Is palm oil best avoided?

Options
Hi there!

If you buy for example the cheapest frozen roast potatoes - generally they come lathered in palm oil and are noticeably higher in Saturated Fat than others that would cost a little more and coated with sunflower oil.

Food with a high Palm Oil content also (in my opinion) leaves a nasty thick coating of grease on the inside of my mouth and lips compared to other oils?

I generally will cut my own potatoes and roast using an infused olive oil.

Back to the originally question! Is it true that Palm Oil despite not being environmentally friendly - is also one of the worst oils to consume even close to trans fats and hydrogenated oil?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    I avoid it as much as I possibly can.

Plain potatoes are cheaper than frozen ones, cut them and toss in a splash of olive oil, roast for 40 minutes at 350. Ta Da.

The orangutans thank you.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Plain potatoes are cheaper than frozen ones, cut them and toss in a splash of olive oil, roast for 40 minutes at 350. Ta Da.

I do as well. And, agreed.
  • canarysal
    canarysal Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    GP told my husband to avoid to help with cholesterol (he's not overweight but has slightly raised cholesterol).
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

I believe you'd need to distinguish between "red palm oil" (from the fruit), which is healthier than "palm kernel oil," from the kernel, which has higher sat fat content and not so many of the benefits [components] of the red. I've seen postings over time where people claim many benefits for the red palm oil, even in a couple of tbsp/day. I have no idea if any of these stories are real science or just anecdotal.

That being said, the orangutans ARE under pressure from palm deforestation on the Pacific Islands (Malaysia, I think) where this product mostly sources from. Supposedly, there are sustainable crops being planted to alleviate this, but I'm not sure you can tell which is which by label.

They also use this stuff in South America. I make a nice Brazilian fish stew, "moqueca" which usually includes red palm oil as an ingredient. I haven't used the palm oil, so apparently I've been missing a subtle flavoring (the dish without it is great IMHO). I've been tempted, but then I think of the orangs and their plight.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »

I believe you'd need to distinguish between "red palm oil" (from the fruit), which is healthier than "palm kernel oil," from the kernel, which has higher sat fat content and not so many of the benefits [components] of the red. I've seen postings over time where people claim many benefits for the red palm oil, even in a couple of tbsp/day. I have no idea if any of these stories are real science or just anecdotal.

That being said, the orangutans ARE under pressure from palm deforestation on the Pacific Islands (Malaysia, I think) where this product mostly sources from. Supposedly, there are sustainable crops being planted to alleviate this, but I'm not sure you can tell which is which by label.

They also use this stuff in South America. I make a nice Brazilian fish stew, "moqueca" which usually includes red palm oil as an ingredient. I haven't used the palm oil, so apparently I've been missing a subtle flavoring (the dish without it is great IMHO). I've been tempted, but then I think of the orangs and their plight.

That's putting it mildly. They do slash burns and the orangutans (and every other forest-dwelling creature) are burned to death in their homes. So freaking sad. For what? Butter Pecan ice cream at $3 a half gallon? It's shameful.

And yeah, I don't believe there is such a thing as "sustainable" palm oil. It's in so much processed food. Anything baked, cookies, crackers, bakery goods, frozen desserts, candy, ice cream. Soap, hair products, lotions.

All the "nut milks" like almond, cashew, coconut, soy "milk," contain palmitate.

I just don't buy any of it.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I avoid it for ethical/environmental reasons, haven't looked into health reasons.

I don't understand why you would buy pre-oiled frozen potatoes, as plain whole potatoes are super cheap and I am sure you could buy frozen ones without oil, although I never have. (Potatoes is one thing where the whole ones always seem to be cheaper and easier.)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't understand why you would buy pre-oiled frozen potatoes, as plain whole potatoes are super cheap and I am sure you could buy frozen ones without oil, although I never have. (Potatoes is one thing where the whole ones always seem to be cheaper and easier.)

