Will the pain go?!?

Options
I've changed my diet! Well I say changed. I'm eating less calories and a lot more vegetables. Was very excited about feeling the bebefits of eating lots of veg, but no! I'm in agony with belly ache!! Very much like Sheldon was when we took up cruciferous vegetable night, and thought his appendix was going to explode, but it was a fart! Will my body get use to the veg over load and if so when?!?!?!?! Edit: it's not a constant pain. Just when I need to go

Replies

• Archcurl
    Archcurl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You could be overdoing it. Or maybe you have an intolerance? Just keep going for a few days and see if it's possibly just everything getting used to the different kinds of food you are eating.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Seriously upping your fiber consumption all at once often has consequences for people. That might be it. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water, and maybe back off the veggies and build up again more slowly this time if it's too much pain for you.

Or, it might be that you have an intolerance, but that usually would also cause stool changes in addition to pain.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You could be over doing it...or it could be an issue of bumping up your fiber too quickly. Are you cooking or eating mostly raw. If I eat a lot of raw, especially cruciferous vegetables, I have issues. I cook most of my veg and have much less issue doing that since I eat a lot of vegetables.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Jayj180894 wrote: »
    I've changed my diet! Well I say changed. I'm eating less calories and a lot more vegetables. Was very excited about feeling the bebefits of eating lots of veg, but no! I'm in agony with belly ache!! Very much like Sheldon was when we took up cruciferous vegetable night, and thought his appendix was going to explode, but it was a fart! Will my body get use to the veg over load and if so when?!?!?!?! Edit: it's not a constant pain. Just when I need to go

This is the best post I've ever read. :D
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Back when I was a religious believer, I belonged to a Christian tradition that required abstinence from rich foods like meat and dairy for certain seasons such as Lent, essentially putting you on a temporary vegan diet. It always took a few weeks to adjust, but my digestion would settle down eventually.
  • oreo_cookies_1992
    oreo_cookies_1992 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It's probably just your body in a little shock.. if it's not used to this many veggies it's just adjusting. And too much of anything can have it's negative effects too.. however with veggies that's almost hard to justify :P

Raw veggies are considered the best to eat as you don't lose any vitamins .. maybe it's almost a vitamin build up? Make sure you're drinking a ton of water!

My only suggestion would be to give it a few more days. If the pain doesn't subside then maybe work on slow increasing your vegetable intake.

Good for you though, for getting more veggies!!