What's your favorite veggie side dish?

Options
2»

Replies

• shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I'm looking forward to trying a lot of these! And yeah...bacon wrapped asparagus totally works, LOL.
  • lizmcvey
    lizmcvey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    my absolute favorite is roasted brussel sprouts. I put a little olive oil in a frying pan or wok and pepper, garlic, whatever spices you like and dump a bag of raw brussel sprouts in. It takes time to get them nice and roasted but it's worth the wait. Just keep rolling them around until the outside layer crisps up, a few will even peel off. They are so good with a nice piece of salmon or chicken....or anything really.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, green beans - they taste good to me with minimal seasoning.

My favorite is schezwan green beans. I could eat that as a main dish.
  • ColetteM6
    ColetteM6 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Roasted (acorn, butternut, spaghetti etc) squash.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Parmesan Garlic Roasted Broccoli. Or asparagus. Really any roasted vegetable is great but parmesan garlic is my favorite.
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    steamed broccoli

I love pretty much all veggies, but my go-to when I want something with a bit more punch is steamed broccoli with a tahini/lemon/garlic drizzle, maybe with toasted pine nuts on top. You don't need a lot of the drizzle or the pine nuts, and it's a very classy dish which takes very little time.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    To those suggesting avoiding any oil at all on veggies: You need some fat in the meal somewhere to metabolize the fat-soluble vitamins from the veggies. You also need some fat to pass the fiber smoothly through your digestive system and avoid constipation. Ignoring the veggies, you need fat in your food for proper hormone functioning.

Eat some fat! Olive oil, nuts, seeds and avocados are especially good and healthy sources

Back on topic: Winter squash or sweet potato soup is delicious. I like to puree in some navy or great northern beans to add thickness and protein, and some sunflower seeds or pepitas are also good, either pureed in or sprinkled on top. This is a great recipe, so yummy: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/252458/sweet-potato-peanut-bisque/

Sweet potato slices can also be used to make a bottom crust for as main-dish pie, such as a quiche, veggie/cheese mix, or veggie/meat. Here's an example recipe: http://www.cookinglight.com/food/vegetarian/sweet-potato-quiche-crust

You can use eggplant slices instead of pasta in a lasagna recipe, too.

If you like sweet peppers, cut the top off and stuff with your choice of other veggies, maybe some cooked quinoa or other grain, possibly some egg to hold it together, and bake until hot & tender.

Roast carrots with caraway seed and a little bit of apple cider vinegar in a baking dish.

Saute mushrooms, onions and garlic with greens. Collard greens, mustard greens, or kale are good sauteed briefly with onion and garlic and dressed with white wine vinegar, a dab of olive oil, and either a spoonful of prepared mustard or finely chopped fresh ginger (mix the oil/vinegar and mustard or ginger together before adding to greens).
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Roasted purple carrots are my absolute favorite! They are very sweet and super low cal.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Awesome, love some of these new ideas, thank you again!

I am really intrigued by the carrots with caraway seed - not a seasoning I usually use. Interested in checking it out.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    So many great ideas on this thread! Total veggie lover here. My favorite is sauteed greens of any kind (collard, beet, mustard, spinach). Other favorites include:

Baby bok choy and mushrooms sauteed in sesame oil with garlic, ginger and sherry

Shredded Brussel sprouts sauteed in bacon grease or olive oil with garlic and red pepper flake

Grape tomato halves, zucchini and fresh corn sauteed in olive oil with lots of fresh basil (make this so much in the summer time)

Roasted beets and butternut squash...add a little orange zest if you have it...yum

When I am looking to just add a bunch of veggies to a big hunk of meat, I usually buy the frozen Normandy blend of broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and squash. Add a bit of butter and some chopped fresh herbs.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Ooops, forgot: Another thing I like is veggies with pseudo-Asian peanut sauce.

I'm not a recipe kind of cook, but the basic idea is to take some peanut butter powder (such as PB2) or defatted peanut flour, and add soy sauce and rice vinegar to bring it to the right consistency (thin enough to mix readily into cooked veggies, thick enough to cling to them).

Lots of different seasonings/flavorings can be added, individually or in combinations. These could include chile paste or chopped hot peppers or hot pepper sauce, grated fresh ginger, Szechuan peppercorns, minced green onions, minced garlic, toasted sesame oil, sesame seeds, etc. If the seasonings are liquid, use a little less soy sauce/vinegar to keep the consistency right.

I especially like this on soybeans (shelled edamame), peas or green beans, with some raw chopped sweet onion (like Vidalia) added on top before serving. But it can work with lots of different veggies.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Mashed cauliflower has become a new favorite. Steam or boil til it's soft. Put it in a food processor and add roasted garlic, and any of the following: butter, sour cream, grated parmesean, cream cheese. and of course some kosher salt. You can then eat as is or if you have time put it in a casserole dish and cover with bread crumbs or a bit of parmesean cheese and bake til bubbling. Obviously, the more add ins, the more calories. I make this for Thanksgiving every year.

Roasted anything is also a fav. Pretty hands off and delicious!
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Any veggies roasted with olive oil, sea salt and sprinkled w/ a little balsamic. I could eat anything roasted.