My secret: just say no to the scale!

Options
I am getting married in 2 months, and therefore I needed motivation to get in shape for my big day. The trouble with my past diets and exercise regiments was that I was CRAZY about weighing myself. I would start to see small results, get excited, and then get discouraged to discover I had gained 2-3 pounds. I knew that it was probably muscle weight from working out, but all I could see were the numbers. This time around I decided NOT to weigh myself at all, and it is working! I have been exercising for 2 months now 3-4 times a week, and have been counting calories for 2 weeks. I see great results, and people are starting to notice I've lost weight. Since my goal is to lose 10 pounds the results will be slow paced. I am not sure what my weight loss is just yet, because I have decided not to weigh myself for another month. It has been really hard not to stand on the scale, as I used to weigh myself many times a day, but the payoff is much greater because the numbers on the scale have not had a chance to dampen my spirits. I am skinnier, stronger, and happier; who needs the scale!!? This may not be for everyone, but it has definitely worked for me.

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    The biggest mistake you can make in weight loss is to not weigh yourself.
  • daad13
    daad13 Posts: 68
    Options
    I completely agree with everything you just said! A week ago I realized weighing myself 2-4 times a day was making me very obsessive and anxious so I decided to give up the scale for the entire month of August! I mean if we all just continue to work hard and do what we're doing right now, once we finally step on the scale after a long period of time the change will *hopefully* be noticeable and then we can rejoice properly! After all, it's all about how we feel and how we see ourselves, not the number the scale gives us. Keep it all up!
  • NewLife_11
    NewLife_11 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Hey if it works for you, Great! I just can't keep away from it, I weigh in only once a week but I don't think I could go 2 months but you are right sometimes the scale flucuates and it is discouraging.
  • Rompa_87
    Rompa_87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

Actually the biggest mistake you can make is thinking of it as 'weight loss' as opposed to 'fat loss' and living a healthy lifestyle.

If you are gaining lean muscle mass, getting fitter and getting stronger then how useful is a number on a scale? My scale number says I'm overweight but it is merely due to having more muscle. It's people who always became a slave to scale numbers that end up more likely to develop poor body image and self esteem
  • Mookz0r
    Mookz0r Posts: 143
    Options

huh?

I think the OP is coming at it from a great angle - at the end of the day it's not actually about losing weight, but about being healthier and feeling better... which she's achieving really well. If I were her, I would only weigh myself the day before the wedding, knowing that you have the body you're happy with regardless of how much you actually weigh... and the "pounds lost" would just be the cherry on the top!
  • laureneva15
    Options

huh?

I think the OP is coming at it from a great angle - at the end of the day it's not actually about losing weight, but about being healthier and feeling better... which she's achieving really well. If I were her, I would only weigh myself the day before the wedding, knowing that you have the body you're happy with regardless of how much you actually weigh... and the "pounds lost" would just be the cherry on the top!

This.
    It's not healthy for the mind to focus on losing weight, one can become obsessed with that rather than becoming obsessed with being the ultimate boost which is living a healthy lifestyle.