Same exact weight for over a week

Options
So I was away from my scale from Sunday through Thursday but my past five times I've been on the scale I've been exactly 149lbs. My diet has fluctuated, I've had heavy lifts and I've eaten a lot of sodium late in the evening. I weigh myself naked each morning after I use the rest room. I would think my weight would fluctuate some right? I would expect like 149.4, 149.2, 150.1, 148.8 over these days and not exactly 149 every time. I'm not complaining because I like that number but it's weird to me and makes me think my scale is crazy.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't see a lot of fluctuation on weekly weigh ins...daily yes...but then the trend would show a slow decline if actively losing.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Yep, you might need to clear your scale by holding something that weighs a few pounds. Some won't reflect changes outside a certain tolerance.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Some scales do this. Step on it with something heavy to reset it. I solved this problem with buying a new scale which is programmed diffrently.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Yes, some scales keep your "history" in their little head and if you are anywhere close use that number. Definitely need to shake it up a bit - change batteries, try a weight etc.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I've had the same thing happen! I'd come to expect/accept the whole "weight loss isn't linear" so your weight chart will look like mountain foothills thing, but then for about a week I was the EXACT same weight every day. Even though my routine was as varied as usual. Eventually it started moving and goes up and down again. I wouldn't worry about it unless it last more than a week or two.
  • amietest
    amietest Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I know it doesn't matter but it drives me a little crazy when I see the same number for more than a few days. So I pop a battery out then back in and weigh again. Then the readimg moves a couple of decimal points.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    Yes, some scales keep your "history" in their little head and if you are anywhere close use that number. Definitely need to shake it up a bit - change batteries, try a weight etc.

Is this actually documented somewhere or is this merely a bit of 'folk wisdom'? If the former, doesn't that negate the purpose of having a scale altogether?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    aylajane wrote: »

Is this actually documented somewhere or is this merely a bit of 'folk wisdom'? If the former, doesn't that negate the purpose of having a scale altogether?

I have a scale that does this. I'm not sure what kind of documentation you want for it. When I use it, I first get on holding something heavy. Then after that weight registers I get on and weigh only myself in order to get that day's weight. The next day I have to repeat the heavy weight/ normal weight weigh-in.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I had a scale that did this and it drove me nuts as well. But simpler than grabbing a weight is to step on it with one foot, and the other still on the floor. Shows some silly light weight, but resets it. Then step on it normally.

My current scale doesn't have this issue.

Here's my old thread on the issue.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10485204/dumb-scale-question-weight-watchers-scale
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Meh...it happens.