when she used to have periods. Looks like that's perfectly normal.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    I am really surprised every time a woman posts that she doesn't know that this is normal. We need to do a better job of being educated about our bodies. Girls usually start getting periods between ages 9 and 13 and the average age of menopause is 51. That's a good 40 years of menstrual cycles. Take the time to learn what is going on with your body, if you don't know already. And if you have a daughter, make sure she understands it as well.

My daughter is 10 and we've been discussing this stuff for half of her life already. She's comfortable asking both me and my husband/her dad about it. It's not embarrassing, it's not gross. It's your body. Understand it.

Was just going to say the exact same thing. Like, how do people not notice blowing up like a wee balloon every month (or twice a month in some cases)? I understand that many people possibly don't weigh themselves regularly until they start trying to lose weight, but there are physical signs (the lacing of my Chuck Taylors is a dead giveaway for me, along with chubby fingers and a puffy belly). Though I guess maybe a kilo or two of water weight isn't so obvious if you're carrying a lot of extra weight?
  • rawrrgenn
    rawrrgenn Posts: 118 Member
    Yes, it happens. I gain about 3lbs at onset and lose that one or two days after it's over
  • Nony_Mouse
    Be thankful you only "gain" 1-2lbs every month, some women can put on 6-7lbs :open_mouth:

My standard 1 kg is bad enough. I can't even imagine how ridiculous I'd look with 3-3.5 kg!
  • HDove92
    I am really surprised every time a woman posts that she doesn't know that this is normal. We need to do a better job of being educated about our bodies. Girls usually start getting periods between ages 9 and 13 and the average age of menopause is 51. That's a good 40 years of menstrual cycles. Take the time to learn what is going on with your body, if you don't know already. And if you have a daughter, make sure she understands it as well.

My daughter is 10 and we've been discussing this stuff for half of her life already. She's comfortable asking both me and my husband/her dad about it. It's not embarrassing, it's not gross. It's your body. Understand it.

I think it depends on the parents you have growing up. My parents are old school and never discussed period anything with me and losing weight was out of the question. I'm only 23 and just now am I really understanding how to lose weight and actually weighing myself.I know perfectly well the body is nothing to be emberrased about or gross. And no I dont have a daughter unfortunately she passed away but if I ever do have another one I will make sure to educate her thanks.
  • HDove92
    edited October 2017
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Was just going to say the exact same thing. Like, how do people not notice blowing up like a wee balloon every month (or twice a month in some cases)? I understand that many people possibly don't weigh themselves regularly until they start trying to lose weight, but there are physical signs (the lacing of my Chuck Taylors is a dead giveaway for me, along with chubby fingers and a puffy belly). Though I guess maybe a kilo or two of water weight isn't so obvious if you're carrying a lot of extra weight?

Gaining 1 or 2 lbs is not that obvious in my opinion but I guess the shape of the body matters and every woman expierences pms differently I only know because I weigh myself.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    I can gain up to 10lb at ovulation and right before my period
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    hpaloma92 wrote: »

I think it depends on the parents you have growing up. My parents are old school and never discussed period anything with me and losing weight was out of the question. I'm only 23 and just now am I really understanding how to lose weight and actually weighing myself.I know perfectly well the body is nothing to be emberrased about or gross. And no I dont have a daughter unfortunately she passed away but if I ever do have another one I will make sure to educate her thanks.

I'm very sorry to read that your daughter passed away. Losing a child is a terrible thing.

I agree that growing up with parents who do not discuss this stuff can be limiting. We are fortunate to have so many resources online now. I can remember my mom leaving a book on my bed and telling me to read it but not really discussing it at all. Thank goodness for my older sister :)
  • Nony_Mouse
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    I can gain up to 10lb at ovulation and right before my period

OMG you poor thing :( That's gotta be all kinds of uncomfortable. I will stop whining about my 1 kg.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Be thankful you only "gain" 1-2lbs every month, some women can put on 6-7lbs :open_mouth:

My standard 1 kg is bad enough. I can't even imagine how ridiculous I'd look with 3-3.5 kg!

I can be anywhere between the those 2 weights, and some months i don't see a gain at all. My body loves surprising me :confounded: I just don't bother weighing the week before anymore, it's too higgelty piggelty!!
  • Nony_Mouse

I can be anywhere between the those 2 weights, and some months i don't see a gain at all. My body loves surprising me :confounded: I just don't bother weighing the week before anymore, it's too higgelty piggelty!!

My body has taken to pinging up its kg a full week before both ovulation and TOM and then just sitting there. I could probably blow it up a bit more with sodium, but so not gonna try that!
  • mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member
    Definitely, l do
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member

Or the alternative - if you get water retention all the time like me so no, I have never noticed any specific water retention before or during my period. I'm not overweight (5'6", 120 lbs) but edema's always been a problem for me and I get it a lot e.g. day after eating out, during hiking, on the plane etc. In fact, I actually learnt about weight gain during periods via this forum!
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Oddly, I weigh my lowest in the days leading up to my period. I have for years.
  • Nony_Mouse
    maybyn wrote: »

Or the alternative - if you get water retention all the time like me so no, I have never noticed any specific water retention before or during my period. I'm not overweight (5'6", 120 lbs) but edema's always been a problem for me and I get it a lot e.g. day after eating out, during hiking, on the plane etc. In fact, I actually learnt about weight gain during periods via this forum!

I am also the queen of water retention, but I can absolutely tell when I'm retaining (and can usually pinpoint the culprit).