Abs workout

Options
Please comment below the exercises you find effective in order to achieve (flat) abs.
Also, mention how many sets and reps you do. Thanks!

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Lowering my bodyfat with a calorie deficit.. and lifting weights to help retain muscle there (especially compound lifts). I don't really do very much direct ab work. Maybe some in my yoga class and the odd plank or jacknife. I have definition, but I don't have abs unless I flex in good lighting before breakfast.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Exercising the abs doesn't flatten them. Losing the fat on top of them does and that's base on being in a calorie deficit consistently till you reach the body fat % desired.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    As others have said, fat loss and compound lifts.
    I do some variations of lifts that have more core involvement - like single arm press while lying on a swiss ball, which is harder on the core than straight bench press - but also little dedicated ab work.
    I have maybe one visible ab :D
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    As has been said quite enough. the only way to achieve flat abs is by getting to an appropriate BF% that gives flat abs.

IF you want a "four/six/eight pack"; You'll also need to do strength work that build enough bulk to be visible. Presses(Squat, etc), hinges(Deadlift/Swing), and crunches/situps/twists.
  • amywhoa
    amywhoa Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Start incorporating cardio, help burns off those calories!!!
    Watch how much your consuming, eat less than your body needs to maintain (calorie deficit)
    Definitely do whole body workouts to target fat loss everywhere.
    But some good ab workouts
    Lower abs -
    Leg raises
    Hip ups
    Scissors
    V-ups
    Rope pulls
    Plank jacks
    Plank leg lifts
    Obliques -
    Bicycles
    Plank hip dips
    Side plank holds
    Russian twists
    Upper abs -
    Crunches
    Toe touches
    Plank hand to elbows

U can pick a few from each and do 3 sets of 10-20 reps depending on your level. Or do about 30-50 reps of each 1 time through.
    There are so many more good ab workouts to do!!
  • haniame
    haniame Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If you want a flat abdomen, you need to lose overall fat. Unfortunately, you can't spot reduce. So, in a way, all exercise will bring you toward your goal!

I am already following a workout routine and don’t have fat on my abs area, so i just wanted to incorporate more exercises that others find useful
  • haniame
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Lowering my bodyfat with a calorie deficit.. and lifting weights to help retain muscle there (especially compound lifts). I don't really do very much direct ab work. Maybe some in my yoga class and the odd plank or jacknife. I have definition, but I don't have abs unless I flex in good lighting before breakfast.

Used to do yoga a few years ago and downward dog and planks really tightened the abdomen area when i was trying to lose weight and become leaner
  • haniame
    edited October 2017
    Options
    amywhoa wrote: »
    Watch how much your consuming, eat less than your body needs to maintain (calorie deficit)
    Lower abs -
    Leg raises
    Hip ups
    Scissors
    V-ups
    Rope pulls
    Plank jacks
    Plank leg lifts
    Obliques -
    Bicycles
    Plank hip dips
    Side plank holds
    Russian twists
    Upper abs -
    Crunches
    Toe touches
    Plank hand to elbows

U can pick a few from each and do 3 sets of 10-20 reps depending on your level. Or do about 30-50 reps of each 1 time through.

Thanks! Already quite small (107 lbs) just looking to get good muscle definition
  • haniame
    Options
    As has been said quite enough. the only way to achieve flat abs is by getting to an appropriate BF% that gives flat abs.

IF you want a "four/six/eight pack"; You'll also need to do strength work that build enough bulk to be visible. Presses(Squat, etc), hinges(Deadlift/Swing), and crunches/situps/twists.

21% BF AND 107lbs at 5ft1 :) not looking to lose weight, just define abdominal muscle
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    amywhoa wrote: »
    Lower abs -
    Leg raises
    Hip ups
    Scissors
    V-ups
    Rope pulls
    Plank jacks
    Plank leg lifts
    Obliques -
    Bicycles
    Plank hip dips
    Side plank holds
    Russian twists
    Upper abs -
    Crunches
    Toe touches
    Plank hand to elbows

You cannot target fat loss. Regardless of how hard you train an area. If one loses body fat, it's systematic. Meaning you lose 1% everywhere, including areas of the body you don't train. That's why for many people who lose weight, one of the first places it's noticed is the face. And how many people target train their cheeks?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • haniame
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Exercising the abs doesn't flatten them. Losing the fat on top of them does and that's base on being in a calorie deficit consistently till you reach the body fat % desired.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I’m on a weight gain regime if anything (in the form of muscle mass) not weight loss
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    haniame wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I’m on a weight gain regime if anything (in the form of muscle mass) not weight loss
    So is your concern gaining fat while trying to gain muscle?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• sardelsa
    edited October 2017
    Options
    So wait.. you are trying to build up the abs? Calorie surplus and weighted abdominal exercises (progressive overload).

However if you are bulking, keep in mind you will gain fat with muscle so the goal of "flat abs" will have to be put on hold until you cut down again
  • haniame
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So is your concern gaining fat while trying to gain muscle?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Kindly reread the original post.
  • haniame
    Options
    So wait.. you are trying to build up the abs? Calorie surplus and weighted abdominal exercises (progressive overload).
    Yes! Build up, without the protein supplements though.
  • MelkaBielka
    MelkaBielka Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't know how good it is specifically for abs generally, but I will say anecdotally that I started jogging using an app to get me to 10k from the couch. I see a lot of difference overall just from eating less and jogging. My abs are starting to feel engaged more often just doing regular things, I'm noticing some serious fat loss and my tummy is getting a lot smoother and flatter looking. Plus it feels great to get a good jog in and work my lungs hard.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Yes! Build up, without the protein supplements though.

You don't need supplements if you can get adequate protein from food.. aim for 0.8-1g per lb bodyweight/leanbody mass minimum
  • haniame
    Options
    I don't know how good it is specifically for abs generally, but I will say anecdotally that I started jogging using an app to get me to 10k from the couch. I see a lot of difference overall just from eating less and jogging. My abs are starting to feel engaged more often just doing regular things, I'm noticing some serious fat loss and my tummy is getting a lot smoother and flatter looking. Plus it feels great to get a good jog in and work my lungs hard.

I agree! :) i have done that in the past and it is very effective!! I don’t jog cause of Asthma but i do run of elliptical and treadmill and I have had similar results back in 2013-2014 when i was trying to lose weight. Lost 50 lbs