Mexican Casserole- whole family will love!!!

Options

Replies

• IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MJ5898
    MJ5898 Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    K, I'm trying it with brown rice, black beans, ground beef and full fat cheese (my kids need the fat)! And a can of green chili.

Note, if you use brown rice it'll increase the cook time, by a lot! I had it in for an hour and a half and it was still a little crunchy. But maybe next time I'll try adding the water already boiling, and making sure the foil is sealed really tight.

LOL, I had the same experience last night - used regular brown rice and baked on 375 for an hour and then 400 for another 30 minutes. Still had to microwave each portion to finish cooking the rice. Next time, I am either using instant brown rice with the water or pre-cooking the rice and baking for less time. I also threw in a bag of frozen peppers and onions from Kroger, a clove of garlic with the turkey and some chili powder, cayenne and crushed red pepper as we like it spicy. Very tasty once it was finished - just took a lot longer than using white rice. :ohwell:
  • jackiemarie
    Options
    bump!
  • LoraEllen
    Options
    Sounds great!
  • rstudebaker52
    rstudebaker52 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    K, I'm trying it with brown rice, black beans, ground beef and full fat cheese (my kids need the fat)! And a can of green chili.

Note, if you use brown rice it'll increase the cook time, by a lot! I had it in for an hour and a half and it was still a little crunchy. But maybe next time I'll try adding the water already boiling, and making sure the foil is sealed really tight.

I did it with the SteamFresh brown rice and just microwaved the rice as directed, mixed it in and didnt add the water...then you only need to cook if for about 20mins....enough to heat through
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

I did it with the SteamFresh brown rice and just microwaved the rice as directed, mixed it in and didnt add the water...then you only need to cook if for about 20mins....enough to heat through

NOW you tell me! :wink: It was good anyway.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    sounds great, gonna try it soon!
  • nelsonab
    nelsonab Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CaraRadz
    CaraRadz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I made this last night (but with black beans, fat free cheddar cheese, and brown rice), and it was awesome! My husband and I both loved it, and I brought leftovers for lunch today. It was also super fast and easy to make!
  • abby459
    Options
    I made this last night (but with black beans, fat free cheddar cheese, and brown rice), and it was awesome! My husband and I both loved it, and I brought leftovers for lunch today. It was also super fast and easy to make!

glad you liked it!!!
  • want_it_25
    want_it_25 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • hockeydad40
    hockeydad40 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Dang wish I would have read all the post prior to putting in the oven. I used brown rice as well. Dang, I usually have some brown rice pre made but not tonight.
  • ColoradoCowgirl
    Options
    Bump!
  • MamaLeague
    MamaLeague Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kmparks24
    kmparks24 Posts: 198
    Options
    Dinner tomorrow night! Thanks for the recipe! I just pulled out my ground turkey to thaw... Yum!
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    what does it mean when you say 'bump'. Sorry, new to these boards.
  • abby459
    Options
    what does it mean when you say 'bump'. Sorry, new to these boards.
    Bump just moves the topic back to top of the list and also saves it to your "My Topics" sections so you can view it later.