I agree. Toss some cut up potatoes in a bit of olive oil (much better for you) and the seasoning of your choice. Roast at 400F for 30 minutes. Yummy.

As to palm oil, the reason for its sudden increase in use is that it is one of the few vegetable-based fats that is solid at room temperature. Food manufacturers are using it as a replacement for partially hydrogenated oils (trans fats). And, yes, to increase palm oil production to meet the increased demand, orangutans are losing habitat at record pace.

• fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I avoid palm oil when I can (and when I can't, I choose certified sustainable palm oil), but I don't think there's a very good dietary reason to do so (unless you also avoid other sources of saturated fat as well).
  • Calichusetts
    Calichusetts Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Considering how destructive it is to the environment, wildlife, and natives of southest Asia. I avoid it...let alone the nutritional reasons.
  • cougargirl1025
    cougargirl1025 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    This thread made me tear up, literally. I work in the animal industry, and I honestly have never seen a thread outside of animal sites of people discussing the environmental impacts of palm oil. You people are all correct...the palm oil industry is literally killing wildlife. There ARE "sustainable palm oil" companies...so if you HAVE to have it, use those. But truthfully avoiding it all together is best. If you want to at least try and avoid products using non-regulated palm oil, the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo has an app for your phone you can download. It has a huge database that tells you whether or not a product uses sustainable palm oil or not. So glad you are all avoiding it already, but remember it's not just in food...its used in shampoos, lotions, and other cosmetics as well.
  • seashellybob
    seashellybob Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for all of the info in this post! I truly had no idea about anything related to palm oil - besides maybe that it wasn't very good for you. Great to know about it's environmental effects as well. Something I want to try and be on the lookout for.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »

That's putting it mildly. They do slash burns and the orangutans (and every other forest-dwelling creature) are burned to death in their homes. So freaking sad. For what? Butter Pecan ice cream at $3 a half gallon? It's shameful.

And yeah, I don't believe there is such a thing as "sustainable" palm oil. It's in so much processed food. Anything baked, cookies, crackers, bakery goods, frozen desserts, candy, ice cream. Soap, hair products, lotions.

All the "nut milks" like almond, cashew, coconut, soy "milk," contain palmitate.

I just don't buy any of it.

Silk Soy Milk doesn't include palmiate and neither do Califia Farms almond and coconut milks (many vegans avoid palm oil products because of the impact they have on orangutans). There are probably other brands that don't have it either, these are just two that I am familiar with because I buy them.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I don't know how it compares in terms of nutrition benefits but I just avoid it because of the environmental concerns. There are so many other options out there that it's not something I have to think about too much.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I avoid it, for the orangutans :heart: Palm oil is not very prevalent in products here in Australia thank goodness.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    This thread made me tear up, literally. I work in the animal industry, and I honestly have never seen a thread outside of animal sites of people discussing the environmental impacts of palm oil. You people are all correct...the palm oil industry is literally killing wildlife. There ARE "sustainable palm oil" companies...so if you HAVE to have it, use those. But truthfully avoiding it all together is best. If you want to at least try and avoid products using non-regulated palm oil, the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo has an app for your phone you can download. It has a huge database that tells you whether or not a product uses sustainable palm oil or not. So glad you are all avoiding it already, but remember it's not just in food...its used in shampoos, lotions, and other cosmetics as well.

Thank You! I now have the app. While my kitchen is mostly good there are a few products in my bathroom that I will not be repurchasing.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I can't say that I have ever used or even so much as encountered palm oil. At least to my knowledge. I mostly use 2 dollar cooking spray. Though this thread makes now consider stocking up on palm oil. I tend to do the exact opposite of whatever the prevailing SJW/social nicety trends of the day are as a general rule. Just how I roll.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Actifry with 2 tbsp canola oil.

• jordanoye101
    jordanoye101 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Actifry with 2 tbsp canola oil.

They look mighty fine - with a nice batter like crunch on the outside :D