Almost a year under my belt and almost a third of a way to goal. (47 pounds lost)

Options
I started MFP for the third time on December 30, 2016. That was my anniversary, and I allowed myself to enjoy the buffet we went to to celebrate, but I tracked my food for the day anyway and count it as my first day. I started trying to stay at/just under my calorie goal the next day and tracked pretty faithfully for the next four months or so. I dropped about 35 pounds in that time frame, then I took about a four month diet break and ate at maintenance.

I still lost about 3-5 pounds during that diet break, and always knew I'd come back when I was ready. When I was ready, in the middle of August, I came back and started tracking faithfully again. I've been logging in and tracking for 46 days now, and it feels like no time has passed at all. I've lost about another 10 pounds, making my total weight loss 47 pounds as of this morning.

Height: 5'7
SW: 307
CW: 259.2
GW: 150 (soft goal, that's in the middleish of the BMI chart for my height, I'll readjust my goal when I get close, the last time I was close to that weight I was twelve, and I have no idea how I'll look when I get there)

Current short term goal is 255. That puts me at a BMI of 39.93 which is Obese Class II. I was a BMI of 48.08 when I started, or Obese class III according to bmi-calculator.net. My goal is to reach this short term goal by my birthday at the start of December, which I should have no trouble doing.

I have recently added in exercise to my routine. I try to walk twice a week, but my walking routine depends very much on my bad knee. I had a tendon moved to prevent my kneecap from slipping out of place four years ago, and because it's mechanically abnormal, it is often hurting. Sometimes I can walk three miles without pain, sometimes I can only walk one. So I bought an inexpensive stationary bike and ride it daily.

A friend of mine who is a trainer is working with me to create a resistance routine that takes into account my physical limitations, and I'll start adding that into my routine in the next couple of weeks.

My diabetes A1C has dropped (with the help of medication, but I am off of my insulin (metformin tried to kill me)) from a 6.4 to a 5.9 and 5.7 is the lower limit for pre-diabetes. My cholesterol with medication is right where it needs to be, so I hope I can ditch my statin and triglycerides medications by my next test in May. I would like to put my diabetes in remission by this time next year, but that may be a bit steep of a goal, but I have faith that by the time I get to my goal I'll get there.

My ultimate goal is to take the next two years to take off this next 100ish pounds. I know weight loss will slow down drastically the closer I get to goal, and I'm not in a hurry. It took 37 years to put the weight on, if it takes three years to take it off, I'll be very happy indeed.

I have a plan for maintenance already, and have been reading the maintenance forum for advice and tips for when I do get there. I figure it's not to early to start thinking about what I'm going to do after the weight loss period is over, because I do not ever want to do this again. I want this to be the time that sticks.

Here's a picture of me from May of last year, and a picture of me at 264 pounds, taken a couple weeks ago. (I'm losing too fast now, so I'm upping my calories a few hundred to slow down) Future progress pictures will be taken in the green top and leggings so I can get a better idea of how I'm progressing. It's a subtle change, because I had a lot of very firm fat, and now that fat is very squishy, but if you look closely you can see some subtle changes.

vjvwv2ho48kz.jpg

Replies

• dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Wonderful - Well done
  • LillysMomma09
    LillysMomma09 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Great job!! Keep up the good work!
  • SweetP27
    SweetP27 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Great job!!
  • seashellybob
    seashellybob Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This an amazing narrative showing off your hard work! Thank you for sharing it!
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    This an amazing narrative showing off your hard work! Thank you for sharing it!

Thanks! To be honest, it's hard for me to be succinct. I tend much more toward verbose and giving way more information than any sane person wants to read. :D

I do, at least, try to break up my writing into paragraphs to make it easier to read... ;)
  • hoffman2300
    hoffman2300 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing your journey, your pictures and the inspiration. I can totally see the difference in the pictures and you look great. I'll look forward to hear about more successes!
  • dkayingram
    dkayingram Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!! Keep up the good work!
  • bronaghCPM
    bronaghCPM Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! you are doing amazing! Once I start doing something I find I want everything yesterday, so your post has really inspired me to slow down and look at the bigger picture.
    Thanks so much for sharing!!
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Great job! I was on statins for years for high cholesterol but was finally able to get off of those after losing the weight. Keep on truckin'.
  • jmbeckford
    jmbeckford Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Congrats to you. My current goal is also 150, a weight i havent seen since 5th grade. i'm curious to see just like you! Bravo on the hard work and thanks for the inspiration.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    Options
    bronaghCPM wrote: »
    Congratulations! you are doing amazing! Once I start doing something I find I want everything yesterday, so your post has really inspired me to slow down and look at the bigger picture.
    Thanks so much for sharing!!

@bronaghCPM I want it yesterday too TBH. I'm ready to be DONE with weight loss and move on maintenance. But I'm not there yet, and I just have to be patient. Patience is NOT one of my virtues, so it's realllllllly hard some days. :grin: We'll get there though! Do like Dory and just keep swimming!

• EatingAndKnitting
    Options
    I love that you have set realistic weight loss goals, are focusing in on key health factors such as lowering your A1C and cholesterol, have added movement to your routine with a backup movement plan when your injury makes it not doable and have already started researching and planning for maintenance. THIS is a success story! THIS is the type of post I want to point to when people are looking for sustainable weight loss. You will most definitely reach your goals with the planning you've done and the attitude you have. Congrat's on your loss so far (you look great) and keep up the amazing work :)

Oh, thank you so much. This is quite a compliment, and I appreciate it. I look forward to coming back in a couple years, and linking to this post and saying "Remember me? Well I did it!". That will be a good day. <3
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    jesslla wrote: »
    I love that you have set realistic weight loss goals, are focusing in on key health factors such as lowering your A1C and cholesterol, have added movement to your routine with a backup movement plan when your injury makes it not doable and have already started researching and planning for maintenance. THIS is a success story! THIS is the type of post I want to point to when people are looking for sustainable weight loss. You will most definitely reach your goals with the planning you've done and the attitude you have. Congrat's on your loss so far (you look great) and keep up the amazing work :)

Oh, thank you so much. This is quite a compliment, and I appreciate it. I look forward to coming back in a couple years, and linking to this post and saying "Remember me? Well I did it!". That will be a good day. <3

You're welcome :) Make sure you do! I come back every year and add to my success story as a reminder of where I came from. Cheers!
  • EatingAndKnitting
    Options
    jesslla wrote: »

You're welcome :) Make sure you do! I come back every year and add to my success story as a reminder of where I came from. Cheers!

That's a good idea, because I know the loss is the only the beginning of this "journey". I know a lot of people hate that term, but I can't think of a different one, sorry. :)

In some ways losing looks easier than maintaining does right now. There's a defined goal, and everything that goes along with that. But with maintenance you have to keep making new goals to keep yourself on track.

I can do it though!
  • shakenbake57
    shakenbake57 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing I needed to hear this today I've taken a break for a couple months and have not gained but back at it - this was the motivation I needed!
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,874 Member
    Options
    Amazing job. Amazing attitude. You will get there!! :):)
  • Jenn3452
    Jenn3452 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Keep it up your doing great!!! :)
  • EatingAndKnitting
    Options
    Thanks for sharing I needed to hear this today I've taken a break for a couple months and have not gained but back at it - this was the motivation I needed!

@shakenbake57 It's hard to come back after a break! But I found that when I committed to coming back after mine my motivation actually increased long enough for my habits to form again. Good luck to you, and I know you can do it! <3
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!