Tips on losing 10-15lbs?

Options
5'8" 160lbs after 2 kids! I'd love to lose weight before baby number 3 and would like to get back down to my wedding day weight (148) and maybe even further 135-140. Any idea how long this may take? I've been eating 1,100-1,300 calories a day and 4-5 days of exercise of either running or lifting weights. Anything I should change? Thanks!!

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    What does MFP tell you to do? Use the guided set up.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Eating 1100-1300 calories a day is not going to be sustainable for an active person who is your height and weight. Quick weight loss tends not to occur if you are within or close to your healthy weight range. If you use MFP's guided set-up (which is a reasonable approach), I recommend telling it you want to lose half a pound a week. From there, log your workouts and eat back at least half of your exercise calories--MFP recommends eating them all back, but the calorie burns given are in many cases high, so many people adjust them downward by something like 20-50% (i.e. cals*.8 to cals*.5).
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I would recommend finding your maintenance level (bunch of calculators online to determine this) and subtract 15-20% to determine calories. Keep protein high and fats moderate but not too low, maybe a 50/30/20 P/C/F breakdown and see how you feel. Monitor your weight loss and adjust. Finally, if your goal is to lose a predetermined amount of weight in a predetermined amount of time, i'm not sure if you will be successful in the long-run, If you plan on making this a lifestyle change than it should not matter how long it takes you to get to your ideal weight.

What you should do is figure out how to change your habits and exercise 2-3-4 days a week, eat in a calorie deficit until you lose the weight and then go into maintenance. Whatever you do now to lose this weight you need to have the mindset that you are going to do that for the rest of your life. If that seems too daunting then you have created a nutrition and workout plan that is too extreme. The goal is not to lose the weight it is to change how you approach fitness and health. Best of luck.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Cut off an arm?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    set your goal to lose 0.5 lbs per week. follow MFP's guideline, if after 4-6 weeks results are not what were expected, increase or decrease calories by a bit, rinse and repeat until you hit your goal.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    I would recommend finding your maintenance level (bunch of calculators online to determine this) and subtract 15-20% to determine calories. Keep protein high and fats moderate but not too low, maybe a 50/30/20 P/C/F breakdown and see how you feel. Monitor your weight loss and adjust. Finally, if your goal is to lose a predetermined amount of weight in a predetermined amount of time, i'm not sure if you will be successful in the long-run, If you plan on making this a lifestyle change than it should not matter how long it takes you to get to your ideal weight.

What you should do is figure out how to change your habits and exercise 2-3-4 days a week, eat in a calorie deficit until you lose the weight and then go into maintenance. Whatever you do now to lose this weight you need to have the mindset that you are going to do that for the rest of your life. If that seems too daunting then you have created a nutrition and workout plan that is too extreme. The goal is not to lose the weight it is to change how you approach fitness and health. Best of luck.

No way you need 50% protein. aim for 0.8 grams of protein per lb of goal body weight, 0.4 grams of fat per lb of body weight and fill the rest in the carbs... is a good starting point.