I'm new and I don't understand "good" carbs v. bad carbs

Options
I'm just starting out, and I'm looking at my daily nutrition goals. I can count grams no problem, but I need some help in determining which are the better carbs to eat. Can you share ideas about the best types of carbs for me to have right now? Thanks

Replies

• Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition like diabetes, there are no "good" or "bad" carbs.

Some carbs do offer different benefits - fruits and vegetables often have fiber or micro-nutrients, chocolate cake improves my mood. Balance what you want to eat with what fits in your calories - I have a veggie rich salad with dinner and a small piece of chocolate cake because I want it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    chrisyhurd wrote: »
    I'm just starting out, and I'm looking at my daily nutrition goals. I can count grams no problem, but I need some help in determining which are the better carbs to eat. Can you share ideas about the best types of carbs for me to have right now? Thanks

Some carby type items also have protein and fiber. Beans & legumes are examples. Some carby type items are a good source of dietary fat. Sometimes carby items may be almost pure carbs. Jelly beans would be an example.

We rarely eat "just" carbs. Protein, fiber, and fat can help you stay full longer than "pure" carbs. Focus on overall diet (instead of one macro) and you'll be fine.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Easiest rule of thumb: Closer to nature, the better.
    Example:
    potato > bread roll
    wild rice > white rice

A "good" carb will take some effort for your body to process, where a bad or "simple" carb can go from mouth to fat fairly easily. "Good" carbs also have a sustained energy effect where a simple carb (like a donut) you'll get a quick "sugar rush" and crash.

Umm, no. This will only happen with CALORIES that go beyond what you need to consume to maintain your current weight. This will not happen to CALORIES that are consumed when you are in a deficit.

OP - I do not label carbs good or bad, they are simply a macro that I use to fill out my daily calorie goal.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    My heirarchy of importance is, Not going over calories, Then getting plenty of protein, everything else I don't sweat for right now. Losing weight is hard enough so keep it simple and don't worry about too much.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Think about what is nutritionally dense and how filling it is for the total calories.

For me, I think vegetables are important and low cal, so would consider them important to have in your diet, probably in significant amounts (I aim for 10+ servings or just focus on making about half of any meal (or more) vegetables).

Fruit for many of us is delicious and quite filling for the calories, so it also might be something you'd want to include in your diet. (I tend to have more when the fruits I love most are in season.)

Do you find potatoes and sweet potatoes delicious and filling? If so, those are good options, but be aware (of course) that in some forms potatoes are prepared with lots of fat added (fries, chips), which makes them high cal. (Nothing to do with the carbs, of course.)

Do you enjoy legumes (beans, lentils, peanuts)? If so, those also have a lot of nutritional benefits and can be filling (beans and lentils have lots of fiber).

Do you enjoy grains? If so, maybe try to focus more on whole grains, and less on more refined grains, especially if there is sugar and fat added (as with a cookie). Oats, barley, wild rice, millet, lots of grain options, and whole grain breads are often tasty. But if you enjoy white rice or pasta, they aren't "bad carbs," you just might want to see how filling they are for you for the calories. I personally find a pasta dish with lean meat and lots of vegetables filling and delicious and really nutritionally positive, so I can't see calling that a bad carb.

Dairy has some carbs -- again think of calories and what else is added (if sugar is added as with some flavored options, the calories will be more and it might be less filling).

Beyond that, soda is basically just sugar, and same with some hard candies. Many other "junk foods" and sweets are combinations of carbs (including added sugar) and fat, and are high cal (as much from the fat as the sugar) and not high in nutrients. Those are okay, but you'd want to limit how much you eat. I wouldn't call them carbs as they are often as much fat as carbs, but they are what people often mean by "bad carbs."

Hope that helps.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

No such thing as good carbs or bad carbs, it is all in the proportion of carbs in the overall diet. People in general do not eat enough fiber (which is a subset of carbs) so it is a good idea to check the fiber content of foods in addition to the total carb content and aim for 25 grams or more of fiber. Goes a long way towards helping you control your blood glucose, stay satisfied, and keeps your digestive system functioning at a high level.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    wild rice > white rice

These are two different plants, not a more and less refined version of the same plant.

