How to choose a Protein Powder

Options
aeloine
aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
edited September 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Trying to rebalance my macros (increase protein, decrease carbs) a bit. Not following a particular diet, just playing around with my intake. Currently averaging less than 90g of protein/day, with some days seeing less than 40g. Would ideally like to hit 100g, if not 140g.

The thing is, I can't stomach seafood and don't particularly like meat. Being one of those people that would much rather eat vegetables than meat, I've been working eggs into my salads and dinners, have mushrooms almost daily, but not hitting the triple digit numbers.

How do you choose a good dietary protein powder? I'm not exactly looking for "mega-muscle building power!" but rather a way to incorporate more of it into my diet. Of course, I'd like to be able to TRY the flavors before committing to a giant bag. Is there a way to do that?

What are some of your go to's?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I like Trutein by Body Nutrition. It's a combo of whey, casein, and egg protein but I get it because I think it's yummy and you can buy single serve envelopes to try flavors. It's middle of the road priced too. I've bought it from their website and from bb.com.

Honestly, taste is going to be highly subjective as people have very different tolerances for different artificial flavors. I've seen lots of people recommend Optimum Nutrition and MyProtein too.

Do you eat lentils or beans? I found they really helped me increase the protein (and fiber) in my diet after I had maxed out my tolerance for meat and eggs. Greek yogurt and cottage cheese can help too, if you like dairy.
  • jjohnson990
    jjohnson990 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love ISOPURE no carb powder! It doesn't have a chalky or gritty taste & blends into things really well. My favorite part is that it adds the protien you need with 0 carb since you are getting carbs from your other food. I personally have only used vanilla & I like it! I get it on amazon just make sure its the 0 carb one ☺
  • rachelvz150
    rachelvz150 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love Dymatize whey protein isolate. There are about a dozen flavors and so far I haven't found one I don't like. Mixes well, no weird after taste. I order it from bodybuilding.com.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'm a MyProtein girl. They do sample sachets for not much money, and have a huge range of flavours.
    Over time, I've settled on Impact Whey natural vanilla and Impact Whey natural chocolate.
    The funky flavours are fun and all, but I'm not sure I'd still like them after a whole 2kg pouch! Plus, I can always add spices and flavours to my more basic ones anyway.
    I think they're well priced, and their UK delivery is really good - can't speak for the US side.

My gym is linked to Optimum Nutrition because the guy who owns it is a sponsored athlete, but I've never tried it. I keep meaning to, and might pick up a tub of something when I run out of what's in the cupboard at the moment. At the moment I like the simplicity of MyProtein and the fact the one I buy is literally just whey protein rather than having any other added nonsense. I don't want or need specific pre- and post-workout products, just something simple I can chuck in a smoothie or cook with when I need to.
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    Options
    With taste being so subjective you are just gonna have to go through trial and error to find what you like. Do you have friends who use protein powders? If so ask them to try theirs. Or if you go to a gym ask the people there if you could try theirs. Also most companies do sell like single servings of the products or if you go to a supplement store they usually have free samples to hand out.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Isopure. The NoCarb Dutch Chocolate is tasty and the Whey Isolate is easy to mix with anything. I prefer the Isolate in Chocolate milk, baked goods, mashed potatoes, etc...
  • WildBill_CQ
    WildBill_CQ Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I change Protein Powders like I change underwear (almost weekly) ;) I like Dymatize Elite 100% right now... it mixes pretty thick with water and has good flavor, which is how my son and I like it. I am NOT an Optimum Nutrition (ON) fan... too watery.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    With taste being so subjective you are just gonna have to go through trial and error to find what you like. Do you have friends who use protein powders? If so ask them to try theirs. Or if you go to a gym ask the people there if you could try theirs. Also most companies do sell like single servings of the products or if you go to a supplement store they usually have free samples to hand out.

Would like GNC have single serve packets? Could I go in and just get some samples?