Baked potato

Options
Hi all

I'm having a baked potato for dinner and my flatmate and I are having a debate whether this is a good evening food. I ran/jogged around 6k today so am pretty hungry and it's not a huge potato. Just having that with some bacon and beans but feel I need a 'filler'.

Is this a 'bad' carbohydrate?

H

Replies

• seyran
    seyran Posts: 43
    Options
    Hi, I think baked potato is ok every now and then, I would drop the bacon tho and instead add something with fiber..
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    to be honest i have them all the time! i do ALOT of exersice also the wy i see it as long as it's in your daily allowence of cals it's ok!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, no it's not a "bad" food choice.

It's a relatively unprocessed food which has carbohydrates,which your body needs. Sounds good to me.
    You could add a salad for some extra nutrition, and keep the amount of bacon down to help your sodium.
    I think you'll be getting plenty of fibre with the beans!
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    It's not the baked potato that gets you--it's the fillers that'll do you in. Try adding ground turkey, veggies, salsa ... instead of butter, sour cream, bacon, etc. You'll get a more filling and nutritious potato.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if it fits in your cals, go for it & enjoy!
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Thanks... bacon is my 'treat' today haha... I was more concerned about the potato itself from the carbs point of view. I guess with the exercise its fine - I should stop listening to my flatmate haha.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't bad!!!!!!!!!!
    Your body needs carbs to function. I'm sure in a few years we will all be wondering why we fell for the "low carb is good" approach, just as we're currently re-evaluating the "fat makes you fat" myth.

Enjoy your potato. And the bacon too :)
  • Mucky_Duck
    Options
    Baked Potatoes are fab fuel. It's not the potato that ruins ones diet but the things we slather on it normally anyhow!
  • weeze_h
    weeze_h Posts: 72
    Options
    I agree - carbs aren't bad. I get shakey if I lower my carbs so I just try to keep them in moderation, including baked potatos!
    Although I would see a baked potato and filling more as a lunch not a dinner, especially if you've done a lot of exercise today. just make sure you eat enough,'maybe pad it out with a salad on the side?
    Enjoy!
  • jragan68
    jragan68 Posts: 22
    Options
    Instead of baking my potato I dice it put it in aluminum foil with fresh mushrooms,garlic powder,pepper, sea salt and evo and bake it in the oven 350 degrees for 30 mins or on the grill for the same amount of time....I use red potatoes so they are not as bad :)
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I've not had a baked potato since I signed up here (and I used to have them a few times a week)

As a carb they are pretty high in calories for me (and I have to have them in a fair amout of olive oil and sea salt), I choose other more "efficient" carbs these days!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I love spuds, they're my running fuel and refuel of choice! They don't give me a bloated belly like a plateful of pasta or, ya know, bung things up like rice! Plus they're yummy and full of fibre!
  • azingale
    azingale Posts: 74
    Options
    As long as it's baked and not fried, I'd say it's fine! Potatoes soak up so much oil, and they're not so filling that way. Baked is much better. It grew in the ground and it wasn't processed before you got it, so it can't be all bad!

BUT - do look at the nutritional info for sweet potatoes. I've always liked them, and now they're a staple for me. Potatoes do taste good, but I've come to prefer sweet potatoes. Not only do they have a great nutritional profile, but additionally, they need less "stuff" on them to be good. If I have a sweet tooth, I use baking spices, and if I don't, I put on whatever seasonings I'm in the mood for (chipotle salt, curry powder, you name it.) I never feel like I want butter or oil or cheese with them.
  • NSkip4
    NSkip4 Posts: 21
    Options
    Just eat the damn potato!
  • Scoobies87
    Scoobies87 Posts: 379
    Options
    A 200g baked potato is only 150 calories and it's low GI. I eat jacket potatos nearly every day! And I eat bacon, just trim the fat off or turkey rashers :)

:heart: Carbs!