>50lbs - How much and how long?

Options
2»

Replies

• EsmeMary101
    EsmeMary101 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I lost 44lbs since Feb. So that's 8 months but I had list the first 40 lbs in about 5 months. I seem to be making hard work of the last 10lb. My goal is 50lbs. I just count my calories and try to do as much exercise as I can.

Good luck
  • getoffin1year
    getoffin1year Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    In the last 10 months I have lost 85lbs. No special diet, just kept a 1000 cal deficit and walked A LOT. Good luck
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    For myself I lost 80 lb in eight months and I've been maintaining that for over a year. Started at 288 my current weight is about 208 give or take.

I set a goal of two pounds a week and it seemed to work out pretty well. Actually worked out to about 10 lbs a month.

I follow no specific diet. Eat whatever I want, never restricted anything. My only suggestion to you is if you want to eat a certain diet is it sustainable for the rest of your life because if it's not sustainable for the rest of your life you're not going to succeed. I still eat Wendy's hamburgers pizza and beers on the beach. If I had to give those up I could have never done it and I could never maintain this weight loss for over a year
  • packedwgrace50
    packedwgrace50 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A409302 wrote: »
    I’ve lost 30 lbs in 6 months. I did 1200 calories and stopped losing any weight for about a month after about two months. I decided then to cut back food to 900 calories a day for two months. The weight fell off. I started two years ago using this app and took too many breaks. I weighed myself and decided to stop cheating. I started at 164 lbs and weigh 128 now. I am 5’6” medium frame. I feel really happy now. Advice is when you plateau, lower the calorie intake and drink lots of water. You get used to it. Once you’re at your best weight, go back to 1200 calories and take a break on the weekend for a treat every couple of weekends. But get right back on your food habit. I don’t mind eating the same food every day. Breakfast is 3/4 cup cooked Oatmeal with a tablespoon of raisins and 1/2 cup of blueberries. Lunch is a small salad with 3 oz. chicken, and only red wine vinegar and 1/4 cup of strawberries. And supper is 3 cups of strawberries, one cup of blueberries with two small containers of strawberry and blueberry Danon light activia yogurt with three mini Reece’s peanut butter cups. Sometimes even two chocolate cookies. That’s how I did it. I’m in a size 3 juniors pants or size 4 women’s pants and small size tops or sweaters. This doesn’t work for everyone, but like I said, I can eat the same thing all the time and it works. I walk about 3 1/2 to 4 miles a day. Good luck to you. You can do it! By the way I am 56 years old. Weigh yourself everyday in the morning for incentive.

This is what I've been looking for, someone in their 50's!
    I have been battling weight for a few years Now. My husband developed cancer 2011, after that I started putting on the weight.. ugh!
    We battled his cancer, to have it return in 2016. I put on more weight.
    I am premenopausal stage, I guess you call it., lol. Hot flashes, every three months menustration. AND, the can't loose as fast, metabolism basically gone.
    Me and my husband have been walking alot, he is cancer free right now
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    A409302 wrote: »
    I’ve lost 30 lbs in 6 months. I did 1200 calories and stopped losing any weight for about a month after about two months. I decided then to cut back food to 900 calories a day for two months. The weight fell off. I started two years ago using this app and took too many breaks. I weighed myself and decided to stop cheating. I started at 164 lbs and weigh 128 now. I am 5’6” medium frame. I feel really happy now. Advice is when you plateau, lower the calorie intake and drink lots of water. You get used to it. Once you’re at your best weight, go back to 1200 calories and take a break on the weekend for a treat every couple of weekends. But get right back on your food habit. I don’t mind eating the same food every day. Breakfast is 3/4 cup cooked Oatmeal with a tablespoon of raisins and 1/2 cup of blueberries. Lunch is a small salad with 3 oz. chicken, and only red wine vinegar and 1/4 cup of strawberries. And supper is 3 cups of strawberries, one cup of blueberries with two small containers of strawberry and blueberry Danon light activia yogurt with three mini Reece’s peanut butter cups. Sometimes even two chocolate cookies. That’s how I did it. I’m in a size 3 juniors pants or size 4 women’s pants and small size tops or sweaters. This doesn’t work for everyone, but like I said, I can eat the same thing all the time and it works. I walk about 3 1/2 to 4 miles a day. Good luck to you. You can do it! By the way I am 56 years old. Weigh yourself everyday in the morning for incentive.

I have been battling weight for a few years Now. My husband developed cancer 2011, after that I started putting on the weight.. ugh!
    I am premenopausal stage, I guess you call it., lol. Hot flashes, every three months menustration. AND, the can't loose as fast, metabolism basically gone.

Always remember balance from the food groups and everyone has something to offer from this forum. Some may be extreme and some offer balance. You can gather from others and discard as you go along or adopt for life.
    Slow as you go stays as your mind and body adjust together. Remember CICO!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options

Awesome that your husband is cancer-free, I hope that continues to be the case!

I just turned 52 and am also in perimenopause. It seems to affect people in different ways, but I've had no problems with losing weight as long as I try to be accurate with my logging and stick to my calorie goal to keep in deficit. I've been successfully maintaining for a while now, within a 2-3lb range, because I'm still logging and trying to stick to my goal. :)

It really is all about the calories - exercise helps, but mainly for health and fitness. Unless you're working out really hard and burning a lot of calories, it's easier for most people to create a deficit by reducing the amount they eat than by increasing the amount they exercise.

Honesty about how much you eat is important. What you eat isn't as important purely for weight loss, but may be helpful in reducing cravings or a tendency to overeat certain things (and of course for good nutrition). Don't fall into the trap that I was in for several years, of thinking that I must have a "slow metabolism" or be "eating the wrong things". Nope - I was just eating too much of everything! Once I started weighing my food and looking at how many calories certain snacks contained, I realised exactly how I'd managed to put on so much weight!

Plenty of people lose weight just fine eating whatever they fancy but being mindful of portion sizes. Others find they need to restrict some things to make life easier for themselves, but that's a choice each person has to make based on their own needs and not based on the latest woo that says a person MUST give up "x" because it's impossible to lose weight otherwise. :)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    zeldon919 wrote: »
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I set MFP to lose1# a month and did (mostly) exactly what it said. I ate well, but not perfectly on no specific plan. It took me a year to lose 50#, so pretty much dead on target at about 1800 cals

Is # lb or kg?

That would be pounds - and I'd guess that @nowine4me made a typo and meant 1lb per week rather than per month. :)

Oops yes, I meant #1 per week. So about a year to lose 50 and another year to lose #15 more. Goal for 2018 is the "last" 10. BTW - I'm 52 also.
  • millzy64
    millzy64 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs in about 7 months. No exercise regime, just CICO and tracked everything I ate.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!