Why eating too little calories is a bad idea.....

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member

Excellent read and info. I do question the 1 to 2 pound weight loss for individuals who are obese meaning over say 50 pounds. I for example started at 350. I lost weight in the early stages of my journey at around 15 to 20 a month. Then I would maintain to insure I could embrace the new changes in eating. Then I would eat in deficit and lose more, then maintain and so forth. Of course in the beginning I would gain some back as I was still learning my bodies needs. I am now at 270 with a average weight loss of 3 to 4 pounds a week. I do not undereat and some weeks the scale will go up as like anyone but the 1 to 2 pound thing in my opinion can not be the rule for all body types.

@jasummers76 that's an average 1-2 pounds per week over a longer period, my own weight swings up and down with water retention up to 5lb but those are normal fluctuations, the trend over time is still around 1lb per week. Some people who are extremely obese can lose more and I think it's recommended no more than 1% of your body weight as a weekly rate. Either way the 1-2lb rate is a general recommendation for your average person. Those who have less to lose need a lower weight loss rate, those have more to lose can get away with a bit more.
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Great advice!
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    I have a question, I'm relatively new on here. Here's my stats. I'm 5'4, I was 158 and now I'm at 138. When does the weight loss kinda come to a halt and you stop losing weight? I feel like I'm at that point and I eat about 1,300 calories a day. I'm a stay at home mom. So I say my life is pretty sedentary, except the few strength training exercises I do which it doesn't say in the app that it doesn't burn any calories. I do 60 sit ups a day, 50 v ups. A minute of side planks( each side), a minute of normal planks, every other day I do leg day 100 squats, and iron titans til my legs can't do it anymore. On tuesdays and Thursday I take my baby for a walk which is gonna have to stop here soon because it's getting cold, and I run on saturdays. My fiancé is active duty in the military and my step son is 6 and my son is 9 months. My fiancé works from about 6am to 8/9pm and I can't take my children to the gym and my fiancé gets home too late to watch the kids while I go for a run or what not.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    @tinkerbellang83 yes I weigh all of my food, yes my 6 year old is in school but it's literally impossible to get my 9 month old to go down for a nap more than 15 minutes! And what's TDEE? I'm still new to this so bare with me lol
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited September 2017
    @tinkerbellang83 yes I weigh all of my food, yes my 6 year old is in school but it's literally impossible to get my 9 month old to go down for a nap more than 15 minutes! And what's TDEE? I'm still new to this so bare with me lol

@rickiimarieee Good news some of them are only 10-15 mins long :smile:

TDEE is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (similar to your NEAT calculation which is shown in the infographic on the 1st page but accounts for exercise level as well) which is basically an approximation of what you have burned over the course of a normal day.
  • ihp2015
    ihp2015 Posts: 221 Member
    OK, so I get the whole CICO thing, but how accurate is the Fitbit in calculating calories burned? I have linked MFP to Fitbit, so my Fitbit app shows exactly how much deficit I have. However, I'm not really sure how trustworthy this calculation is.

Any ideas?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    ihp2015 wrote: »
    OK, so I get the whole CICO thing, but how accurate is the Fitbit in calculating calories burned? I have linked MFP to Fitbit, so my Fitbit app shows exactly how much deficit I have. However, I'm not really sure how trustworthy this calculation is.

Any ideas?

Those numbers are always estimates so take them with a grain of salt. Eat your deficit as it predicts and cross check with your actual weight trends over time to see if it's good or needs to be adjusted.
  • Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member

Any ideas?

None of the devices are 100% accurate, but they give you ballpark number and you have to adjust accordingly. If you're losing as expected then your device is pretty accurate, if not then reduce your calories to find a better rate of loss. I've lost 50 lbs logging and wearing a Fitbit to measure my calorie burns. I have a Blaze and it's fairly accurate. The longer you wear it the more accurate it becomes. Oops, @stevencloser beat me to it.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member

Any ideas?

When I started using my Fitbit I stopped losing weight. I was basing calories on what Fitbit says I was burning and obviously it was way off. I took off the Fitbit and never put it on again. But that's just me. Others may have a different story.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Yes, please do sticky this. I'm 84 and most days average 1200 calories but at the moment I have plateaued after losing 31lbs.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Any ideas?

After I used mine for a while I found it to be EXTREMELY accurate. But I looked at results for a while, and kind of eased into eating back all the calories (I had a lot to lose, so for me losing a bit more as I got comfortable was okay).
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited October 2017
    Yes, please do sticky this. I'm 84 and most days average 1200 calories but at the moment I have plateaued after losing 31lbs.

@smithmssycatsmithiris30 To request it to be stickied, you need to vote for it here http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260479/nominate-posts-for-announcement-status-stickies
  • tinkerbellang83
    bump
  • Elaine352962
    Elaine352962 Posts: 288 Member
    Inspirational and informative posts on here, I find it really helps me understand what I need to do to help me lose weight. I was under eating and not losing weight. I have started to weigh my food to ensure that I am eating the correct amounts and tracking everything. I need to up my protein and check out the oils and fats that I am using ( I have just started using frylight which is 1cal per spray). I tend to eat lots of veg, salads etc but my downfall is sauces , pasta and rice. I really need to watch what I eat. I don't have biscuits or cake in the house (I would eat everything), I do tend to eat a lot of fruit yogurt which isn't very good because of the sugar content. Has anyone any advice on meals that keep you feeling fuller for longer to stop snacking between meals. Thank you.