I don’t like myself right now..

Options
I’m 42, and just started a new job. I went from a very high energy job to a desk job. While that makes me happy because I finally have a set schedule, I’m no longer as active as I once was. Matter of fact, I gained 20 lbs. I wasn’t skinny to start out with but was happy with what I looked like. I now slid into plus size clothing and I hate it. I’m 5’9” and now 227 lbs. I’d love to lose about 30 lbs. While I’m a fairly confident person, I’m now feeling self conscious looking in the mirror. So here I go. I’m changing my nutrition (sugar cookies for lunch are probably not the best idea), and am determined to work out about 2-3 Times a week...

Replies

• MrSith
    MrSith Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    First step is starting the journey. Things happen and like everything else we must face our choices whether from past or present head on. Just stay focused and don't give up no matter if you miss a workout or eat something you believe that you shouldn't have.

The only bad choice is not making one to be a better you.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    A good start is to get a food scale (it's amazing how badly we overestimate food portion sizes) and get into the habit of logging a few days of normal eating, this can help you determine how to reduce your food intake to the calorie allowance in MFP.

With 30lbs to go set yourself to 1lb per week loss and settle in for the long haul, it's far more sustainable than trying to rush it. That will give you a deficit of 500 calories per day. If you make small changes over time, you are far more likely to stick to it in the long term, for me this was things like:
    • meal planning a week ahead and creating a shopping list based on the meal plan, so I don't have a bunch of food sitting around that I am not going to use or that I eating just because it's there (this has also saved me a fortune in shopping).
    • Making small swaps/alterations to cooking methods - I used to pan fry a lot of things in Olive Oil - Chicken, etc, I have now switched to Frylight Spray which saves me around 200 calories per meal. Instead of buying a large bar of chocolate, I keep some small bars in the fridge which are around 100 calories each. Little changes add up.
    • Foods that I can't control myself around I don't keep in the house - bread, crisps, cereal, etc
    • I too have a desk job, but I try to make an effort to get up from my desk at least once an hour, I go for a run or walk some lunchtimes and I walk to/from work.
  • emmanov22
    emmanov22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi

I know how you feel. I've been trying to diet off and on for months, but for every two or three days of being 'good' I had three days of bingeing on wine, bread, crisps etc over the weekend, and MFP calorie counting would go out of the window. "Dieting". Ha! I finally weighed myself this morning and I'm more than a stone heavier than I thought I was - 14 stone 7.5 lb and I'm 5ft 5 inches. Three years ago I lost two and a half stone (about 40lbs) and I've put all of it back on minus half a stone.I've really been deluding myself about how much weight I've put on.
    I feel a bit daunted about how much I've got ahead of me - remembering how long it all took last time - and disappointed with myself for undoing the good work.
    I know that the key is not to buy stuff I can't resist - multi packs of crisps - and if I have a treat, it has to be one treat instead of three. I also need to dial back on the wine at the weekends, or maybe cut it out altogether as my willpower dissolves once I've had a glass or two.
    Any advice gratefully received. Stay strong everyone!
    Emma
  • abryson819
    abryson819 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. Over the past seven years I've gained almost 100lbs. I keep trying to loose weight and nothing have seemed to work. I finally did an honest examination of myself and found I wasn't giving it everything I thought I was. I was actually half assing it a lot. When I would try I would give up for a few days so my body had no consistency. I'm brand new to all of this and learning to live a healthy lifestyle I've found is like learning everything else - challenging and unfortunately due to habits unnatural at first. Hang in there! The only advice I have is Day by day, journaling, meditation, and excersize.
  • pokeberry53
    pokeberry53 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think my problem isn't programs not working --its me not working. I do get in pain--but that shouldn't keep me from doing anything. I quit weight watchers, nutrasystem Curves complete, also have been very lax about a pre-diabetes class. My bloodwork was good recently so I'm not sure I even am Pre-diabetes--but I should be testing 2x a day to chart it. I'm well over 200 & only 5-5 so I feel like a roly poly although I don't look as bad as I think. I check myself at church there is a full length mirror in bath room--however I also got pix from son's wedding this summer and did not look as good as I thought. Should have worn the girdle.
  • pokeberry53
    pokeberry53 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Also quit spark people
  • JennieDiB
    JennieDiB Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm a graphic designer and have had a desk job for 10 years and it took its toll. The first 9 years of that were for a university dining services company which meant free lunch and lots of snacks brought back to the office. At this new job there are still lots of tempting snacks around, but I just choose a different path to walk that doesn't pass the department that always has cakes and cookies out to share.

I'm lucky that my new desk job is pretty flexible and I can get up from my desk when needed (which I know isn't always possible with call centers and such). I use that to my advantage and fill my water bottle very frequently. Every time I need to use the restroom I also fill my water bottle again. It helps me make sure I don't get so sucked into my work that I never leave my desk all day. It's also been great for meeting more people where I work in the break room.