first week loss disappointing :(

Options
Hi, I've not been on here for a while (since before I got pregnant with my now 14 month old)... currently 130lbs but with a mummy tummy, looking to get down to 112-115lbs which I was pre-pregnancy. I started with a personal trainer last week and I have been so good with sticking to the programme, I've done exercise daily (a mix of cardio, core exercises and light weights), eaten super healthy food with an overall calorie deficit (I net about 1200 cal per day), but my first week weight loss is a big fat nothing! feeling very disheartened, I can't understand it. I thought people generally lose well in the first week? any advice much appreciated x

Replies

• theabsentmindednurse
    Options
    Have patience.
    Give it time.
    While we wasn't the weight loss- Yesterday, it takes time.
    I am sure the weight will come off.
    Just keep pushing and stay positive. :(B)<3
  • mer55
    mer55 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am a bit older than you, but I am experiencing a very slow loss. I am on week 3, exercise 6 days a week, eating 1200 calories faithfully, and not counting my exercise calories. First week, down 3, second week down 2, 3rd week THREE POUND GAIN!!! Meltdown at the scale that morning!! However, I KNEW this was not possible because I have been eating sooooooo healthy! I decided to measure myself, (wasnt' going to do it until the 1 month mark) and I have lost 3.75 inches all over! I know my clothes are fitting better, but that darn scale!! I have decided to stay OFF the scale and just celebrate loose clothes! I am not dieting this time. I am changing bad habits permanently. I have decided that if I exercise like I have been, eat clean and healthy, and still the scale won't budge (I know it will eventually) so be it. OUr bodies do strange things when we send them into panic mode eliminating all the junk they are used to!! Hang tough.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your new baby! Don't get discouraged by not seeing a loss in one week, you don't have a ton to lose and there are an insane amount of reasons why it might not be reflected on the scale such as sodium retention, time of month, muscle soreness etc. Stay patient, if you're adhering to a calorie deficit it will show on the scale eventually. Keep up the great work.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    You're not overweight as such so you will find weight loss will be slower and that's the best way. If it goes off slowly then it doesn't come back on as quick!

Netting 'about 1200' a day is all fair and well as long as you are accurately tracking your calorie intake and not overestimating your calorie burns from exercising.

Aim for 0.5 to 1lb loss per week.

Also if you're new to exercising that will mask any loss as your body holds on to water for repairing the muscles.

It takes patience. In a months time you will see changes in your body.

All the best. :smile:
  • KayTeeOne
    KayTeeOne Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I lost more in second week than the first. Good luck
  • kirstens1984
    kirstens1984 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the motivation :) feeling a little better about it today, I've actually stepped on the scales this morning after not doing for a few days and I'm 3lb down. I guess my body was playing tricks on me / getting used to the new lifestyle. I can't see changes yet, but I know soon enough I will start to. I can't wait to get my old body back! Thanks again and good luck everyone xx
  • pennysownpolicy
    pennysownpolicy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the motivation :) feeling a little better about it today, I've actually stepped on the scales this morning after not doing for a few days and I'm 3lb down. I guess my body was playing tricks on me / getting used to the new lifestyle. I can't see changes yet, but I know soon enough I will start to. I can't wait to get my old body back! Thanks again and good luck everyone xx

• Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hay you had a week where you didn't gain weight! Way to go!

Remember, weight loss isn't linear. Water weight fluctuates with changes in exercise, sodium, hormones, sleep amounts and a dozen other things. Give it some time, and look for a downward trend over the next month.
  • chixwithglasses
    chixwithglasses Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Your system is probably taking a pause because you are doing a number of new things. Next week is likely to show a weight loss.