Hopelessly Unmotivated

Options
Joined the program a while ago, but have decided to venture on the message boards. I am trying lose a few punds, but mainly get fit and healthly. I am pretty good at recording my meals, which has given me some good insight into what I am eating and where I can cut back, exercise however is another matter. I seem to be having trouble fitting it into my busy life sytle. I have a hard getting up in the morning before work and inevitable by the end of the day something else comes up or I am completely exhausted from the day. Any tips or suggestions to dragging myself out of bed in the morning?
Thanks!

Replies

• rosaly1
    rosaly1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You did a good thing buy joining. It's a step in the right direction. Find things that get you active that you enjoy doing. I find thats the only way I stay motivated. Be sure your having fun, think of this as not a sacrifice, but a reward!
  • jules0348
    jules0348 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I bought a fitbit and joined a bunch of challenges with my friends
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I know it will sound impossible, but if you can get out of bed earlier and do even a 20 minute run/ walk on a treadmill, or ride a bike, you will have a much better day.

It takes guts to climb out of bed and get going, but soon you will feel SO much better. This comes from a person who hates mornings. ;)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    jwitcik wrote: »
    Joined the program a while ago, but have decided to venture on the message boards. I am trying lose a few punds, but mainly get fit and healthly. I am pretty good at recording my meals, which has given me some good insight into what I am eating and where I can cut back, exercise however is another matter. I seem to be having trouble fitting it into my busy life sytle. I have a hard getting up in the morning before work and inevitable by the end of the day something else comes up or I am completely exhausted from the day. Any tips or suggestions to dragging myself out of bed in the morning?
    Thanks!

You don't need to exercise to lose weight (that's the good news - MFP calorie deficit doesn't take into account purposeful exercise), however it is good for your overall health.

I too am not a morning person, for those who can get out of bed in the morning earlier than they need to - fair play, that will never be me :lol:

What I DO manage to do though is get out for a run/walk at lunchtime a couple of times per week and do a 20-40 minute youtube work out a couple of times per week at home, when I first started out, I would make a point of leaving my workout clothes on the bed so they were staring at me when I got in from work, then when I got into a routine I actually looked forward to getting home and doing my workouts and I have a lot more energy from getting fitter.

When people say they struggle because they are too busy 9/10 it's an excuse, 30 mins is just 2% of your day.

Someone mentioned already above increasing general activity and doing things you enjoy, there are plenty of ways to start slowly increasing your activity levels:
    • Public Transport User? Get off/on a stop earlier if you can
    • Driving? Don't use the car to nip to the local shop because it's convenient and when you go shopping park further away in the car park
    • At work/school - if you have a desk job get up and walk around once an hour. I also sometimes go jog on the spot in the bathroom.
    • At home - try to spend less time sitting down, I have drastically cut down the amount of time I am sitting watching tv. I maybe watch 1-2 hours a couple of times per week now.
    • Out and about - take the stairs instead of a lift/escalator.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting lots of protein, it can help with having more energy. I have found there is a big difference between eating enough protein to get the lowest level needed for health and eating enough to be at an optimum level.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It's not about motivation, it's simply a decision to change your lifestyle. Once you make the decision the motivation comes naturally. As long as you aren't ready to make that decision it won't happen.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    What is your motivation for getting up and going to work? Probably b/c you want the results of such action, which is a paycheck.

Why should the source of motivation for getting up and working out be any different? When you really want the results of such action (losing weight, getting fit), you will find the motivation.
  • nathanialt
    nathanialt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    MFP may not take in to account "purposeful exercise" but your body does. Re-joined several months ago and have been consistently at or below my target calories from day one. Target weight loss is 2 lbs a week. I've dropped 5 lbs in two months! Two weeks ago I started walking 20-30 minutes every morning and have lost 5 more lbs. Two weeks vs two months. Sounds like my metabolism needed a kick in the pants. Do anything to get your heart rate up and your body will continue burning calories at an increased rate for as long as 12 hours. Maybe only an extra 100 or so calories but that gives you a banana that you couldn't have fit in before. Or, if you are like me, a beer. Those are equivalent in overall nutritional value you know. :)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    nathanialt wrote: »
    MFP may not take in to account "purposeful exercise" but your body does. Re-joined several months ago and have been consistently at or below my target calories from day one. Target weight loss is 2 lbs a week. I've dropped 5 lbs in two months! Two weeks ago I started walking 20-30 minutes every morning and have lost 5 more lbs. Two weeks vs two months. Sounds like my metabolism needed a kick in the pants. Do anything to get your heart rate up and your body will continue burning calories at an increased rate for as long as 12 hours. Maybe only an extra 100 or so calories but that gives you a banana that you couldn't have fit in before. Or, if you are like me, a beer. Those are equivalent in overall nutritional value you know. :)

Likelihood of not losing as much as expected is that you were either underestimating your food intake or overestimating your calorie burns, also weight loss isn't linear, water weight can often mask early losses, especially if you're fond of a beer or two :wink:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    FOCUS!, how bad do you want it?>>> get up and get it!, I will be your life coach!
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I am up and out of the house at 6:50am to bring my youngest to school. (one of 3 boys) At work by 7:15am every day and of course its a nice little sedative desk job til 5pm go back to the school to pick up my son from football practice get home around 5:45 and the last thing I want to do after cooking and cleaning up is work out, I just wanted to hit the couch. Being that fitness was the drive for losing weight in the first place I decided to get myself a fitbit. Yeah, wanna know how lazy you are on the daily put that little rubber band on your wrist... :o That was an eye opener for me... being competitive in nature that little rubber band pushed me to get my steps in daily. I started by eating my lunch at my desk then taking the 30 minutes I had for lunch and walked around the block then added another etc. It also tells you to get up every hour on the hour so I would take that time to refill my water and go to the bathroom and walk in place to get a least 250-500 steps... really doesn't take that long to do, no one will miss you and you kill two birds with one stone... water intake and steps :p As this became a routine, I would always feel amazing after getting my steps so I decided to add a zumba class in, because really its not exercise its dancing for an hour right>.. well one class lead to two classes a week then a pound class in addition to the daily walks. Next thing you know you are in a routine and it become just part of your daily life. Your motivation comes from within... like the above poster said, how bad do you want it? If you want it, you will make time for it... if you don't, you will make excuses. Go and get it!! You will thank yourself 3 months from now B) Good luck!
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    You can get some splendid exercise just by taking your lovely children to the park or back yard and running around with them like a crazy person. Why while away your time on a treadmill when you can play tag? Or chase them through the tunnels and climbing apparatus on the playground? Or take them on a nice bike ride, towing the little ones in a trailer? There are so many things you can do that will benefit both your children's lives and your own health.

Fitness doesn't have to happen in a gym.