Alternatives to soup ... but not salad

Options
Morgaen73
Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
After fours years of eating salad for lunch I've pretty much had enough of it so for winter (I live in the southern hemisphere) I decided to have soup instead.

Summer is coming so warm soup in 32C (90F) is not going to work for me.

Any ideas for alternatives that don't include salad?

Replies

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Donuts..lol
    Sandwich?
  • Morgaen73
    Options
    whaahahaha I knew you were going to say that.

Hmm wrap maybe.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Roast vegies - you can pre bake them! They're nice cold...

Frittata - make a big tray in the oven and portion it out.
  • Morgaen73
    Options
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Spring rolls.
  • theabsentmindednurse
    theabsentmindednurse Posts: 405 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Tacos or nachos
  • Morgaen73
    Options
    Tacos or nachos

I'd love to but Mexican food is not very big here. I'll google some taco recipes :)
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    What I like to do to offset salads (I do them at least 3 times a week for work) is burrito bowls. Get some rice, seasoned meat, cheese, a bunch of veggies, salsa and you have yourself a balanced lunch. It requires a microwave and seperating some things until after the main dish is heated, but it's easy and tasty.

Also, I've been getting into sheet pan meals (where you put a bunch of stuff on a sheet pan, roast it and seperate it in to different containers for grab and go). I use Pintrest and Yummly for all of my recipe ideas.
  • Morgaen73
    Options
    awesome thanks :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I enjoy pasta with tuna/onion/celery/nuts/sweetcorn/peppers and chilli sauce - its delicious cold or warm. Its very filling and comes in at 570 calories.
  • Newlife0327
    Newlife0327 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Turkey burger no bun but all the fixings
    Mustard
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Buddha bowl - like a salad but with a grain base. Could be quinoa, brown or white rice, farro, even oatmeal. Add some legumes, a protein source, some veggies (if you're half past sick of salads you can stir fry a bunch in advance), plus a fat source like dressing, nut butter, oils, or avocado.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Cold hummus with carrots/cucumber and pita to dip in it.
    Cold zucchini cakes/vegetable based cakes that don't need heating + tzatziki
    DIY lunchables (cold cuts, cheeses, crackers, fruit)
    Cold grain-based bowls, like orzo with feta, tomato, basil, lemon, etc. Think pasta salad but with a whole grain instead of a noodle.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

That's what I was going to say. I eat a LOT of gazpacho in the summer.

I also do leftovers I enjoy cold (I love roasted chicken, bone-in, skin-on when it's cold). Lots of veggie sides are good cold too. Raw veg and baba ghanoush (IMO, way better than hummus). A pasta salad (American usage, it's not actually salad) with chicken and lots of vegetables is a good picnic dish, so should work for warm weather lunches.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    whaahahaha I knew you were going to say that.

Hmm wrap maybe.

Careful with this. Wraps may be more calories than bread in a sandwich. I can do 2 slices for 100 calories, and I can't find a 100 calorie wrap that is edible.

But it's getting cold up here so I've got a batch of chili and a batch of Thai soup in the freezer.
  • dlhatch67
    dlhatch67 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Assuming you mean mixed greens when you say salad. How about chick peas with feta and bell peppers instead?

https://www.wellplated.com/mediterranean-chickpea-salad/

Another option is to make a batch of chili the night before and eat some cold for lunch. The flavors blend and taste better the next day anyway. I use this recipe, myself, although I omit the cheese and half the kidney beans. I add chick peas, oregano, green pepper (instead of chili peppers) and bay leaves. I also put in 2 tbsp of chili powder to give it more kick.

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/beef/chili-pasta-skillet/

bon appetit
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Cole slaw? Cold chicken? Tuna "salad"? Dinner left overs? Not really getting the problem.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Any food you like. Sandwiches are obvious. If you don't want bread you could do a lettuce wrap.
    Rice balls
    Hard boiled eggs, omelets, egg muffins
    Dinner leftovers
    Bean, lentil or pasta salads
    Stew or curry

I eat soup year round. I have never understood why people who eat other hot foods and drink hot drinks like coffee or tea year round will only have soup in winter.
  • Morgaen73
    Options
    Thank you very much everyone :)