Brown and white rice are the more and less refined version of rice, but brown rice isn't really much better nutritionally than white rice if you really look (the differences with protein and fiber are minimal, and it's likely we can't really get to the nutrients in brown rice and access them better from enriched white (which it always is).)

I don't much like rice (and do love wild rice), so this is not any bias on my part.
    A "good" carb will take some effort for your body to process, where a bad or "simple" carb can go from mouth to fat fairly easily.

No, simple = sugar is the primary carb source (as with fruit, among other foods) and complex = starch is the primary carb source (whether white rice or brown, a white roll or a potato). Neither is inherently "good" or "bad" or faster to digest. That's a misunderstanding of the terms.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I would just focus on counting your calories, meeting your needs for protein and fat, and then focusing on what helps you meet your nutritional needs and makes you feel full. This can vary a lot person to person. For example, I find potatoes to be very filling and satisfying while white rice is much less so for me. So I eat potatoes more often and rice less often. Someone else might be the opposite, or they may find that neither is particularly satisfying for them.

In the context of a calorie-balanced diet where nutritional needs are being met, I don't think any carbohydrate is "bad."
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Easiest rule of thumb: Closer to nature, the better.

But nature puts cyanide in apple seeds!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    There are no good and bad carbs, but there are carbs which act differently in your body, and depending on your needs and your health, different foods may fit your needs in different situations. I think most of the people you've been hearing that term from would consider smarties candy, which are mostly straight up dextrose, to be a "bad carb," but when my blood glucose is painfully low after a workout, it's ideal for me. If you are healthy and have the calories, there's no reason to be overly concerned about this.

I think what you've heard called "bad carbs" are probably quick-digesting carbs which enter the bloodstream rapidly and cause blood glucose spikes, as opposed to slow-digesting carbs which raise glucose more steadily over several hours. The usual culprits identified as bad carbs includes added sugars and refined grains, while the typical list of good carbs includes beans and whole grains.

The only problem with this way of thinking is, blood glucose reaction to different foods is very individual - what spikes me may not spike you, and it's not as simple as dividing carbs scientifically into simple and complex carbs, because the fiber, protein and fat in a food affects how quickly the carbs enter the bloodstream. I have a diabetic friend who spikes badly from fruit. I am also diabetic but I have little problem with fruit, but can't handle flour tortillas. If you are healthy and have no issues with insulin resistance, this isn't very important for you anyway, since a healthy human body regulates blood sugar efficiently.

If you find that you have cravings shortly after certain meals, you might want to look at your macros and consider cutting out rapid acting carbs which knock your blood glucose around. Same if you find your energy lagging at certain times of day, try adding slow digesting carbs such as beans or dairy.
    There's at least one more - dividing foods into good and bad creates a bad relationship with food, with can evolve into fear of anything remotely tasty, and hate of everything that sounds "healthy", and the medical issues that can come from an unbalanced diet, given enough time.
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    "Good" carbs are the ones that nourish you, "bad" carbs are the ones that don't. Sometimes, a person needs a gummy bear. You probably shouldn't live on gummy bears, but a person can't live on kale or quinoa or sweet potatoes, either. Eat a well balanced diet with carbs, protein and fats in a ratio that helps you feel satisfied. (Personally, a little extra fat helps me, but you play around and find out what works for you.) As far as carby foods I personally like: I like sweet potatoes, beets, winter and summer squashes, all of the berries, pears, clementines, and sour patch kids watermelon slices. I like whole wheat pastas (not everyone does, white pasta is fine if that's what you like) with a red sauce, Dave's killer breads, and the pear tarts my daughter occasionally brings me from the fancy French bakery near her work. You can eat anything and everything and lose or maintain your weight and enjoy your life.