New BMI

Options

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    It boosted me from 24.8 standard to 25.5 new at 5'3". I'm ultimately shooting for mid-range anyway so it won't make much of a difference at that point.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see how it correlates to health outcomes before passing judgement. It drops me .3 which is nice, but I'm skeptical, particularly since it doesn't differentiate between men and women, who have different sized bones.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I'm tall as heck. (6 ft)
    Current Weight- Standard: 23.0 New: 22.1 (Difference: 0.9)
    Goal Weight- Standard: 19.7 New: 18.9 (Difference: 0.8)

• MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I don't like this, it added 1.1 on to mine :'(
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I'm still in the healthy range.
  • hydechildcare
    hydechildcare Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    .9 off of mine! I like that from obese to overweight. Now to get to normal
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Only .2 off from 18.7 to 18.5. I'm 5'8
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    Wow, at 5'3" I could go down to 99 lbs. and still have a BMI of 18.0 :o It pushed my current BMI up 0.5 points. I have a narrow frame and small bones and I would still look emaciated at that weight. Just, no.

Isn't 18.0 underweight? Healthy weight is 18.5 - 25.
  • BootyfulBikerZX10r
    BootyfulBikerZX10r Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    when I go off just height and weight it says Im like 50% but at the gym my trainers tell me Im 41% I can never trust these calculators.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    maybyn wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    Wow, at 5'3" I could go down to 99 lbs. and still have a BMI of 18.0 :o It pushed my current BMI up 0.5 points. I have a narrow frame and small bones and I would still look emaciated at that weight. Just, no.

Isn't 18.0 underweight? Healthy weight is 18.5 - 25.

You're right - 18.5 is 102 lbs. On the old chart my lowest healthy weight is 105 lbs.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    This one added 1.3 to my BMI which means I could go down to 87 pounds and still be a healthy weight. No way would I look healthy at that weight when 100 pounds has me on the skinny looking side of healthy already.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    As if my body dysmorphia wasn't pinging enough, my BMI went up a full 2 pts and now it says 101 to 137 lbs. 137 lbs is struggle weight. Shoot I'm struggling now!
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    5’4”... increased mine & went from overweight (old) to morbidly obese (new). I call bs :-1:
  • bellaesprita000
    bellaesprita000 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I also don't like the BMI. I've always had a large frame. My childhood doctor told me to measure my waist and keep it below 35inches. New BMI is 0.7 more than the standard. Morbidly obese either way.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    Seems like the "new" BMI calculators just fudge with the margins between categories but by-and-large most ratings are unaffected.

The number in itself really doesn't matter. What matters is whether you are healthy or not. It has been well documented that people who are obese tend to have more health problems than those that don't.

Problems often associated obesity include (but are not limited to) diabetes, high blood pressure and coronary heart disease. There is no doubt that if you lose weight, you also reduce your risk for these and other potential health problems.

If your BMI rating is in the over-weight or obese categories, it's a warning that you are at risk for these and other health problems and that you should take steps to assess and address any such problems that exist.

Then again, just because your BMI rating is in the "healthy" category doesn't mean that you still aren't at risk for the same problems and, if you have a family history of such problems, it's also wise to take the steps to assess and address any such problems that may exist despite your "healthy" BMI rating.

It really is just a number after all.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Oh, I know. It's probably similar psychology to the difference between weighing 200 lbs and 199 is the same as 202 and 201. But somehow, it feels more significant. I've gone from Class III obesity (45 BMI) to overweight (29.9) in eleven months. To then be shoved back over the line into Class I obesity by the new scale is annoying. Even though it's about a .8 difference. Like if this had been posted while I was still in obesity or if I were down to 29.1, it wouldn't bug me. But because it puts me into a different category, it bugs me.

Ah well. My goal weight is healthy by both calculations.
  • ALG775
    ALG775 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to some explanation behind the new formula:
    https://people.maths.ox.ac.uk/trefethen/bmi.html

Basically, it was a mathematician who argued that people don't "scale" up in a linear fashion. He believes that BMI is just a number- but maybe this formula is more accurate.

I agree with many posters on MFP who share that BMI is more of a number to look at the general population- and that we shouldn't get too hung up on it. (I just recently learned that until 1988, the overweight category started at 27. Then they lowered it to 24.9)

However, I have found that my maintenance weight seems to put me around 25.4/25.6 on the old BMI scale, puts me at 24.8 on the new scale- and like the poster above- where there really is no difference between 201 and 202 vs 199 and 200- I do take some pleasure in being "normal".
  • svel713
    svel713 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see how it correlates to health outcomes before passing judgement. It drops me .3 which is nice, but I'm skeptical, particularly since it doesn't differentiate between men and women, who have different sized bones.

It puts me at a healthy BMI (18.8) where old BMI makes me underweight (18.1).

My doctor told me I'm super healthy, so I'm going to definitely side with new BMI.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Mine is 0.7 more on the new.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    I'm short and the new one added 0.8 to my BMI.

Me, too. Went up .7 Still healthy. I feel good. So ... meh.